‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 29

Sydney’s flashback continued…

After Matt had told me that he thought we should get a divorce, I decided that it was time to take matters into my own hands now. It had been a week since the night we had the fight in the babies nursery, a week since he said the word divorce. I signed those papers once and I’ll be damned if I would do it again. After all we had been through divorce was not an option.

On this particular evening I was just coming out of the shower and as I passed the window I saw Matt standing outside with Kari. He was kissing her goodbye. He turned back towards the house when she got in her car and I moved away from the window before he could see me. Could things get any worse between us? That is when the idea popped into my head.

I put on a robe and went downstairs to see Brian. I passed Matt on the way, but never gave him a second look. When I got to Brian’s door, I was nervous, but I had to do it.

“Hi” Stormy said when she answered the door.

“Hi, I know it’s late, but can I speak with Brian for a minute?”

“Yeah sure, come in” she stepped out of the way and I walked inside and over to the couch where Brian was sitting. Obviously by the candlelight and the wine, I was interrupting something.

“I’m sorry, you guys.”

“It’s ok, what’s up?” Brian asked.

“Well, I was wondering if I could borrow the cabin for the weekend”

“Yeah of course, I’ll get the keys” Brian got up and left Syd alone with her sister.

“Do you think you could keep an eye on the twins for me this weekend. I know it’s a lot to ask and short notice, but it would really be helping me out”

“Yeah no problem” Stormy said.

“Here you go” Brian handed her the keys and sat back down on the couch.

“One last favor before I go?”

“Ok” Brian said.

“Don’t tell anyone where I’m going, especially Matt. Please?”

“Wow, now that’s putting me in an awkward position.”

“I know, I’m sorry to ask this of you, but I promise it will be worth it,” she begged.

“Ok fine, but you owe me.” I knew he meant it when he said that and would eventually collect on his debt.

I took the keys and walked back upstairs and once again I passed Matt as I walked through the living room. He looked as if he was about to say something, but I didn’t give him the time of day. I just walked up to my room as if he weren’t even there.

The following morning I got up and pulled a small suitcase out of my closet and began to pack. I dressed in a pair of very short cut off denim shorts and a white wife beater that I cut in half to expose my toned stomach. I left my hair loose and put on a pair of flip-flops. When I was sure that Matt wouldn’t be in his bedroom, I went to my dresser and pulled out a little purple box and walked quietly in his room and set it down on the dresser. I left quickly so as not to get caught and went back to my room and grabbed my suitcase.

I walked down the stairs and passed Matt who was standing in the living room with Brian and Stormy. Matt had Seven in his arms and Stormy had Lryic. I walked over and kissed my children goodbye.

“I’ll see you Monday morning,” I said to my sister and she nodded and told me to have fun. All the while Matt looked bewildered as he was completely unaware that I was going on a little trip.

I picked up my suitcase and brought it out to my car and put it in the trunk. Through my sunglasses I could see him peeking out through the curtains. I got in the driver seat and took off for the cabin. If all went well, he would be mine in the next few hours.

At the cabin, I slipped out of my clothes and put on my purple silk robe, the short one that Matt loved. I waited and waited and waited, but he never showed up. Either he didn’t get the hint I left him or he really really wanted the divorce.

It was getting late, and still no Matt. I poured myself a glass of wine and came to the realization that he wasn’t going to show. So, after finishing my wine, I went to bed and as I lay there alone, I let the tears come one by one until I fell asleep.

The wine must have knocked me out because I never heard the door open nor did I feel the bed shift. I did however feel his finger trailing up my arm and when I opened my eyes there he was. No shirt on and propped up on one elbow with a huge grin on his face.

He held up the box in his hand so I could see it. “Sorry, I’m late. Took me a little while to realize this was sitting on my end table.” He sat up, opened the box and took out the skeleton key. “Now, if I recall, when we all agreed to give you a skeleton key, the purpose was that you could use them whenever, wherever and for whatever you wanted. Since, this one was sitting on my end table, I can only assume you have decided you want something from me.”

I sat up and moved my hair behind my ear. I looked at the key he was holding in his hand and then back to him. I was never so nervous in my life.

“So, what do you want, Sydney?”

This was the moment I had been waiting for, and yet I was so nervous I couldn’t answer. He wasn’t making it easy either. The smug bastard with sitting there smiling at me and part of me wanted to tell him to fuck off for making me suffer.

“Sydney? If you don’t answer me, I am going to assume this was a mistake and you didn’t leave this key for me to come here. So, I am only going to ask you one more time before I leave. What is it you want?”

“I want my husband. I want you” I couldn’t look at him, I don’t know why, but I felt so shy being there with him. He grabbed my chin and turned my face forcing me to look at him.

“Done” he smiled and kissed my lips. It was if we had kissed for the first time and it was amazing. We didn’t leave the bedroom for the entire weekend.


--

“What are you doing?” Sydney asked her husband who was sitting in his office deep in paperwork.

“Just finishing up something I’m working on to help get Jonnie to come back”

She looked at him confused. “How is all that paper going to get Jonnie back?”

“You’ll see” he grinned.

“Well can you take a break for a second?”

“Sure, what’s up?” he asked and she walked over to him and straddled his lap. As she faced him she pouted. “Syd?” he asked confused.

“I’m not happy with them”

“with who?”

She took off her shirt and threw it on the floor. “Them” she pointed to her chest.

“Wh…What…. what’s wrong with them?” he asked grinning at her

She leaned back so he could get a better view. “Well, it’s been a while since I had the surgery and I was happy with them at first, but now I just don’t think I like them anymore. I think I need new ones.” She pouted and he was still grinning. “What do you think?”

“I think those are perfect”

“Are you sure?” she asked.

He stood up and took her with him carrying her over to the door. “What are you doing?”

“Locking the door” he smiled.

--
Brian’s apartment

“Hi” Seven said as she stood in the doorway.

“Hey, come in” Brian moved out of the way and she walked into the living room.

“Can I see Melody?”

“She isn’t really talking to anyone yet, but sure if you want to try, go ahead.”

“Thanks” Seven walked over to Melody’s room and went inside. Melody was sitting up in her bed looking at the window.

“Hey Mel” Seven said, but Melody didn’t say a word so she walked over to the bed and sat down. "Blade asked me to give you something." She placed the piece of paper in her hand.

“Melody? It’s going to be ok.” She said, but Melody just kept her gaze on the window.

“I have to go see my dad, but you can call me if you want to talk ok?” Seven got up and left the bedroom. When she was gone melody looked down at the paper from Blade and opened it.

It was a drawing of a happy face and underneath the happy face it said. “Thinking of you helps keep the smile on my face. Please don’t lose your smile. Xo Blade”

She folded the paper and put it inside the draw of her end table and laid her head on her pillow.

--
Matt’s office…

“Dad?” Seven yelled out when she tried the knob on her father’s office door and found it to be locked. She knocked and heard him scramble around inside. When he finally opened the door he looked a little disheveled. She walked in just as her mother was pulling her shirt down.

“Am I interrupting something?” Seven asked.

“No, I was just leaving” Sydney said and walked over to her husband.

“Uh thanks for your um opinion,” she said slightly blushing.

“Yeah sure, no problem. Maybe we can continue this discussion further later?”

“Ok, I’ll be upstairs just you know doing stuff” she walked out the door and Seven looked at her father confused.

“What was that about?” she asked.

“Nothing daddy cant fix” he grinned at his own inside joke. “Have a seat.”

He sat behind his desk and she sat in the chair in front. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Well” he said clasping his hands together and resting them on his desk. “How would you like to break into the business?”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“I’m starting my own record label and I need someone to go to New York. I heard about a singer out there who is making a name for herself and I want you to go check her out for me.”

“That sounds like fun!”

“It will be fun, I promise, but there is one catch”

“Oh boy, what is it?”

“New York is a big place and I don’t want you to go alone. So, Lyric is going to go with you”

“Dad!”

“Just trust me, please.” Her father said.

“Ok, fine when do I leave?”

“Tonight”

“Ok, who am I going to see?”

“Her name is Jonnie Reckless”
♠ ♠ ♠
Now I can explain the whole point of Sydney's flashbacks. Not only was it to show how they got back together after being apart for two years, but it was also to bring back the Skeleton Keys from And All Things Will End. Now you know she used the first one with Matt. The other four will come into play throughout the story.

and ...seriously, did you think Jonnie would be gone for good? ;)

P.S. I heart Matt again... :)