Strangers in the Rain

Chapter 17

I bought in two mugs of coffee and put on a random television station, for background noise. I didn’t know where to begin, but Mikey sat watching me patiently, waiting for me to begin. I thought I would start with questioning this Way brother, find out if he was similar to his brother when it came to not answering my questions.

“Is he always like this?” I asked. Mikey almost seemed shocked I had said anything. But he smiled and shrugged.

“He’s not good with relationships, the girls which are good for him he drives away, like you and he attracts the ones which are bad for him. I think you have to be patient and give him a chance. Which you did. And I also think he’s just as confused as you are.” He sipped from him coffee slowly. I took the opportunity to look at him properly. He had medium coloured brown hair which was straight and styled well, unlike Gerard’s. He wore thick glasses. Unlike Gerard. He was skinny and tall. Almost lanky. Unlike Gerard. He appeared to be more dorky as well, he wore a type of sci-fi movie t-shirt and skinny jeans. His jacket currently hung on the back of one of my chairs. One of the things the Way brothers had in common was taste. Mikey like sci-fi and I think he liked rock music but I wasn’t sure. He looked younger than Gee too, his face more youthful.

“He must have been a nightmare growing up with,” I sipped my coffee looking at him from the corner of my eye. He sort of half smiled at what I had said and shook his head.

“We got along well when we were little and when were teenagers, but I went out a bit more than him, he liked to spend time in his room. But I don’t remember us having major arguments or not getting along. Do you have any siblings?”

“I have an older brother, so I sort of know the hole sibling thing, but we didn’t get along as well as you two seem to,” I realised that Gerard never asked me that much about myself after our initial interaction. For a guy who wanted to get to know me and possibly date me, he sure as hell didn’t seem that interested in doing so. He just wanted to compare what he did know about me to his dead girlfriend. “One difference between us two and you two is that we don’t talk to one another anymore.”

“How come?” Mikey asked. I think he could sense this would be a bit of a sad story, he scooted closer to me.

“We didn’t get along as kids. We shared interests but we argued all the time, our ages are so close. He’s just over a year older than me, so we grew up together and since we were teenagers at the same time things weren’t always so smooth. We stopped talking about a year ago, I don’t like his girlfriend, I tried to talk to him about this but he’s the type of brother who doesn’t care what his sister thinks. So we had a massive argument and that was it.” I sipped at my coffee and watched Mikey frown. “So what was the deal with this Katherine girl anyway?”

“You mean the dead girlfriend. Well they met as teenagers. After high school he didn’t see her until the end of college, they ran into each other on the street. He bought her a coffee, they talked, they dated, they fell in love, quite a bit in love actually. She died after a car wreck, drunk driver hit her. That’s one of the reasons he doesn’t drink, I don’t know if he’s told you about that…”

“He’s not told me much about himself. But enough about your bone headed brother, tell me more about you.”

He told me about himself. His likes and dislikes, desires and his history basically. By then the day had crept into evening hours. He stayed for dinner, we switched from coffee to wine. And then from wine to beer. When the night came, and the hour which Mikey planned on leaving came, I realised I couldn’t let him leave in the state he was in.

“Mikey, you can’t drive. You have way too much alcohol in your system.”

“I couldn’t anyway my cars not here.” I realised he was right. But I still didn’t want him to leave just yet. He was good company, good conversation and good looking. “But it’s a bit late. Would you mine?”

“Of course not,” I smiled. “And I think I have a little beer left as well.” I walked into my kitchen. I stood back up with two more beers in my hands, planning on making my way back to Mikey. But he was right in front of me. I smiled and blushed a little. I didn’t have a chance to deny him kissing me. I added good kisser to the list. His hands held my hips close to his and I dropped to beers the floor and ran my fingers through his hair. It felt weird to kiss a guy wearing glasses, they hit my nose a little but I didn’t care. His kissing skills made up for any discomfort.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took forever, but the next one is in the works. Comment? Enjoy!