Status: For a Contest

Supposedly

1 of 3

I placed my hand gently on the table, forcing myself to suppress my sighs. The afternoon heat is possibly the worst type of sunlight because of its orange rays that pierced my eyes. Sitting inside my room on such a beautiful day should be prohibited by all means. But I cannot stop myself from feeling the gloomy atmosphere that is surrounding my days recently.

The most striking memory returned back into my head like a heavy boulder falling off a cliff. There are days when I would wish that I can’t remember anything about it anymore, but when I reminisce about all those tender and warm moments, my mind would completely think otherwise.

So I pulled a pad of paper and a pen from my drawer, shut it close and begun to write. Everything in my mind, as I began to write, wasn’t so clear. But as each word fell into place, I realized that anything that appeared on the paper made sense, so clearly.

Dear Lucas,

Last summer vacation, I met a boy. He was the most perfect boy I’ve ever seen. He had startling icy blue eyes that could make any girl (or boy) swoon, hazel brown hair that was pointy with pale light skin. He was also very mysterious, but he was friendly and all-smiles. Although he lived in California, he wasn’t tanned as the others were. The only time that he would go to the beach was during the nighttime, when people were in deep slumber. And he liked to draw. He said that he was going to an Arts school somewhere in New York in the fall. Or at least he wanted to. He loved to draw constellations and skies. It was almost always the only thing he drew. He said he was fascinated by anything beautiful, and that the only place where he found beauty was during the night.

There was also a girl. People in her school called her ‘the deadly silence’. She had straight black hair, a pinkish skin tone and deep dark-set eyes. Her mother was Asian, she and her father met at Greece before they married and settled on North Carolina. They were spending the summer over at California because her mother wanted to visit the new building her father designed. She wasn’t perfect as the boy was. She was merely quiet, meek and often tired during the day. She was focused on getting a career somewhere in the science field. She considered becoming a pediatrician because she loves kids, and would want to become a mother someday.

One day, the girl decided to go to the beach during the night since her parents were out at a party. It was already 10:20 PM when she left with only her cellphone and a small clutch bag which contained everything she needed. Upon reaching the beach, she noticed someone sitting on the white sand while etching something on the ground. At first she felt afraid, being the girl that she was, she could’ve ran away. But she didn’t. The wind coming from the waves encouraged her to go to where the person was.

Fortunately, it was the boy.

“Hey there,” The friendly boy called out. “Nice night to be out right now. It’s cold and the waves are really entertaining. You’ve got to believe me when I say that. It’s often very warm around here, so you must feel my delight. Sit with me!” he chuckled slightly afterwards while patting the area beside him.

So the girl did, but never said a thing. She just meekly sat beside him, and watched the boy draw. The light coming from the moon was sufficient enough for the two of them to see. She noticed how the boy looked like, and her heart definitely jumped when their eyes met each other.

When sunrise was about to approach, the girl stood-up and the two said their goodbyes. “I’ll see you again,” the boy said in a simple grin. “Yeah,” the girl would often say. Her face wasn’t all too-giving on how she felt, but the boy made her warm.

This was how it continued for a week, until she had to go.

The night before she left, the girl leaned on the boy’s shoulder and cried. “Will I ever see you again?” she asked the boy for she has fallen in love. “It’s sad to think that I’m going away and I might never see you again.”

The boy only continued to draw while the girl wept beside him.

When morning came, the girl already stood-up. She thought that the boy wasn’t going to say anything. When she turned to face her direction, the boy held her hand and inserted something on her palm. The girl was rather enraged. She thought, ‘Is this boy kidding me? Is he playing with my feelings?’ and looked one last time. The boy was staring at the colorful sky. He was smiling.

Upon seeing the sun, the girl cringed. There were two things that worried her. First, she worried about her parents waking up at any given moment. If they found out about all her evening deeds, they would worry. And her parents are old. Her mother had her at 45. She was now 17. Second, she wanted to see the boy everyday. It was almost too much for her to bear. So she decided to speak.

“In just one week,” her voice was shaking. “I fell in love with you.” The girl didn’t cry though she wanted to. “Maybe I’m the stupid one. Maybe you’re secretly laughing in your head right now. But I can’t deny my feelings.” she looked away, imprinting the last scene of the boy into her head. “I’m sorry.” The girl said one last time before running away.

Lucas, do you remember that? The very day that we met? The very day you touched my heart by just being there each and every night? I know that this is selfish coming from me. But I want you to know that you were the first boy that I ever liked. And they say that true love never dies.

I miss you. Please believe me.

Always,
Kacey


When my letter was finished, I slid it inside an envelope. I slipped into my shoes and hurried outside to the post office. I kissed the letter once before dropping it off, and wished that Lucas won't take my feelings for granted.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)
Comment? (Lucas' letter soon.)