Dead in the Water

I Work Alone

Once I had settled into my new digs, I explored the city for the first few days and found a hospital where I could find blood. I met a guy, who worked in the morgue and was a vampire just like me as I snuck around the hospital. His name was Adam and after some convincing, became my contact for blood packets. He was very nice and into the saving the world thing.

When I received all the blood I would need for a week, I took it back to the hotel I was staying at which was an expensive place. I placed it into my refrigerator and then decided I wanted to go out dancing. Some of the best places to catch vampires were at the clubs.

I packed some stakes in my pockets and dressed accordingly to pick up guys, which I hoped would be vampires. I then walked down the boulevard I was on and headed into one of the clubs. The whole place was packed full of people and vampires. It was just how I hoped it would be.

I was there for only an hour dancing and having a good time killing any vampire who came my way, when I felt a good feeling wash over me. There was a good vampire, which had just walked in the club. I work alone but I still had a curiosity about who it was. Maybe I would run into them again.

I had my eye on a dude who was hitting on this girl at the bar. She was about to leave with the vampire until I stepped in. I did not want to cause a scene and hoped it would not lead to one.

“Beat it, missy.” I said to the girl.

“Hey! He is mine. I saw him first!” The girl whined.

“Hey, there is nothing wrong with having two beautiful girls by my side.” The vampire chimed in. He was definitely a hottie, but too bad he was a vampire.

“Sorry, but I work alone.” I said to the vampire grabbing him and pulling him into a steamy kiss which I hated to do but I had to get the girl away from him.

“Scram, girl!” He yelled to the girl who stormed off dejected.

“How about we take this outside?” I asked the vampire.

“Sure. Your place or mine?” He asked.

“Oh, we shall decide once we get out of here.” I said playing with his hair and noticing his big grin on his face.

We walked outside of the club and walked down the street a few blocks. I had not paid any attention that I had been followed, as soon as we left the club. The vampire once we were clear of the club then turned to me and grinned a wicked grin like Ian gave me before he turned me. My fist clenched and the other one headed to my jeans pocket to grab my stake.

“You would look so good not breathing.” The vampire said trying to lean in closer to me.

“Too bad I am already dead!” I snapped pushing him to the ground.

“What!” The vampire said trying to get up.

About that time, the rest of his crew ambushed me. “Get her!” The main vampire yelled.

There were four of them and with the vampire I was trying to kill, it made five all together. I was outnumbered and I liked those odds. I was a risk taker.

“How many vampires does it take to kill me, guys?” I said laughing at them as I killed two of the vampires. “I mean, seriously, is that all you got?” I said.

I was ambushed then and pinned to the ground. “You are one of them, I see.” The vampire I lured out of the club said whipping out a switchblade.

“We don’t take kindly to those who refuse to join us.” One of the vampires said as he held me to the ground.

“How about we mark off your pretty little face?” The other one growled as I whipped my fangs out.

“I wouldn’t do that.” I said warning them ready to spring back into action.

About that time I felt arms let go of me and heard a loud crash. As I got up to my feet I saw a guy, who looked to be about 5’7, which was my height, with dark hair and brown eyes knock one of the vampires into a car as he fought off my other captor. I went after the one who I lured out here and staked him as the stranger staked the one he threw into the car.

He was the good vampire I felt in the club. I looked at him curiously, as he held his stake in his right hand, unsure if he should come after me. I was a little confused because I thought all of us good vampires could sense each other.

“Thanks for the save but I think I could handle it.” I said to the stranger.

“You are a vampire.” He said to me still in a fighting stance.

“Look, I am not here to hurt you and yes I am a vampire.” I said but with him attacking me after I said it.

“You don’t want to do this.” I snapped as I flipped him down to the ground and pinned him as I knocked his stake out of his hands.

“Pete! We got to go; there is trouble at the docks!” I heard someone yell to the good vampire I had pinned.

I looked into his eyes, which caught me by surprise. I think he thought I was going to kill him. I heard more shouting and so I bent down and kissed him on the mouth. As I got up and let him go I said, “I work alone but maybe we shall see each other again.” Then, I took off, quickly vanishing.

I climbed up on a rooftop of a building and had many thoughts run through my head. The vampire’s name was Pete. He was definitely strong and gorgeous at that.

Why did he not know I was like him? In addition, why do I want to see more of him? I try to work alone but I cannot help but hope we will work together again soon. After all, he did save my life and so I must repay the favor.