‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 68

He stood on the other side of the door nervous as could be and finally mustered up enough courage to knock. When Brian answered he stood there annoyed as if Blade had just interrupted something and judging by the fact the Brian was only wearing a pair of jeans with the button’s undone, he knew exactly what he was interrupting. If there was anything in the house that everyone knew it was how pissed off Brian got when he was pulled away from spending time with Stormy.

Brian said with visible annoyance on his face. “Melody went for a walk so you’re out of luck, Baker”

Blade swallowed hard before speaking. “I uh came to see you”

Brian sighed and held the door open so Blade could pass through it. He went to the kitchen to get them each a beer and when he came back he handed one to Blade and set his down on the table. Blade stood nervously as Brian walked over to the mantle and picked up one of his guns and started to polish it in front of him.

“What do you want to see me about?” he smirked.

“I…well”

“This is about my daughter isn’t it?” Brian said helping him along. Blade nodded and sipped the ice-cold beer.

“yes”

“Well?”

“Well I was just…”

“You were just going to ask my permission to date her” Brian said as he stroked the barrel of the gun. “Because you are so smart that you know better than to go behind my back” he smirked.

“Yes” Blade nodded again as the beads of sweat formed on his head.

“and you know my wife and my daughter are the two most important things in the world to me” his finger slid lazily over the trigger…

“yes” Blade was verging on vomiting right about now and Brian was laughing on the inside.

“If anything ever happened to my daughter I would just….”

“Daddy!” Melody said as she came walking through the door. “What are you doing?” she said standing there with her hands on her hips.

“Polishing my gun” he smiled.

“I’m sure mom would love to know about that” she teased and started for her parents bedroom.

“Don’t do that,” he warned. “You’ll be late for the movie”

“What movie?” she asked as she turned and faced her father.

“The one pretty boy over here is taking you too.” He nodded towards Blade.

“Oh”

Melody walked back over to Blade as her father continued to speak. “He’s going to bring you home by midnight. Isn’t that right Baker?” He pulled a bullet out of his pocket and put it in the chamber.

“Y-yes”

“and he’s not going to try any funny business either. Correct?”

Blade shook his head vigorously.

“Then you better go. Did I mention I have an itchy trigger finger?”

Blade grabbed Melody’s hand “Run” he said and ushered her out of the apartment.

Brian stood there laughing as hard as he could. “I loves my guns!”