Dead in the Water

Secrets Between Friends

(Amanda’s POV)
I told the taxi driver where to drop me off once I got a hold of a cab. I had him drop me off in front of Pete’s place. I was lucky I remembered which street it was located on for L.A. is a big city. When I stepped out of the taxi, I saw my car parked on the street.

I walked up to the door and knocked on it. This was not going to be good and I know I was going to have to lie to protect Brendon from Pete. I could not tell him that Brendon kidnapped me or he would definitely seek him out on purpose and I could not have that. If he did, Beckett would surely find out and attack Pete far worse than he has recently.

I heard the door unlock and I saw a sleepy Erelin crack the door open. Then I heard her give a slight scream and saw her fully open the door. Did anyone think I was still breathing? She screamed as if I was ghost.

“Where the hell have you been?” She said yanking me by the arm and dragging me inside as she locked the door back up. I looked around to see a blanket on the couch, which explains why she was sleepy. I guess no one could sleep after what happened with me, and Nonnie disappearing last night.

“Wow. Chill woman.” I said walking towards a chair to sit down on.

“Everyone is sleeping so we have to be quiet. I want to wake them but its been a rough night with you and…” She started to say.

“I know, with me and Nonnie being kidnapped.” I finished for her.

“Wait, how did you know about Nonnie?” She asked.

“I talked to Sisky on my cell phone an hr or so ago. I woke up against our apartment door in the hallway of our complex. I had my keys on me and went inside to see if you were there. You were not, so I took a shower and then he called me. Plus, you told me in one of your twenty messages. Did you forget?” I asked laughing.

“Yes, I suppose I did.” She said.

“So how are you here? Where were you? I saw Brendon take you.” She said upset.

“If I tell you will you promise not to tell Pete?” I ask. “If Pete knows where I was he will kill Brendon for sure. I am going to use the story that vampires took me but I got away.” I said.

“I promise I won’t. Your sister was asking me questions about Brendon, Nonnie and you. She thinks there is a connection in your disappearances. She also heard me say that Brendon took you.” Erelin replied nervously.

“You didn’t tell her anything did you?” I asked.

“No.” She said. “That, I shall leave up to you to explain. Poor Joe is so upset that Pete had to force him to sleep.” Erelin added.

I began to tell her what had happened to me and what I learned about this Frank guy from Brendon. I told her how Brendon made me see how he was turned and how he tried to save Pete but that Pete believes he set him up. I also told her that I think Frank is the one who has Nonnie and that if I see him he is getting it from me.

“Wow. Brendon really is a good guy then.” Erelin said taking everything in.

“Yes. He isn’t as shady as I thought.” I replied.

“Did he mention anything about me?” She asked with her face lighting up.

“He says that he is sorry for scaring you by taking me. He did not mean to. He says he would protect you at any cost but you have to stay away from him.” I said.

“He said that I have to stay away from him?” Erelin asked hurt.

“No, I am telling you. With Beckett out there right now, one slip up from Brendon and Beckett comes after you. I am the slayer and it is me that Beckett wants, if he finds out who I am. I cannot afford for him to come after you if he learns that you are next in line.” I said.

“It’s not fair.” Erelin said mad.

“I know.” I said.

“No you don’t know. You have had Micah and maybe Sisky now pining away for your attention and Elissa has Pete. I want a vampire boyfriend. Besides, Brendon is just too hot and mysterious for me to walk away from.” Erelin replied.

“Erelin…” I did not get to finish.

“No. Just stop right there. I don’t want to hear anymore.” She said. I know Erelin and I knew that she was going to see Brendon whether I told her to or not.

“Just be careful.” I said.

We talked a little more and then Erelin made us a late breakfast. By three thirty pm, everyone started to wake up and head downstairs where I had to tell my lie to everyone. When my sister and Pete came downstairs, Elissa started screaming and almost tackled me to the floor hugging me. Joe was the last one to come down.

I could not take how miserable he was. I decided that I would tell everyone about Frank leaving out the details of Brendon. Joe seemed to be a little better when I told him that Frank was a good vampire but that did not make it easier on him. I wanted to hug him and tell him that Nonnie would come around but after everything that she had told me, I was not sure about that. What if she decided to stay with Frank and convinced him to turn her as Micah’s ex turned him? Do not think like that Amanda.

When the dust settled on my return, I started to train until night fell and Sisky showed up. I explained everything to him and he kept his word from earlier that he would not tell Pete about Brendon. I told him about Frank. I even told him that I had some questions for him about Beckett. Those I was going to save for our date.

I stood there for a minute realizing as Sisky spoke to me that Sisky was not such a bad guy after all and was loyal. He was also cute and had a smile I could die for. Being easy on the eyes did not hurt either. All of these things, I did not pay any attention to the other night.

“Well are we going out patrolling to find Nonnie or what? I want first dibs on this Frank guy.” Joe said slamming his fist down on the kitchen counter as we all picked out our weapons.

“We are going?” I said being the first one at the door to head out.

There was a knock at the door as I was about to open it. I turned and looked at everyone puzzled at who it could be. I opened the door slowly knowing that if it was a vampire, they could not hurt us because they were not invited in. What I saw was a shock and a surprise. It was Frank standing in front of me.

Instead of Joe grabbing first dibs, I tackled Frank down to the ground hitting him several times in the face. I think I busted his nose. “What did you do with Nonnie?” I screamed. “Is this a game to you to kidnap her away from us?” I yelled still pounding away.

“Amanda, wait! Don’t hurt him!” I heard Nonnie scream as I suddenly stopped and I felt two arms pull me off Frank. I turned around to see that it was Sisky, who had pulled me off Frank.

“Sisky, why did you pull me off him?” I asked confused.

“Amanda even though I heard everything that you told me, Frank is my friend too.” Sisky replied.