Status: For a Contest

Supposedly

3 of 3

It’s been 64 days since I received the last of Lucas’ letter.

Smile, Kacey. Rise above it.

I close my laptop shut. For hours, I’ve been trying to write a part of this reaction paper towards different Psychological Deficits in the human society. So far, I’m lacking both patience and enough research material. Maybe I should go out to the library. Maybe I should at least search the internet. Maybe I should start my introduction, after all, it’s the part wherein I say and sugarcoat the reasons for joining the BA Psychology program. Lately, there hasn’t been much to look forward to. Why can’t Freud and Jung visit me in my dreams and start inspiring me to start working again.

Why can’t Lucas come back?

The door knob shakes. I turn my seat to a 180 degrees and face the door. Thankfully, my dorm room is only good for two people though it’s spacious and really modern. I need space like a heartbeat needs blood to function. (But then again, I need Lucas just as much.) Sheryl, a Fine Arts major also known as the ‘drunk yet best’ roommate ever, enters the room with her typical skirt and blouse combination. Her chocolate brown hair curled up in tight knots never cease to make me wonder.

“Hey, Kacey!” she says, removing her shoes on the mat beside the door. She drops her bag on the couch and sits with her feet right on the wooden coffee table. At least she’s got no athlete’s foot. I can at least be thankful for that, right? Right? “I’ve got a surprise for you!” Sheryl grins over at my direction.

“What?” I ask.

I pull my drawer and takeout a notepad. Somehow, even if Lucas is gone, I still want to write to him. Maybe, one of these days, my letters will reach him. Then he’ll feel all guilty because he hasn’t given me a reply since only-Kacey-knows-when. The questions reach into me, though I haven’t received loneliness from anyone else, I give to myself. Sadness can’t penetrate to anyone but yourself, if you let it.

“Not until you say, ‘Sheryl is the best roommate ever!’”

And I sadly have.

“Fine,” I sigh, keeping the notepad back inside my drawer. “Sheryl is the best fucking roommate ever!” I cheered like a full blown idiot that’s way out of my character. Sometimes, all you really need is to pretend that you’re happy. Sometimes, not all the time.

“I agree a hundred percent.” she replied happily. I’m glad that Sheryl became my roomie for college. I don’t think anyone but her would want to be with me in my time of desperation. “Look, Lucas finally replied!” My heart’s rushing, blood’s going to places faster than they should be.

I run over to her.

“Give it!”
I rip the letter open.

Dear Kacey,

It’s me, Lucas, not like you wouldn’t have known my name after 40 letters. I know that this is going to be an abrupt way of starting a letter, after not replying for almost a few months. But I want you to know that I’m here. Right here where you are now. I’m finally here only because of one reason. This is where I’m supposed to be with you. You changed me, Kacey. If only you would know how hard I fought just to be with you. But should it matter anymore, now that I’m with you?


Sheryl takes my hand and lead me up to the window of our bedrooms. I feel the urge to cry. What was he talking about? He isn’t here. He will never be here. She opens the curtains to the side, revealing the Boy’s Dormitory right in front of our building. People are busy down the sidewalk. They’re all doing something except for me.

Then I saw him holding a white sign.

I LOVE YOU.

It was Lucas, alive and at flesh. He was smiling. Tears rush by my eyes. My face buries itself under Sheryl’s arms. I think she understands my feelings. I take another glance of the building right in front of us. Lucas wasn’t there anymore. He was going to see me right now.

“Happy?” Sheryl asks, wiping the tears off my face.

I can only nod, but can’t stop.

Our love is really meant to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last part!
Comment?