‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 41

The dinner…. round 2

“Honey, are you drunk?” Matt asked his wife as she stumbled out of the bathroom with her dress on backwards.

“No!” she giggled.

“Oh boy” he laughed and walked over to her helping her straighten out her dress.

“How do I look?” she asked

“Like you swallowed a whole bottle of vodka” he smiled

“Did you just call me fat?” she stood there with her hands on her hips.

“No, but I will call you late for dinner if you don’t move it along” he put his hand on her back and led her down to the dining room.

Matt helped Sydney into her chair and sat down at the head of the table. While Jimmy sat down at the other end.

James” he said greeting Jimmy with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Matthew” Jimmy shot back.

Legend and Seven looked at each other and both wanted to get up and leave knowing this evening wasn’t going to be as pleasant as they both hoped it would be.

At the table to the right of Jimmy sat Tera, Zacky, Aubrey and Blade along with Johnny and Riley. To the left of Matt at the other head sat Sydney, Seven & Legend along with sat Brian, Stormy and Melody. Jonnie and Lyric also sat on the left side of the table, which made things all the more uncomfortable.

For an occasion that was supposed to be special, it was certainly interesting to say the least.

Stormy and Mel were making small talk with each while Brian listened to their conversation without comment. Johnny and Riley were silent. Riley was barely touching the food on her plate. Johnny felt really bad and reached for her hand under the table and gave it a light squeeze. Sydney, well Sydney was blasted drunk and continued drinking much to Matt’s displeasure.

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough honey?” he said politely trying not to draw attention to the two of them.

“no” she smiled sweetly

“Maybe you should slow down just a little and eat something” he suggested.

“I already ate! I had cake!” she laughed and Stormy along with Aubrey, Tera and Riley tried really hard not to laugh. “I almost ate the bride and groom too!”

“What is she talking about?” Seven asked looking at her father.

“Uh well your future father in law over there decided to throw your wedding cake on the floor!” Matt said back and smiled at Jimmy.

“Dad?” Legend questioned what Matt was talking about.

“I did no such thing, you bastard. YOU threw the cake on the floor” he shouted back.

“My wedding cake?” Seven asked.

“Don’t worry honey, it didn’t go to waste” Sydney smiled.

“Oh my god” Seven looked at Legend and the two of them let out a sigh. This was obviously just the beginning of the nightmare for both of them.
“Calm down, it will all be over soon” he whispered in her ear.

“So, Jonnie. I heard you got a record deal” Aubrey tried to take the attention away from the fight.

“Yeah, well I’m still thinking about it” she said.

“So are when will we get to hear you sing?” Zacky asked.

Legend spoke up this time. “Tomorrow, at the wedding. Jonnie is going to sing while we dance our first dance.” He said proudly.

“I wanna dance!” Sydney stood up, but Matt grabbed her and pushed her back down gently I her seat.

“Now is not the time, Sydney” he was really trying hard not to lose his patience with her.

“If the girl wants to dance, I say let her dance!” Jimmy said

“Don’t you think you should worry about your own wife, Jimmy?”

“I think we should take the party out to the yard” Aubrey stood up as did her husband and motioned for everyone to join them for drinks in the yard.

“Great, just what this party needs, more alcohol” Lyric said sarcastically.

--

In the back yard…

“Daddy, I’m tired, can I leave?” Melody asked her father.

“Yeah, sure. Are you ok?” he asked

“I’m fine, just tired.” She lied; she didn’t want to be in the same place with Blade.

“Ok, well we won’t be long” he hugged her just before she went back inside.

Meanwhile over at the bar…

“Hi” Johnny said to his daughter who was making herself a drink.

“Hi” she answered, but she didn’t look at him.

“So, how’ve you been?” he was trying to make small talk

“Ok I guess”

He nodded. “I was thinking maybe I could come see you play sometime, if that’s alright with you, of course”

“Really?” She didn’t know if he was being serious or not.

“Yeah, really”

“I would love that, dad” she smiled.

They continued with small talk keeping the tension between them down and for the most part enjoyed themselves.

Lyric and Blade were chatting over by the pool and all the while Lyric never took his eyes off of Johnny as he spoke to his daughter.

“Does he know about the two of you?” Blade asked

“What’s there to know?”

“Aren’t you two like together or something?”

Lyric sipped his beer and shook his head. “It’s more like, or something”

“Well it looks like it’s more than that” Blade noted.

“No. Honestly, we haven’t done anything, but kiss. I don’t think she’s ready for a commitment or anything serious.”

“Friends with benefits. That’s cool” Blade said and Lyric started laughing and nearly spit out his beer.

As Lyric was about to speak again he heard his father raising his voice. “I need to go make sure my father doesn’t kill my mother. I’ll be back” he walked over to where Matt was scolding Sydney.

“What is going on? You’re making a scene,” he said to his father.

“Me? You’re mother over here is trashed and cant seem to keep her clothes on”

“I want to go swimming!” Sydney whined.

“Mom, you can’t swim and you’re drunk” he added.

“You both suck!” she said and walked away leaving the two of them standing there watching her as she went to get another drink.

Brian was holding Stormy close as he danced with her. There was no music, but it didn’t matter to him, he just wanted to be as close to her as he could and if this was the chance she was going to give him then he was going to take it.

Tera had decided it would be best if her and Jimmy had an early night at least for the sake of the Legend and Seven. Riley had already gone up to sleep and a little while later Johnny had said goodbye to his daughter and left her there with the rest of the kids.

And so as the night began to die down all of the parents had pretty much called it a night and their kids stayed behind a little longer. Lyric grabbed Jonnie’s hand and walked her away from everyone else out to the car while Legend and Seven also excused themselves for some quiet time alone. Blade was only one left standing and he wasn’t ready to call it a night yet.

Matt had picked Sydney up over his shoulder and carried her upstairs to their room. When he got her inside he dropped her down on the bed without a care for being gentle.

“Hey!” she said pushing her hair out of her face.

“Hey yourself, damn it” he shot back.

“You’re mad at me?” she asked still unaware that she was drunk and had drove him crazy all night.

“Yes, Sydney. I’m mad at you. You made a god damn fool out of me tonight” he was trying not to shout.

“You’re sexy when you’re mad” she winked and he just shook his head and walked into the bathroom mumbling something under his breath.

A few minutes later she knocked on the bathroom door. “MATT!” she yelled. And he opened the door wearing only his boxer shorts. “WHAT” he yelled back.

“Are you still mad?” she asked twirling a strand of hair between her fingers.

“Yes” he nodded and shut the door.

When she heard the shower running she knocked on the door again. He huffed and got out of the shower and answered the door. She stood before him in only her undergarments and heels. “What is it now Sydney?”

“Are you still mad?” she asked again.

“Yes” he closed the door once again and continued with his shower. When he was done he put on a pair of sweats and opened the bathroom door again. She stood in front of him without a single stitch of clothing on her body. “Are you still mad now?” she asked.

“Uh yeah” he said yes, but shook his head no. She smiled and walked closer to him and put her arms around his neck. “It’s Matty time” she said and kissed his lips.

“Me likes Matty time” he grinned and lifted her up in his arms.

--

Blade…

It was dark, but the sky was clear and he was by no stretch of the imagination tired. So, he walked around the side of the house and pondered the thought of going to see Melody. She hadn’t said a word to him all night; she didn’t even look at him. After walking he found himself at her bedroom window.

When he looked in he saw her curled up in her chair sleeping at her computer desk. He knocked on her window knowing he was running a big risk in meeting Brian’s right hook again, but with alcohol comes courage. He knocked again and Melody opened her eyes and looked over to the window. When she saw him, she got up off her chair and walked over and opened the window.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Just passing by. Why are you sleeping at your desk?”

“I was watching videos, I must have fallen a sleep.”

He nodded and sat down on the windowsill. “You look like you haven’t slept in a year.”

“I’m fine” she said as she stood there with her hands on her hips.

“Really? Then why don’t you go to bed?” he asked.

“I’m not tired” she lied and sat on the other side of the window.

“Mel, you were sleeping just now”

“So what”

“So, you are so tired you can hardly keep your eyes open!”

“Well, I’m not going to sleep. Now, if you don’t mind I really want to be left alone”

He climbed over the sill and into his room. His cast was gone and in it’s place was a brace that he would have to wear for a little while until his leg was fully healed.

“What are you doing?” she asked as he walked over to her computer desk. “Get away from there” she said and tried to block her computer screen from him, but he was quicker than she was.

“You’re watching videos of my band?” he smiled smugly and she blushed.

“So” she said crossing her arms.

He sat down in the chair. “Come on, out with it. Why are you still awake” he said.

“I can’t go to sleep. They hurt me when I sleep and when I scream it wakes up my dad. So, I’m not going to sleep anymore. Everyone already thinks I’m crazy, I may as well look the part”

He got up and walked over to her bed. After pulling the covers back he turned around to face her and crooked his finger motioning for her to go over there. When she did she stopped in front of the bed and looked at him.

“Get in” he said.

“no” she shook her head adamant that she wasn’t going to go to sleep.

“Get in or I will yell so loud I’ll wake up your father” he warned and the last thing she wanted was her father in her room right now. She got in the bed and he walked over to the window to close it before walking back over and getting in the bed himself.

“What are you doing?” she asked as he pulled the covers up over the two of them.
He turned to face her and put his arm around her waist. “Shut up and go to sleep”
She closed her eyes and it didn’t even take five minutes before she was out cold.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a filler...wedding is next chapter. A main character was supposed to die at the wedding, but I changed my mind. I may still kill him though...I havent decided yet.