Dead in the Water

Second Chances

(Nonnie’s POV)

“Frank!” I yelled out into the darkness that surrounded me. I was scared. It’s been a long time since I admitted to anyone my fear of the dark. I mean not the dark of your bedroom at night. I mean complete darkness. Like what’s surrounding me right now. “Frank!”

“I’m here,” he said wrapping his arms around me. Suddenly we were in the room I woke up in when I hurt my head. Everything that happened came rushing back to me and I pushed him away. He looked at me hurt. “Nonnie I had to…”

“No Joe was right. All my friends were right.” he took a step toward me and I stepped back.

“Nonnie stop.” my whole body froze. I was scared of him and he could tell. “I’m sorry but I had to do that. There were too many for you and I to fight off by our selves.” he took another step toward me, I tried to move back but I still couldn’t. “Nonnie if I hadn’t bit you they would have…they wouldn’t have stopped they would have killed you. I couldn’t let that happen. I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have let you come.” he closed the small distance between us and wrapped his arms around me. Suddenly I was able to move, but all I wanted to do was hug him back.

“Frank I was…I was so scared. Can you take me home?”

“Baby when you wake up you should already be there. Amanda kicked my ass on the docks and took you from me.” I laughed.

“I’m sorry baby. I’ll talk to them.” he looked away from me.

“No don’t, there’s no need. I’m leaving town tomorrow night.”

“No please,” I begged, “Frank if you leave…”

“You will be better off.”

“Frank if you leave me again I’ll die.” I said it and I meant it. “It almost killed me the first time. I can’t go through it again.”

“Nonnie, me being here is causing you more trouble…” I cut off his words with a kiss. I could tell he was trying not to respond so I kissed him harder. I wouldn’t be denied. Finally he started kissing me back. “Frank if you ever loved me. If you…” I said breaking our first kiss since he died.

“I have always loved you and I always will.” he said then he kissed me again.

“Nonnie…” suddenly he disappeared.

“Nonnie, wake up. Please wake up,” I heard Joe say.

“Frank.” I said opening my eyes.

“I’m going to kill him.” Joe said. “I told you that you couldn’t trust him. I told you…”

“Joe stop yelling at her.” Amanda said. I reached up to my neck, someone had put a bandage over the bites, but it ached so much.

“Amanda you beat up Frank?” I asked.

“Damn strait I did and you need to stay away from him… Wait how did you know that?”

“He told me and He only bit me to keep them for getting to me first. There were too many of them to fight.”

“He should have known better than to take you there.”

“He didn’t take me there I was just walking…I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and we were ambushed.”

“I don’t care he could have found another way…”

“Stop it already. Frank would never hurt me.”

“Well he sure could have fooled us with those bite marks you got there.” Pete said walking into the room.

“Please just give him another chance,” they all looked at me like I was crazy. “It won’t happen again.”

“I really want you to stay away from him. Nonnie,” Pete said. I took a deep breath.

“What if I only see him when someone else is around will that work?”

“Like a chaperone?” Pete said.

“Exactly. That way if one of you thinks I’m in danger you can protect me.” I knew this deal wouldn’t last long. Everyone of them had their own lives and wanted to be able to go and do other things than baby-sit me and Frank.

“Okay, but if he tries anything who ever is watching you guys will kill him without a second thought.”