Falling on Dead Ears

Girls day

After a month on the road and doing small shows, Rally races, and other events for Nitro Circus Jolene snagged Ellie for a girls day, after much yelling and fighting with Travis on what a ‘girl’s day’ meant. He couldn’t get it through his thick skull that it meant no boys, which in turn meant he could not tag along.

“Noooo!” Jolene pointed at his as if he was some kind of dog she was training to stay. “No!” She stated firmly. Travis pouted.

“But I never get to hang out with her any more!” He tried to reason. He’d tried to sneak along on their trip. He honestly didn’t know what to do for the day.

“Bull! I never see her any more thus why we’re having a girl’s day. That… and I’m sick of feeling like a dude.” She shrugged lightly. Ellie stood between the two watching them, amused.

“But…” He sputtered.

“No but’s mister!” Jolene snapped. “And I don’t want to hear and if or ands either!” She added as he opened his mouth.

“How about you and suck?” Travis teased. Ellie looked back at Jolene for her answer.

“How about you, are, and whipped.” She sang. Ellie glanced over at Travis to see his flushed red cheeks. “Yeah. That’s what I thought!” She growled.

“But I don’t know what to do!” Travis pouted. Jolene blinked.

“You’re not going to deny that you’re whipped.” Travis shook his head and tugged Ellie into him. “Wow.” Jolene smiled nodding. “Whipped.” She sang.

“Keep it up I’ll beat you!” Travis threatened half-heartedly. Ellie pulled away from Travis and held her hands up.

Now, now children, Ellie teased. There is no need for name calling or violence. Can’t we all just get along?

“No.” Ellie rolled her eyes at both of them. The two glared at each other.

“Come on Travis!” Jolene pouted jumping up and down. “I just want one day! There are no others girls around! Can’t you just go hang out with the guys today? Go to a sports bar and drink beer while watching some game?” Travis frowned.

“I don’t like sports bars.” He honestly didn’t. He couldn’t stand the slutty looking waitress or the men who thought they were ‘joe-cool’ and everyone’s friend and infringed upon unspoken boundaries of another groups space and the guys that were too into the game as if they were the coach sidelines and yelling at the tv in drunken slurs. The point of sports bars seemed to be pointless on his end of the bargain.

“What kind of man are you?” Jolene gasped. Travis simply shrugged.

“Can I please come? You’ll hardly notice I’m there.”

“No!” Travis pouted and looked at Ellie for an answer. “Don’t look at her cheater!” Jolene stated stepping in front of Ellie who was ready to crack at his adorable puppy-dog look. The man had that look down pat.

“But I don’t know what to do with myself!” Travis gasped sitting down on the bed in the hotel room.

“Go to the Red Bull Compound it’s about an hour away!” Travis paused, humming at the idea. Jolene grabbing Ellie’s are and bolted from with her, both girls giggling and laughing as they than down the hallway.

“Who’s the cheater now!” Travis yelled from the doorway, slightly disappointed.

“You’re still whipped!” Jolene yelled as the elevator doors began to close.

“I hate you too Jo!” Was the last thing Jolene herd. She glanced over at Ellie smiled.

Where are we going? Ellie asked gently. Jolene simply smiled.

“The Spa.” She stated proudly.

The spa sounded amazing for both girls. Massages, facials, manicures, pedicures, and hot tubs to soak in was a dream come true at this point.

Maybe we can actually get the dirt off. Jolene laughed with a nod.

“So,” Jolene stated simply as they sat in large black chairs, getting their toes done. “How are things with Trav?” Though the man was sulking that he couldn’t tag along back in his hotel room while trying to kill Andy via Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox he’d rigged to the TV, he wasn’t left out of conversation.

Good. Ellie smiled.He’s been acting kind of funny though lately… Jolene frowned.

“What’d you mean, funny? I mean Travis is pretty goofy and weird all the time.” She pointed out. Ellie nodded.

He gets really quite and just stares out the window or at the wall some times, other times he seems really tense. But he constantly says he’s fine. I don’t know what to do. Does he usually get like that on trips like this? Concern etched its way onto her features as she spoke. The women doing their feet were watching the two surprised. They hadn’t expected to only understand half the conversation.

“Wait… he sits still long enough to just stare at the wall?” Jolene whispered amazed. Travis Alan Pastrana never sat still. Never. The only time he wasn’t doing something was while he was sleeping, even then he thrashed and moved. Hell the guy usually walked up and down the isles of planes when they were long flights because he couldn’t sit still long enough ADHD kicking in wildly in the small metal box he wasn’t allowed to jump out of.

I know right? Ellie gasped surprised as she blinked a bit unsure. The scrubbing happening on her feet began to make he twitch slightly. The vibrations throwing her off more wildly than sitting on one of Travis bike with him. Her feet were one of the more sensitive part of her body, she listened for people walking up with them, it was why she usually walked bare foot.

Jolene couldn’t help but laugh at the tense shoulders and look of utter annoyance on Ellie’s face. It looked as if she was listening to the most ear splitting scraping of metal on an old school black board.

“Wow. What do you think is wrong?” Ellie shrugged as best she could with already tense shoulders.

If I knew I’d fix it. If he planning a big trick that he’s worried about?

Jolene shook her head slowly.

“Not that I know of.” She whispered. Ellie sighed and flinched at the woman switched to the other foot.

why can’t they just do the nails? Ellie whined, a small pout of her features.

“Because you’re feet are nasty you hippie.” Jolene laughed. Ellie frowned at her as crossed her arms over her chest with a tense pout. “It’ll be over soon, calm down.” Jolene laughed. “So can I ask another question?” Ellie had to resist the urge to point out she’d just asked a question and nodded. “Are you in love with him?” Jolene whispered, almost afraid Travis was going to be listening and pop out of one of the fake fire places and yell that she was tampering with his relationship. Or something obscure along those lines.

Flushing red Ellie bit her bottom lip lightly and simply nodded. Jolene smiled.

“Aw, really?” Ellie nodded again, flushing a brighter red. “Have you told him?” Ellie’s eyes seemed to bug at the idea, quickly she shook her head no. “What?” Jolene laughed. “Why not?” Sighing Ellie licked her lips.

I don’t think he’s looking for so much commitment in a relationship. Jolene frowned at the slowly signed words.

“What makes you think that?” Ellie licked her lips slowly, as if she was going to use them to form words for a chance.

He’s about his career, his sport, having fun, being a kid. And I love that he’s dedicated and he’s not completely stressed over something and can still have fun, but… She glanced down at the woman doing her feet as she began file the nails. That wasn’t as bad as having the bottom of her feet scrubbed, that was for sure. I think that’s all he cares about. I don’t think he’s ready to take a bigger step in our relationship and I’m fine with that for the most part. She sighed and licked her dry lips again. I’m not going to push him, I’m not going to make he do something he doesn’t want to.

“But it’s you’re relationship too.” Jolene pointed out. Ellie nodded with a smile.

and I want to keep it that way.

Jolene frowned at the words confused.

“And you want to keep it that way? What’s that mean?”

I want to keep being apart of the relationship. I’m afraid if I try to take that step, how ever slow or fast I take it that he won’t be willing to follow but instead take a step back and not want to be with me anymore. I’ve never been with someone like him before. He treats me right, he can talk to me and he’s not Deaf. He can do whatever he wants, be with who ever he wants and he picked me. She shrugged sadly, the thought of loosing Travis was heart breaking. One-hundred percent heart breaking and terrify.

“He’s gone out of his way to be with you, what would make you think he’d just leave you for telling him?” Jolene asked, watching her friends suddenly sad demeanor. Ellie never seemed upset, always had a smile and kind heart warming words to say, but in those movement she didn’t have a smile or words to make herself smile.

I don’t know. I just don’t want him to leave me. I love him.

Jolene sighed heavily. Both of them were too stubborn and too scared to tell the other. Pulling out her phone she quickly began texting Jim of the new relationship problem that had occurred in the ‘Trallie’ relationship, as the group was now calling it so the two wouldn’t find out.

While Jolene was having girls day and talking with Ellie and relaxing Jim and the guys were talking to Travis over the system for Call of Duty 2.

“Why don’t you just tell her?” Andy asked. “Head shot! Eat my shorts Special!” He laughed as he killed Special Greg.

“Why do you have to but into my relationship?” Travis asked killing Andy for the question. Pursing his lips he turned around threw a grandee, killing Jim sneaking up on him. “Ha! Suck…ooh,” He pouted as Tommy killed him.

“Because you’re too much of a pussy to tell her!” Travis paused at the voice.

“Who’s hanging out with Renner?” Travis muttered confused.

“Guilty.” Andy laughed.

“Renner don’t you have your own Xbox?” Travis asked, trying to change the subject.

“At home, so you screwed, now. Pussy,” Travis groaned logging off half way through the game and removed his head set.

The soft knock at the door minutes later made him move to the door and open.

“As we were saying.” The guys stated shuffling into the room. Groaning Travis slammed his head against the wall. He’d much rather being with the girls sitting in some department store chair holding both their purses. This conversation was getting old and annoying. He knew he was being a chicken shit but that was his business and his purgative to be a chicken-shit.

“I think you should tell him.” Jolene smiled gently as they walked back into hotel late that evening, both fully relaxed and ready to go for another couple months. Ellie sighed.

How do you think he’ll react?

Jolene glared at the speaker boxes loud annoying music blasting through the small box of the elevator. Ellie glanced up at it confused, not even feeling the slightest pressure from the louder than usual music tormenting Jolene’s ears.

Reaching out and touching her friends’ arm, Ellie whined slightly, snapping Jolene out of her daze.

“Oh sorry, the music is obnoxiously loud.” Jolene muttered sheepishly. “I think he’ll be happy, I don’t think he’ll be mad or leave you. Sometimes you just gotta be fearless with a guy like him.” Jolene smiled gently.

What if he doesn’t feel the same.

Jolene shrugged with a small smile.

“Travis has never gone to length for a girl before; he’s never had a relationship this long that didn’t end up fucking him over completely.” Jolene stated.

Humming unsure both girl began making their way down the hall.

“I’m not saying do it now, but tell him when you think the moment is right.” Jolene mused as Ellie pulled out her room key.

The small deaf woman nodded slowly and opened the door. Sighing she pointed at Travis sitting on the bed, his back to the door, simply staring at the wall.

“Holy shit you weren’t kidding…” Jolene laughed. Travis whipped around, startled. His face lit up as he saw Ellie. “See ya later. Bye wonder boy…” Jolene stopped, holding door open as Ellie step inside. “Does that nickname have a whole new meaning for you two or are you bad in…hey!” Jolene ducked out the room as Travis through a pillow at her.

Ellie smiled walking over to him. Travis smiled up at her as she reached up, running his hand through his messy hair. His smile grew at the scratch of her nails. Pulling her hand from his hair he looked at the acrylic French tip nails and smiled.

“Did you have fun?” he asked gently. Nodding Ellie leaned down kissing him. His smile grew.

Have you been staring at the wall all day? She teased.

“No.” Travis laughed. “I played Call of Duty 2 with the guys and killed them for a few hours before we just hung out and talked.” He smiled. Nodding Ellie kissed his again and smiled gently at him. “I missed you.” He whispered gently. Laughing she shook her head.

I was gone for one day. What are you going to do when I’m gone for longer? She pressed watching his smile drop.

“Are you leaving?” He asked nervously. Ellie laughed shaking her head.

No but I can’t always come on trips with you. What happens then? I can’t use a phone. Travis rolled his eyes.

“You can text and we can video chat. By the end of it you’ll probably hate me with how often I text of video message you.” He laughed. She rolled her eyes, honestly she honestly couldn’t hate him ever.

I doubt it.

“Bet you a dollar.” Travis laughed rolling backwards into bed, pulling her with him. With a choked scream she fell on top of him, her purse falling off her shoulder and the contents slipping onto the comforter in a mess. “You have a lot of crap…” He teased. “Hey!” He picked up a dollar. “I win in advance.” He sang gently. Rolling her eyes Ellie pulled the dollar from his hand and stuck her tongue out at him. “Hey, I won that fair and square.” He teased gently wrapping his arms around her waist.

You’ll get it back when you help me clean up the mess you made. Travis turned glancing over at the mess of her spilt items.

“I’m good. I don’t need your dollar.” He smiled. Rolling her eyes she sat up on his chest, slowly pick up items as Travis ran his hand up and down her sides, just watching her.

What? Ellie asked as best she could with full hands as his stare.

Swallowing Travis reached up pulling her lips down to his with such need he was sure those three words were going to slip out. Ellie kissed back with the same need as he quickly pushed her things off the bed and removed the items she had from her hands, tossing them to the side.

Neither one could say those simple words to the other, but they could show it with out a problem.