Broken Heels

Maria

“I don’t want a new pair of shoes.” I said for the fiftieth time as we traipsed round another shop. “I just want to go somewhere and sleep.” I groaned.

“But I feel bad.” He said, picking up a random pair of shoes and putting them down again.

“Then buy me decent food and let me sleep.” I groaned, putting my head on his shoulder and trying to drag him out of the shop.

“Fine.” He sighed walking out of the shop and back towards his bike. I got on the back of it and we drove to a place I didn’t recognise. I watched him kick a truck as he went past and then carry on inside.

“VITO!” he shouted, patting some fat man and sitting next to him, the fat man started shouting gibberish at him, I sat down next to him and watched him, he had a huge chin that shook as he moved.

“That’s Bam’s uncle.” He laughed pointing at the fat guy.

“Am I suppose to remember Bam?” I asked him as the fat man carried on shouting.

“It’s Jesse’s brother, he used to be a right asshole to you, all the time, and then you kicked his ass and he kind of left you alone and then you left.” Ryan said, I nodded at him, remembering a little bit.

“He looked different then.” I whispered as someone brought over a bottle of beer.

“So did you.” Ryan laughed. I laughed along with him, knowing he was right. We ate our food and carried on catching up with the things we had missed since I had been away and just general stuff that popped into our heads, a few times Vito had shouted over some ideas, but neither of us understood any of them.

“So, yeah, he keeps on trying to hit on her and it wasn’t working so I stood behind him, yanked his trousers down and all of us pegged it behind this huge guy and he turns round and the barmaid was filming it.” I laughed. He joined in shaking his head.

“I think we better go, there will be a few bottles of something at Bam’s.” he said, putting his arm around me and leading me back to his bike.