‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 15

“I got your text, what’s the matter?” Lyric asked Jonnie who was sitting on the porch waiting for him to get there.

“he knows” she said through sobs.

“Who knows? Wait, come inside” he stood up and unlocked the door. He brought her into the living room and after making her a drink he sat down beside her again.

“Now, calm down and explain what has you so upset.”

She took a sip from the glass and took a deep breath. “Someone put a video on youtube of me singing with you the other night”

“oh man” he said

“I take it that it didn’t go over well with your father?”

She shook her head no and took another sip of her drink just before she started to explain what happened at the mansion with him.

Earlier in the evening

“What the hell is this?” Johnny yelled at his daughter as he pressed play on the computer screen.

“Johnny, calm down” Riley said putting a hand on her husband’s arm.

Jonnie’s face turned beet red when she saw herself singing on stage.

“Daddy, I was just having some fun”

“At my expense! You used my name to have your little bit of fun.”

“Stop it. I didn’t use your name, I didn’t know Blade was going to announce to the whole place that I was your daughter. We were just having a little fun.”

“Is this why you dropped out of medical school?” he asked and stopped the video from playing and shut down the computer. “Answer me!” he shouted when he didn’t get a response.

“Daddy…I..”

“Jonnie, I swear to God, this better have been a one time thing” he warned.

She picked up her purse and put the strap around her shoulder.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

“You know what dad? I’m done with this. I am 23 years old. I don’t need to ask your permission to live my life. If that video pissed you off, too fucking bad.”

“Jonnie, you shouldn’t speak to your father like that.”

“Shut up, Riley, you’re not my fucking mother” she shouted.

“JONNIE!” her father shouted at her as Riley ran out of the room in tears.

“I wont apologize and I wont be sorry for doing what makes me happy either.”

“Get out.” He said.

“Fine, but once I walk out that door, I’m never coming back” she said and left the room and walked right out the front door.


Jonnie turned to face Lyric. “So, that’s the gist of it. I didn’t know where else to go”

“It’s ok, we have the room here for you to stay as long as you need to” he said.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” she asked.

“Bottom line, we may not get along, but we’re still family and when times get tough we stick together. Don’t get me wrong, I still think you are a stuck up goodie two shoes and act like you are better than any of us, but I wont leave you out on the street. Besides, my dad would kill me if I didn’t take you in.”

“Thanks, I think” she tried not to laugh, but couldn’t help it.

“Come on, I’ll show you the spare room” he stood up and led her down the hall to the last room at the end.

“This is it, nothing special, just a bed and some dressers. There is a bathroom through there and you only have one closet, sorry it’s the best I can do.”

“Thanks” she nodded.

“You should get some sleep. We’ll figure this out in the morning” he left her alone in her room and went to his. Once by herself she sat on the bed and wrapped her arms around her knees. When she left the mansion she left everything behind. All she had were her thoughts.