‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 28

Brian went back down to his apartment and walked over to the couch where Stormy was still sleeping. He knelt down in front of her and moved the hair out of her face. He smiled when she stirred and open her eyes.

“Good morning, Angel”

“What’s wrong, is it Melody?” she asked sitting up.

“No, I checked in on her and she’s still sleeping.” He got up from the floor and sat on the couch beside his wife. She rested her head on his shoulder and took his hand in hers.

“Thank you for last night” he said kissing her hand. “I would have lost my mind if it weren’t for you”

“No thanks required love. Are you ok now?”

He sighed and then nodded. “I will be”

They both turned their heads in the direction of Melody’s bedroom door as it opened. She walked out and went straight across the hall to the bathroom. After she finished in the bathroom, she walked back across the hall to her room and closed the door behind her again.

“You go” Stormy said to Brian. He kissed her head and got up heading in the direction of Melody’s bedroom.

He knocked first, but went inside when she didn’t answer. She was lying on her bed with her back facing the door. He walked over to the bed and sat down.

“Melody?” he said her name but she didn’t answer. It wasn’t going to be easy and he knew it, but patience was one thing that he did have when it came to his daughter. She was a teenager after all and patience comes with the territory.

He climbed on the bed and lay beside her putting his arm around her. She flinched at his touch. “It’s just me, it’s daddy and I’m not going t o hurt you,” he whispered.

He stayed there with her in silence holding her in his arms for at least and hour before Stormy came into the room. “Zacky’s here, he wants to see you.”

“Ok” Brian whispered and let go of his daughter who had fallen back to sleep.

He pulled the covers up over her and kissed her head before following Stormy out to the living room where Zacky was waiting.

“Hey” Brian said

“Sorry, I know you are dealing with some heavy shit right now, but I didn’t know who else to go to”

“No, it’s ok. What’s up?”

Stormy walked into the living room and handed them each a beer. “Thank you, baby” Brian winked at her as she left them alone.

“Aubrey asked me for a divorce”

“Whoa” was all Brian could come up with.

“I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how to live my life without her in it.”

“Then fight, don’t sign the papers.” Brian sipped his beer. “She’s just mad now. It happened over 20 years ago.”

“Yeah, but I don’t think she’ll ever forgive me for it.”

“Look, the way I see it is you can either watch her walk away and end your marriage or you can man up and take control of the situation. I slept with Syd and Stormy could have walked out on me and rightfully so, but I fought and hard at that. She loves the hell out of me and I wouldn’t give that up for anything.”

Zacky finished his beer. “I should go, I told my son I would let him know how Melody is doing. How is she by the way?”

“I don’t know. She hasn’t said a word to me.”

“She will, just give her time. Thanks for the chat.” Brian nodded as Zacky got up and walked out.

Brian walked over to the kitchen where he found his wife making sandwiches.

“What are you doing?” he asked standing behind her with his arms around her waist.

“Making you lunch”

He smiled and rested his chin on her shoulder. “How’d I get to be so lucky?”

“It’s only a sandwich,” she laughed.

“That’s not what I meant” he smiled and kissed her cheek.

--

At the Hospital

When Zacky walked into his son’s hospital room his wife was sitting there at his bedside.

“Hi” he said uncomfortably as he pulled up a chair.

“Hi” Aubrey answered but didn’t look at him.

“What’s going on?” Blade asked noticing the tension between his parents.

“Nothing, honey, everything is fine.” His mother said, but he knew she was only saying that for his benefit. Something wasn’t right.

“How are you feeling?” Zacky asked.

“Better. The doctor says I can go home tomorrow”

“That’s great. You can come back and stay at the mansion if you want”

“I’ll think about it”

“I’m going to go get some coffee” Aubrey got up and left Zacky alone with his son.

“How bad is it?”

“She wants a divorce” Zacky wasn’t going to sugar coat things.

“What? She’s not even going to try and work things out?”

“No”

“Well what are you going to do about it?”

“I don’t know”

“You don’t know? You’re the one who fucked up here, you better figure something out”

“Hey, I’m still your father, watch your mouth” Zacky warned.

“Whatever. Have you heard anything about Melody yet?”

“Yeah” Zacky lowered his gaze to the floor.

“What is it? Just tell me.”

“It’s bad Blade.”

“I can take it, just tell me.”

Zacky went on to tell his son of the events that unfolded the night they found Laura. He explained how they got the other kids out and how Matt and Brian found Melody and got her out of the house. He then went on to tell his son how they had tortured her and what she had to endure in the time she was there. By the time he was finished, Blade looked like he wanted to throw up.

“She’s home now with her family, but it’s going to be a while before things return to normal for her.”

“And Laura?”

“She’s dead, for sure.”

“I think maybe I will come back and stay at the mansion for a little while, you know just to make sure mom is ok.”

Zacky nodded and deep down knew the real reason his son was coming back to the mansion. His only problem was going to be Brian.

Down the hall….

As promised, Jimmy brought his son pancakes for breakfast.

“You are the best dad ever.” He said shoveling the pancakes in his mouth.

“Slow down” Seven laughed as she watched him eat.

“What’s wrong dad?”

“Jonnie is gone”

“WHAT??? I thought she only needed stitches”

“No no, that’s not what I mean.” Jimmy grabbed a chair and pulled it up beside the bed. “She ran away”

“Why?” Seven asked

“She left a note citing a few reasons, all justifiable. We ignored her and treated her like she didn’t even exist.”

“We’ll are we going to get her back?” Legend asked his father

“I think Matt has a plan, but we can’t force her if she doesn’t want to come home”

“Wow, she really left?” Seven asked.

“Yeah, this is no joke.” Jimmy was sadder then he was letting on.

“How’s Johnny?”

“Miserable”

“Hey do you mind if I go see Blade for a little while?” Seven asked Legend

“No, go ahead. Tell him hi for me”

“I will. I’ll be back soon” She left the room leaving him alone with his father.

“It’s my fault” Jimmy said.

“What is your fault?”

“Jonnie. In her letter, she said there were times that she wished I was her father too. You know before you all came along she was the only baby in the house and we all spoiled her rotten. Then when we had our own kids, I guess we lost sight of her.”

“Don’t beat yourself up. You can spoil her when she comes back.”

“Yeah” Jimmy said looking down at the ground.

--
Down the hall….
Zacky stood when Seven walked into the room. She walked over and hugged him and then walked over to Blade.

“Hello love” she smiled and hugged him.

“Hey gorgeous, when you gonna dump that loser and get with a real man” he joked.

“Never! I love that loser” she laughed and kissed his nose. “How are you?”

“I’m good, I’m going home tomorrow.”

“So is Legend” she smiled.

“That’s awesome” Zacky said.

“Yeah, he can’t wait. So how long are you going to be in a cast?”

“Six weeks. So get ready because when this cast comes off my leg I’ll be chasing you around the house again.”

“Ha ha! Deal!” She laughed.

“Uncle Zacky can I ask a favor?”

“Sure kiddo, what is it?”

“Something is wrong with dad”

“Say no more” he winked and walked out of the room to go find Jimmy.

When Zacky was out of sight Blade looked at Seven. “Can you do me a favor?”

“Yeah what is it?” she asked.

“Can you give this to Melody for me?” he handed her a folded piece of paper.

“Sure”

“Thanks” he smiled.

“She’ll be ok”

“I know she will, she’s tough and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss her little attitude. I would give anything to be standing in front of her right now yelling at her for following me around like a lost puppy.”

Seven put her hand on his. “awww you love her don’t you?”

“Is that what you call it?” he said “Is love what you call it when you should have seen the danger signs all along, but you ignored them. I love what you call it when you knew that there was a stranger lurking around at different times and you don’t say anything. Is love what you call it when you completely ignore the one person who looks up to you and ends up suffering the worst possible torment? If that’s fucking love, I can’t imagine what the definition of hate is.”

“Oh honey” she said hugging him as he finally let his feelings out and started to sob. “This is not your fault by any means. Don’t do this to yourself.”

“I could have stopped it. I should have told someone about Laura.”

Seven sat up and wiped the tears from his face. “I wont stand for this. Nope, you are Mr. ego trip bad boy, not Mr. feel sorry for myself crybaby. Be strong, if not for yourself, then for be strong for Mel.”

He nodded. “You really think I’m a bad boy?”

“mmm hmmm. If I were single, I’d spank you”

He laughed the hardest he’d ever laughed in a long time. Seven in a lot of ways was just like her mother when she first met the guys. In different ways, she was there for all of them, but gave her heart to only one.

“I think you better get back to your man. Give that lucky son of a bitch a hug for me ok”

“I will” she smiled.

“Why don’t you hug that lucky son of a bitch yourself?” Legend said as he walked into the room.

“Hey, are you allowed to be out of bed?” Blade asked.

“I’m not a criminal now move over.” Blade moved over and Legend got onto the bed beside him and stretched out his legs.

“There’s never a damn camera when you need one.” Seven smiled. “as much as the thought of you two in bed together turns me on, I promised my dad I would stop by the house.”

“Well then come and love on me before you go” Legend held out his arms and she hugged him and kissed him goodbye. When she pulled back Blade was pointing to his cheek and she leaned over and kissed it.

“Bye you two” she laughed and walked out of the room.

Back at the mansion…

Jimmy and Zacky ran into the house like their asses were on fire. They ran straight into the living room where Matt was sitting with Sydney.

“We got it, we know how we’re gonna get Jonnie to come home” Jimmy exclaimed proudly while Zacky nodded beside him. Matt looked at the two of them and tried not to laugh.

“and just how do you plan on doing that?”

“We’re going to kidnap her!”

Matt put his hand on his stomach he was laughing so hard it hurt.

“Yeah, that’s not going to happen. I have a better idea”

Jimmy and Zacky looked at each other wondering what the hell he could be up to now.