‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 56

Sydney knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer, when Tera opened the door she could see that Sydney wasn’t happy. “I need to speak to your husband, please leave us alone for a little while”

“Be my guest!” Tera said and shot Jimmy a nasty look before walking out the door and letting Sydney walk in.

Sydney closed the door behind her and he sat up on his bed. It was evident by the fact that her eyes were swollen that she had been crying. She took the box she was holding in her hand and threw it at him hitting him right in the center of his forehead with it.

“What the hell?” he said looking at her like she was crazy. He opened the box and looked down at the key and then back at her. Just like the four others before him, he asked the question. “What do you want, Syd?”

“I am sick and tired of the pettiness between you and my husband. I can’t take it anymore, Jimmy. You two act like five year olds when you are in the same room together and I have had it!” she said stamping her feet on the floor.

“Sydney, you do realize you just acted like a five year old” he said which only set her off more.

“Jimmy, you ruined my birthday. My husband worked so hard to make that day special for me and you ruined it. What did I do to deserve that?”

He got up off the bed and set the box down on the table. “I didn’t mean to upset you,” he said apologetically.

“Well you did and because of you, I haven’t spoken to my poor husband since. You’ve both caused me more stress in the last few weeks and I should not have had to deal with any of it.”

She wiped her eyes on her sleeve and he started to walk closer, but she backed away.

“Don’t you come near me. I want you to fix this right now. I want you to go find my husband and fix whatever it is that has you two at each other’s throats because if you don’t then I will leave this house and go back to the cabin for good and I really don’t think you want to be the reason why my marriage ends.”

She walked out of the room hysterical and passed Tera on her way down the hall. When Tera got back to their room she stood in the doorway with her arms folded and her foot tapping the ground. If he wasn’t afraid before, he sure was now.

--

Jimmy walked down the hall and down the spiral staircase into the living room where Matt was sitting watching television. He looked just as bad as she did. He sat on the other end of the couch where Matt sat and looked at the television. They sat there quietly for a few more minutes before Jimmy finally spoke.

“Sydney is pretty upset,” he said continuing to look at the random images on the television screen.

“Yeah” Matt nodded.

“I guess it’s our fault”

“Yup” Matt nodded again.

“So, I guess we should do something about it”

“Uh huh”

Matt turned off the television and set the remote down on his lap. “What is your problem?” he asked Jimmy.

“I don’t know. What’s your problem?” Jimmy asked Matt and got the same answer.

“I don’t know” he shrugged.

“Great so we now know that neither of us has a problem.”

Matt nodded in agreement and Jimmy moved over one cushion so he was sitting next to Matt.

“If I hug you will you go up there and make her stop crying?”

Matt laughed and looked at Jimmy. “You’re a fucking freak, but I love the hell out of you.”

“Awesome!” Jimmy yelled and jumped in Matt’s lap. “So, can we kiss and make up now?”

“Jimmy if you kiss me I swear I’ll kick your ass!” He said with laughter in his voice.

“Fine!” Jimmy licked the side of Matt’s face and jumped off his lap and ran up to his room.

Matt got up off the couch and walked upstairs to the bedroom he shared with Sydney. She was lying on their bed with her back facing him. He climbed onto the bed and spooned against her rubbing her arm while she sobbed.

“I can’t take it anymore” she cried.

“You don’t have to. It’s not going to happen again” he said and kissed her head. “Jimmy licked my face so we’re all good now” and for the first time in the last few days she laughed.

She turned to face her husband and let him kiss her. “Now can I give you your birthday present?” he asked and she nodded in response. When he got up off the bed she sat up and wiped her face with her hands. He went to the closet and pulled out a box and walked back to the bed with it. He sat down in front of her and set the box down on his lap.

“Now, before you open this box I want you to close your eyes and think of one thing. Any one thing in the entire world that you want the most.” She looked at him strangely

“Just do it” he laughed and she closed her eyes.

After a few seconds she opened her eyes. “I cant”

“Why not?” he asked with a knowing smile on his face.

“I already have the one thing I want the most. It’s your heart”

He nodded and handed her the box. Sydney untied the ribbon and took the top off and looked up at Matt. “It’s empty?” she said confused.

“Yeah” he nodded.

“Um, I don’t get it?” she smiled strangely.

“I couldn’t think of anything that would make you happy other than being loved. I know you love me and I know you know I love you too, so while that box may look empty, I filled it with all the love I could so even when I’m not with you, I’m with you.”

Sydney put the box aside and hugged her husband. “That’s the best present in the whole world!” she said.

“Am I forgiven for messing up your birthday now?” he asked with a little boy pout on his face.

“Awe, I’ll have to think about it.” She said and put the lid back on the box and trying not to laugh knowing he was looking at her disappointed.

“Umm” she said looking up and rubbing her chin. “OK!” she laughed and let him off the hook. After throwing her arms around his neck she pecked kisses all over his face while he laughed as hard as he could.
♠ ♠ ♠
The last key is back in it's owner's hands and there is still one hint that hasnt come to light yet. I did say there would be two weddings and you know one is Legend and Seven...the other well... :)