Caught in a Bad Romance

VI.

“I need a drink!” I exclaimed shaking my head at my brother and letting go of Niko’s arm, pushing my way through the bodies to find the bar.

Twenty minutes later, I was on my second drink and had absolutely no idea where Luka, Niko, or even Vedran for that matter was. I was currently trying to make my way to the downstairs level hoping that maybe someone I knew would be down there.

“Lena!” I heard a voice shout from my right.

I turned my head to see who it was, turns out it was Ivan, not exactly who I was hoping to find but talking with him would beat being by myself.

“Did you get lost too?” I asked cracking a smile.

“For a little,” He smiled as he led me to a small table to sit at. “You look really pretty by the way,” He added.

“Thank you,” I smiled giving him a nod, “You don’t look so bad either.” I added.

So I sat and talked more with Ivan, until I saw Vedran head to the bar.

“Excuse me for a second please?” I said politely to Ivan as I got up and headed in Vedran’s direction.

As I headed to catch up with Vedran someone lightly grabbed my wrist stopping me.

“Modrić,” I heard a voice say casually make me cringe

“In the middle of something.” I said turning my head to look at Cristiano.

Now as much as I really don’t like this guy bare with me on this, he did look good.

“You know I’m not as bad as you think I am.” He told me with a smile, “One drink, that’s all you finish it I’ll leave you alone.” He pressed.

“Just one?” I repeated.

“Just one.” He nodded.

“Fine,” I sighed as he led me to a small couch, where he then took off returning a few minutes later with two glasses of wine.

“So can you at least tell me your name?” He asked me as he sat next to me resting his arm on the back of the couch.

“Lena.” I told him moving next to his ear so he could hear me.

“It’s nice to meet you.” He smiled shaking my hand. “So Lena what are you doing here?”

“Luka asked me to tag along.”

“Congrats on their win today, by the way.” He told me.

“Thank you.” I nodded, “Why did you want to buy me a drink so badly?” I asked a few moments later.

“Probably because you turned me down so many times.” He chuckled. “You’re very pretty, and I love your smile.” He told me, all I did was nod in response. “You really hate me don’t you?” He asked break the silence.

“I don’t know you well enough to hate you. I just don’t like your overly confident personality. I like men who are down to earth.”

“Then you don’t know me.”

“I don’t.” I told him as out of nowhere Vedran popped up in front of us.

“Lena I need to talk to you!” Vedran said in Croatian.

“Well this was fun.” I said finishing my wine, “Nice talking to you, excuse me.” I said getting up as Cristiano grasped my wrist.

“Bye,” He told me kissing my cheek, and then let go of my wrist as I walked off with Vedran.

“Luka is going to kill the both of us!” Vedran rambled.

“Why?”

“I let you out of my sight and you were with Ronaldo!”

“What are you talking about?”

“I was supposed to keep an eye on you while I was up here, I saw you were with Ivan so didn’t interrupt. And the next thing I knew you were talking with him! What were you thinking?”

“Calm down, Luka won’t find out.”

“How do you know that?”

“Trust me on this, and if he does I’ll cover for you.” I assured him as we headed downstairs to where Luka apparently was.

“You ditched me asshole!” I said smacking Luka in the head as I stood next to him.

“You weren’t having fun with Ivan?” He smirked.

“Stop trying to be a match maker!” I told him.

“He’s nicer than the last guy you were with.”

“You met Gabe what once? Cut him some slack.” I told him shaking my head as him and I went to get another drink.

We didn’t get back to the hotel until 4 that morning, which probably was a bad idea for Luka and the other players on his team that stayed with us because they had a whole day of training early that morning. I was woken up at 8 in the morning to the sounds of Niko and Luka whining about headaches and how they were so fucked.

“Have fun training while I sleep!” I shouted to them as I heard them leaving.

I checked online to see which teams were playing today it was Spain against Finland. Should I go? I mean, its not like I have a whole lot to do today or anything. The game was at 2 so I went back to sleep until 11 when I woke up again to shower and get dressed. It was surprisingly warmer today than it was yesterday so I decided on a Beatles tee shirt, denim shorts and a pair of sandals. By 12:30 I was trying to get a cab to take to the stadium while downing a red bull so I would have more energy. I got to the stadium, and went to the lounge and figured I’d watch from there. I ended up changing my mind by half time and headed to where the security had told me to sit when I had arrived earlier. Ironically I was behind the Spanish goal post, about 7 rows up. Iker was very good, I watched him mostly he was very focused and dedicated. Anyone could see that right off the bat. Spain won that day 5-2, while the stadium was clearing out, I started headed down towards the first row of seats seeing as Iker was still on the field celebrating. I took a seat in the now deserted row and put my feet up waiting to see if he’d notice or not.

“You look comfortable.” Iker said running to the barricade separating where I was and the field.

“Congratulations.” I told him, getting up and going to the barricade.

“Thank you, you’re here by yourself?” He asked me.

“They’re in training for tomorrow, figured I’d see what they’re up against.”

“Croatian spy?” He asked cocking an eyebrow.

“Yup,” I nodded giving him a smile. “I think I’m a bit obvious though.” I frowned.

“Well you need to be undercover.”

“I tried,” I shrugged with a chuckle.

“Just walk around with this so they’ll think you’re a Spain supporter.” He told me giving me the jersey he had slung over his shoulder.

“Viva la España?” I said unsure.

“There you go, now no one will suspect you.” He chuckled. As some one called for him, and then said he had an interview.

“Have fun with the interviews.” I smiled.

“You understood?” He asked looking confused.

I nodded my head, “Croatian, English and Spanish I can speak.” I told him.

“Now you tell me!” He laughed, “Get back safe,” He added as he jogged across the field.

I decided to walk back to the hotel after all, since it was a really nice day. Twenty minutes later I was back at the hotel, walking through the lobby to the elevators. When I arrived back at my room, I heard rustling in the guy’s room indicating they must have been back from practice. I put Iker’s jersey on the vanity in my room next to the table and knocked on the adjoining door.

“Are you decent?” I asked through the door before pushing it open.

“It’s only me, Lena.” I heard Niko say, “And yes I’m decent.” He added making me chuckle as
I opened the door and walked in to see him sprawled on his bed watching TV.

“Napping?” I asked him.

“A little.”

“Where’s big head?”

“Went out to lunch with some of the guys, where’d you go?” He asked as I laid down next to him.

“Spain Finland game.” I told him.

“How was that?”

“Spain won, 5-2. They played really well.”

“That’s the problem they always do.” He sighed putting his forearm across his eyes.

“If it comes down to it, I think you can beat them Niko.” I assured him.

“You have to tell me that.” He laughed.

“No I have to tell big head that.” I corrected making him laugh more.

“Are you hungry?” I asked him, as I felt my stomach rumble.

“I can hear that you are.” He laughed, as there was a knock on my door.

“Luka forget his key?” I asked as Niko and I gave each other a confused look as I went to my room to open the door and Niko peaked through his doorway in to my room.

I opened the door, to see Iker standing there in fresh clothes, and a smirk on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lena's Outfit