Status: I think I have the cutest subscribers. Seriously, you gals are amazing and sweet! <3 And also, thank you for reading.

Your Colorful World vs. My Black and White World

The 5th Chapter

It was a lonely and silent Saturday night for Zacky. He was busy playing his electric guitar at its lowest volume. His band mates hadn’t spoken about a new album as of yet, but he wanted to be as ready for it as he could. The more music he already had made for new songs would be best rather than having to start anew while in the studio.

That evening, Abby called Zacky, informing him that she was bored and wanted to go out. It was short notice for him, but spending time with Abby was always fun. They held a short conversation, agreeing to meet at his house in an hour’s time.

After dressing, Zacky waited outside in the warm California air. He decided to go for the preppy look, wearing his signature white button down shirt and navy blue sweater vest along with his jeans rolled up a feet inches from his ankles and black sneakers. Some said that he looked stupid in this manner. He could really care less.

Abby pulled up in front of Zacky in her red Volkswagen beetle. He stepped into the car, cringing. He hated riding in the car. It made him feel feminine and his manliness factor always went down a few degrees. After three years, Abby still hadn’t changed at all.

“So where do you want to go?” Abby asked, fixing her bangs.

“I don’t know. Not to a club though. I’m tired tonight. Did you eat?” Zacky asked.

She shook her head. “Not yet. Where do you want to go eat though? Sorry we can’t go anywhere fancy and amazing since I have to make reservations a day before hand.”

“It’s alright. I know this local place a few blocks away from the beach with really good food.”

“Well, point the way Mr. Vengeance.”

They arrived at Valencia, the Portuguese restaurant Adeline had taken Zacky to a few weeks ago. Unlike during the day, the restaurant completely transformed to complement with the night. The lights dimmed and soft piano music played, giving off a romantic setting.

At the door, a waitress led Abby and Zacky to a small circular table next to the window. Being a gentleman, Zacky pulled a seat out for Abby and pushed her in. The waitress smiled at the nice little move he made for his lady friend.

After the two settled into their seats, Abby ordered an apple martini and Zacky ordered a coke and rum. The waitress came back with their drinks, also informing them that another waitress would be out shortly to take their course orders.

Mr. Martin, the owner of Valencia raised his head from the cooking station. He saw that all his waiters and waitresses were busy with other companies. Adeline was the only one who didn’t have a thing to do at the moment. He ordered her to go to table 15.

Adeline nodded, taking a notepad and pen, and made her way to the designated table. She couldn’t wait to be the hostess for these customers. They were going to be her last ones for the night and then she could go home and catch up on sleep.

She walked over to table 15, spotting Zacky. She gasped, looking down at her feet. That always seemed to be her comfort zone when she was shy or embarrassed.

Zacky smiled, finding it a pleasant surprise Adeline worked at the restaurant she introduced him to. He knew she wasn’t advertising the place to him, but he was glad she took him there. The food was good and the workers were very friendly.

“Do you work here part-time?” Zacky asked, hoping she would speak up. She was always quiet around him and he wanted that to end.

“I volunteer on weekends,” she replied softly.

Abby viewed this girl as a potential threat, although she couldn’t see what Zacky liked about her. The girl was a Plain Jane.

“Well Emma Lee,” Abby coughed.

“It’s Adeline,” she responded.

“Right Emma Lee. I’m having the Chicken and Rice and he’s having the Shrimp Pasta. Thank you, that’s all. Run along now!” Abby interjected rudely, waving her off.

Adeline wrote down the orders and left without a single protest or look of hate towards Abby. Once she was out of earshot, Zacky slammed his fist down on the table. He glared at Abby who was sipping on her drink innocently as though she didn’t just treat Adeline as an inferior being.

“Do you know how rude you just were?” he spat.

“Yes, but she wasn’t doing her job.”

“I was talking to her!”

“And? I’m hungry and I want my food. I’m never coming back to this place again, bad service.”

“I cannot believe you!”

In about 10 minutes, Adeline brought their food to them, leaving their sight when she set the plates down. She walked into the kitchen, telling Mr. Martin that Paulo could replace her because she felt as though she was going to faint. Paulo needed the money more than she did anyways; he was an aspiring actor and worked at the restaurant for extra money until he got his big break.

She walked out through the front door, heading directly to the beach. It was slightly dark out but she didn’t mind. One didn’t need light to think.

“Shifter, come back here!” a male voice scolded.

She turned around seeing an incoming striped ginger cat and its owner run towards her. The cat saw Adeline; halting in its run to rub and purr against her leg. She stood, immobilized.

The man ran up to her, out of breath. He apologized for his crazy cat. She nodded feebly, still in a statuesque stance. He found her peculiar until he realized she must have had a fear of cats. Swiftly, he picked up his pet. The color rushed back to her face once the cat was safely in the man’s arms.

“Well thank you again. Freaking cat thinks he’s a dog,” sighed the man.

“So that’s why you named him Shifter!” Adeline exclaimed, pointing to the ginger cat that seemed so lazy in the man’s arms, not like it was minutes before.

“Yup! Do you live here? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you.”

“I moved here a year ago. I doubt my face is familiar to you anyways.”

“Nah, I’ve lived here all my life and I practically know everyone in Huntington. That does explain it though. I just got back from tour.”

“Golf tour?”

He chuckled. He definitely did not look like a golf player. The tattoos on his arms said so. “No, music. I’m in a band called Avenged Sevenfold.”

“Uh…I don’t know who you are, sorry.” Although, the band name did ring a bell.

His eyes widened at the girl. No wonder why she didn’t ask for an autograph. “That’s okay. So what’s your name?”

They began to walk along the beach, the smell of the ocean filling their nostrils. “Adeline,” she replied, feeling slightly uncomfortable. She barely knew this man and he already knew her first name. There was a chance he could be a stalker or psychopath and she willingly gave him her name. That wasn’t very smart.

“It’s old fashioned, but pretty. I’m Johnny,” he smiled.

They spent a few hours talking about various subjects at the beach. Johnny found that Adeline wasn’t very extrovert. Half the time he had to dig for even simple answers out of her. After some time though, she was more confident and it was much easier to talk to her.

At certain parts, Adeline, Johnny, and his cat Shifter walked past the beach, the lampposts’ lights shone on their skin. Adeline was able to see Johnny’s tattoos that lined his right arm. She admired the movie monsters that he paid to embed onto his skin. She touched her own right arm staring at the slightly tanned color.

“Can I ask you something?” she asked.

“You just did, but sure,” joked Johnny.

“Why do so many people have tattoos here?”

“Where did you move from?”

“North Dakota.”

“No wonder why. Tattoos are popular here, especially in big cities. Were you from a small town?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s why. Do you want one?”

“Oh no. It’d hurt too much.”

“Sometimes it’s worth it. I love all of mine even though some people think it’s stupid I have old movie monsters tattooed to my skin.”

For a minute, Adeline was close to deciding to get a tattoo before an image of her mother appeared before her, ashamed her daughter tainted her skin. Adeline shook her head, laughing at herself for wanting one in the first place.

Johnny dug into his pocket, feeling his phone vibrating. He held up a finger in front of Adeline. She nodded, understanding he was receiving a phone call.

“Hello?” Johnny spoke into the phone.

“I’m wasted.”

The band hadn’t been back in California for one full week and Zacky already began drinking his weight in alcohol. Johnny sighed, wasn’t he supposed to be the irresponsible one since he was the youngest? He turned away from the phone and cursed a few choice obscenities before calming down.

“Sure, you can crash at my place. Tell me where you are and I’ll pick you up.”

After Zacky hung up, Johnny turned his attention back to Adeline who was patiently waiting for him. He scrunched his eyebrows together. He really didn’t want to go fetch Zacky. He was having a nice time talking to her. She smiled, understanding the situation.

“Go save your friend,” she ordered.

“Okay, fine. I’ll see you some other time.”

“You sound so sure,” she mused.

“Because I am!” Johnny answered confidently. “It’s California. Everyone sees each other again at unplanned moments.”

“If you say so Johnny.”

“Have a good night Ady.”

“The same to you.”