Falling on Dead Ears

expert judge...?

Travis stood on the back of the boat. The group had been out on the lake for hours. He wanted to launch Andy off the plank of his Black pear but that probably wasn’t going to happen with Ellie’s aunt pacing up and down the beach. She’d been there two hours after Travis had snuck out Ellie out.

Turning he smiled over at Ellie trying to talk with Erik as Jolene, Special, and Godfrey tried to hang onto the inflatable raft. Leaning over Travis clicked his tongue and smiled at Ellie as she turned looking at him.

“Her Parks,” Parks hummed. “Look over there…” Parks turned, placing both his hands on his face letting Travis grab the wheel and jerk it in the complete opposite direction it had been going.

“Oh my god it’s amazing!” Parks teased as he marveled at nothing.

“Do you wanna try?” Travis spun around faster than anyone at Erik’s words. His brow creased as Ellie shrugged and nodded wordlessly, like always.

“Trav.” Jolene stated as she patted his shoulder. The boat had come to a stand still as they picked up the tossed group. Travis sighed deeply.

“I just asked her out. Her aunts probably going to kill us both, I don’t need her hurt because one of a stupid idea.” Jolene patted his shoulder again just giving him a look. It wasn’t just any look it was thee look. The look that told Travis he’d have to get over her getting hurt and just be there for her like she’d have to do for him when he inevitably crashed. “Fine.” He groaned and turned looking at Ellie watching him. Smiling he sighed. “I’m going too.” He stated.

“OK.” Andy smiled kicking Parks into the back of the boat. “But I’m driving.” Travis nodded climbing onto the raft and helping Ellie. His heart was nearly broken as Tommy stood on the end of the boat and rubbed his large stomach and Andy sat at the wheel.

Someone was seriously going to get hurt.

Licking his lips he pulled Ellie into him and laid down, making sure she was tucked under him. Tommy climbed onto the raft making Travis flinch and hide his face in Ellie’s shoulder.

“Alright buddy,” he breathed into her shoulder, grateful she was deaf at the moment. “I need you now. Make sure this goes well. Lord, I’m putting this in your hands. Dear God help me.” He kissed Ellie’s shoulder as she shifted under him, looking at him. Kissing her temple he gripped tighter as the raft began to jostle from the boats waves.

Ellie fit right in once she opened up. She was just perfect, she worried a little more than the others but she fit. Travis wrapped his arms around her shoulders and simply stood there as she held onto his forearms. He loved this. Everything fit perfectly with the group. He didn’t have to worry about completely freaking out his girlfriend or that he left her on the beach because she didn’t want to tag along. Ellie was game for some stupid things…others she just patted him on the shoulder and let him do it.

“It’s getting late.” Godfrey stated simply.

“I’m amazed you aren’t burnt to a crisp like normal.” Andy laughed at the man. Godfrey waved his hand at Ellie, who had made sure everyone had on sunscreen simply just by applying it herself. She was tan, but she wasn’t red and she didn’t want to be. “Yeah…” Andy nodded agreeing.

“So.” Travis sat down pulling Ellie into his lap.

&&&&

I glanced up at him as he patted my thigh rhythmically.

Now what?’ He asked. Glancing at the group everyone shrugged. Godfrey sighed looking at the beach then at me.

We should probably get her home…’ My insides twisted into a knot as I glanced at the beach. My aunt was sitting on the deck again, waiting for us to come in.

Latching my teeth to the inside of my lip, I just watched her, ignoring the buzz and soft vibrations moving around me. It was hard to focus on anything knowing she’d probably put bars on my window.

I’m twenty-four-years-old and I’d probably have bars on my window by morning. Which was a sad and horribly, terrifying thought for me.

The poke to my side made me jump and spin to look at Travis’s smiling feature.

Scare you?’ My hand made contact with his bare, exposed chest for an answer.

Leaning forward his whole body shook wildly. I was guessing his was laughing, he didn’t seem like the kind of guy to cry over a girl hitting him open handed.

Sorry.’ Shaking my head I glanced back at the beach.

His finger prodded my side again and I turned, pointing my finger in his goofy smiling face.

You okay?’ Nodding my head to my aunt’s house I shrugged. Nodding he leaned to the side lightly. ‘Bring ‘er round’ His words hit my face roughly as he yelled.

My insides squirmed as the boat grew closer to his dock, my aunt making her way across the beach. Wringing my hands together I watcher her nervously. Honestly I’d much rather stay on the lake all night than deal with my aunt.

It literally took seconds for my body to be up, off the boat, and inside Travis’s house. Glancing up at him I blinked startled as he rushed up the stairs. Spinning around he kicked a door closed and sat me down on a bed.

I was at a lost of words for what just happened.

Do you really think I was going to let your aunt get you?’ he smiled. Jumping off the bed I lunged at him, wrapping my arms around his neck tightly. His arms slid around my waist as I hugged him tightly.

Pulling back I smiled at him. He smiled as well and set me down gently.

Now we gotta figure out what’s to do next…’ He glanced over his shoulder and opened the door. Jim waved and smiled. Nodding Travis took my hand and led me down stairs. All the blind were closed around the house.

I didn’t comment on the suddenly closed blinds as I gazed around the room. By the few words I picked up everyone was trying to figure out what to do about dinner. Rolling my eyes I followed Jolene into the kitchen as the boys began fighting, it seemed like, over what to get.

Travis never shops so we’re probably going to be eating out.’ Jolene smiled over her shoulder. Blinking confused and curiously, I peeked into a few of the cabinets and frowned pulling the items out and waving at them. ‘what about it?’ She asked.

Grabbing the pad of paper on the side of the fridge and a pen I wrote it down.

You can do that?!’ Nodding I waved my hand at the items. I could easily make cheesy Italian pasta shells. He had the spices, the shells, the right cheese in the fridge, milk, and every thing else. Sure if someone didn’t know how to make it, it was just random items. It was a large dinner with how much there was of each item.

Questioning why he had so much of it Jolene shrugged with a wide smile.

His mom usually shops for him when he shows up here. We’ve burned through all the food and Debbie went home a while ago…some of that’s probably old.’ Turning to the items I began checking dates. It was all still good. ‘She can make dinner!’ Was what I caught as I turned back to Jolene. Her eyes were focused over my shoulder. Twisting I looked at all the boys.

You can make dinner out of that?’ Erik whispered. Tommy waved his hands stepping forward and smiling knowingly.

I’m the food expert I will judge. How?’ he folded his hands neatly on top of his large stomach.

Grabbing the pad of paper and wrote it down as simply as I could. Tommy took the paper before glancing at me and the paper. Smiling he nodded.

I dub you kitchen worthy.’ Rolling my eyes I looked at Travis and bit my lip.

Nervously I licked my lips and began moving my hands. I didn’t even get halfway through asking if it was alright if I made dinner before he was shuffling around the kitchen grabbing things.

Can I help?’ He asked with a pot and a wooden spoon. Nodding slowly I smiled at him. ‘Sweet I might actually learn to cook.’ Covering my mouth I held my laugh in. He was such a weird kid.