Broken Heels

Maria

I felt Will run past me and throw himself at Bam. Bam swept him into his arms and kissed him on the side of the head. Will had completely wrapped himself around Bam and I could see his body shaking with tears. Slowly I limped closer to them.

“You can’t leave us.” Will cried, I felt tears fall down my own face. “You promised.”

“Hey, don’t cry.” Bam told him, his voice sounded like it was going to break any moment. “You can come see me anytime and you have my number. You can phone me for anything.” He kissed him on the side of his head and slowly stroked his hair. Will looked up at me, his eyes so similar to mine were glistening with tears. I thought about taking him from Bam but he hadn’t let me pick him up in years, not that I could anymore.

“Don’t cry baby.” I whispered, playing with his hair in a way I knew that would calm him.

“Tell him to stay, don’t let him leave us.” He cried, clinging to Bam and moving away from me.

“How about, Bam and Ryan and everybody come round for a BBQ tonight and me and Bam can talk?” I asked both of them. I could feel even more tears flowing down my face now. Will nodded and wiped his eyes and nose with his sleeve, internally I flinched, in so many ways he was a lot younger than his thirteen years. Finally he let Bam put him down and he began running to the house, squealing something about making plans. I looked up at Bam who was looking slightly pleased with himself.

“He normally doesn’t like people. If I’d have suggested a BBQ a few months ago he’d of stopped talking to me and hid in his room.” I told Bam, wiping the tears out of my eyes. “Bam, I’m so sorry, I just, he’s so, I didn’t think he would ever take to people so well.” I told him, basically falling into his arms. Thankfully he caught me.

“Well, you know, everyone loves me.” he said, I laughed once again. He looked down into my eye and caught the last few tears from my eyes. “I hate it when you cry. Look, I’m gonna go phone the guy and let them know what’s happening. I might have to take off but I promise I’ll be back by seven.” he said kissing me on the head. I watched as he walked back to his car and felt even more tears build up I my eyes.

“Where’s he going?” Will asked, clutching a half written list in his hands as the lambo raced away.

“To get the guys, he promised he’d come back.” I told Will. “So what’s all this planning?” I asked him, attempting to flash him a grin.

“Well.” he put on his most commanding grown up voice. “We need food, and drink, and music and new clothes and a new skateboard.”

“A new skateboard huh?” I asked him as we stumbled towards the house, me slow because of my leg and him just trying not to run to far ahead in his excitement. Finally we were in the safety of the house and I fell into the sofa, it smelt like my mum.

“Yeah, then maybe they’ll let me do a skit with them. And then I can be a jackass too and then and then and then …” I looked over to see him holding his breath slightly as he tripped over his words.

“Count to five.” I told him, placing my hand on his back. He nodded and slowly counted before talking again. “We should go shopping.” he said, nodding and adding more things to his list. “Can you drive?” he asked me, tapping my cast with his pen. Both of us were quiet for a few moments.

“Do I have any friends that drive?” I though out loud.

“RYAN.” Will shouted, running off somewhere. By the time he came back he was on a phone I didn’t even know he owned, taking at about a hundred words a minute. I’d never heard him talk so much to anyone, ever. “Uncle Ryan will be here in ten minutes.” grinning a huge smile at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so I decided against the sequel as I tried it a few times and I just couldn’t focus but when I was re-reading this a few days ago I really wasn’t happy with the ending so I’m going to continue it for a bit longer.
To answer a few questions …
She hadn’t gained weight, she was just leaning on Bam a lot more.
Them nor being together is because she was scared of how the kid would take it.
I will reveal who Will’s dad is soon enough.
Let me know what you think.