‹ Prequel: Katy's Summer

Dear Katy

Don't Get Fooled By Halloween Costumes

I put on my white ballerina flats and turned around, greeted by Alex, who was standing on the doorway of the hospital room. There was a bouquet of sunflowers in his hand, my favorite.

“I got you these.”, he smiled as he handed me the bouquet. “Finally, you’re out.”

“Alex.”, I breathed and put the flowers on the bed. “Why did you do this to me?”

“Do what?”

I walked over to the wall and leaned on it. “This. You know that I’m with Paul now, and you’re acting like we’re together.”

“But you said yourself that we’re going to be together soon.”

“Did you listen to what you said?! You fucking lied to me, Alex!”, I lost my temper.

Alex’s eyes widened and it was like all the blood in his face was drowned out. “What?”

“You asked Sara to be your girlfriend. Which part of the promise is that?”

“Katy—“

“No!”, I snap. “Just, stay away from us, Alex. We’re done forever.”

He tried to hold my hand but I clinched away. I looked to the wall and a second later, he walked out from the room. the lock felt hot against my skin. I pulled it off my bracelet and threw it against the broken white wall.

June

July

August

September

October


Alex

“Jack!”, Aubrey’s squealing echoed against the bus’s walls. I sighed and turned around inside my bunk. We were already on our way across the country.

It’s been five months since the last time I talked or saw Katy. Her final words, which were saying her and I were done, stung my ear lobes every time I remember it.

“Hey, Alex!”, Aubrey pulled open the curtain of my bunk. “We’re going costume shopping, wanna come with?”

“Costume shopping?”, I asked groggily.

She nodded. “Yeah, it’s October, dummy. It’s almost Halloween!”

I slid out from my bunk and quickly slid into a pair of black converse before following Aubrey out from the bus. We stopped in front of a WalMart, with a little costume store next to it.

Serena and Dexter were going inside WalMart first, which meant only Jack, Aubrey, Rian and I went inside the costume store first.

“Ha, look at this!”, Aubrey took a pirate eye patch and put it on her. “Yar!”

“You look dumb, sis.”, Jack chuckled as he put on a football helmet.

“You don’t look good as a football player.”, She scrunched her nose at her brother and went to the back of the store.

I walked around the store and saw Rian and Jack was goofing off with the pink gorilla mask. The bell of the store rang, signaling there was a customer just went inside the store.

Chitter chatter of a girl and a guy aired up. from what I’ve heard, the girl asked the guy to be a banana for Halloween.

“Aubrey?!”, the girl squealed.

“Hey!”, Aubrey’s child voice was heard.

Suddenly, it felt like someone shot cold water through my spine and it was hard for me to turn around. “Alex?”

Slowly but sure, I turned myself around and greeted by the girl with her turquoise eyes, widened in shock. “Katy.”

“What are you guys doing here?”, she asked awkwardly.

“Costume shopping. Aubrey’s idea.”

She nodded. “I’m sorry if I’m too harsh on you.”

I looked past her shoulder and I could see Aubrey was talking to Paul, which means, giving me more time to talk to Katy. “No, my fault.”

“So, are you still with Sara?”

“No, I broke up with her five months ago.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Hey, Kate, we gotta get going.”, Paul suddenly already beside her with a huge paper bag in his hand.

“Oh my god, you bought it for real?!”, Katy laughed as she eyes his bag.

Paul shrugged his shoulder and kissed her temple. I wanted to just hit his face with a baseball bat, but who am I in her life? He was her boyfriend, and I’m no one.

“See you later, Alex.”, Katy smiled and followed Paul out from the store.

“Alex? You okay?”, Rian asked as he clapped my shoulder. Aubrey and Jack stood closer to me, like I was going on a mental breakdown on where I stand.

“Yeah, I’m okay.”
***************
“You gotta be kidding me!”, Serena’s faded scoffed was heard into my bunk.
“I’m sorry, but there’s already a contract!”

“Matt, do you think he’ll be up for it? He’s in no condition to be near her or whatsoever!”, Dexter argued a little louder.

Out of curiosity, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and got out from my bunk. “What is it, guys?”, I asked as I stepped into the back lounge.

Their eyes were on me when I was in. all of their arms were crossed and I could feel the tension in the air. Serena was the one who loosen up and sat down on the couch. “We need to tell you this earlier.”

“Tell me what?”

“You know there’s a Halloween show, right?”, Dexter asked.

I nodded and sat down next to Serena. “Yeah.”

“Well, dude, the show is some kind of a mashed up show with OP tour.”, Matt explained.

“That means they’ll be there.”

“Who?”

“Boys Like Girls, Alex.”, Serena pointed out.

“And that means…”

“Katy will be there.”

Suddenly, it hits me. I didn’t think about it too far. Katy will be there all night. She’ll be watching our show. She’ll be there.

“I’m sorry. We just, want you to know this before the show, so you could do something about it.”, Serena smiled bitterly.
*************
October 31st

“Here you go, Alex!”, Sierra from VersaEmerge lent me her clothes as my costume. I put on her dream catcher necklace and adjusted my brown wig.

“Thanks!”, I embraced her in a hug. “I didn’t know that your clothes could fit in me!”

She slapped my arm. “Shut up!”

I walked out from their dressing room and went inside ours. Everyone was putting their costume on and I laughed when I saw Rian’s. “Dude, what the fuck are you wearing?!”

“What? I forgot to do costume shopping and I just took one of the bras and put it on! Do I look nice?”, he spun around, showing us in the dressing room the skirt and bra he wore.

“Look at me! look at me!”, Aubrey jumped around with her red suit with a dragon tail on the back. She put on her Charmender’s head mask on and she looked like the exact Pokemon.

“I think I look good!”, Zack came out with an orange wig and a green top, which I could guessed Dexter’s. “I made a deal with her, I’ll be a girl and she’ll be—“
“Marky!”, Dexter jumped on Zack’s back, dressed up like Marky from Glamour Kills. With a GK t-shirt, skinny jeans, my grey beanie, and square glasses, she looked oddly normal.

“Uhm, Dex, you look…normal.”

“Well, I haven’t put on the fake beard!”, she took the fake beard from the coffee table and put it on. “Now, how do I look?!”

“You look creepy.”, Serena laughed as she walked into the dressing room with her cat costume. She was wearing the ears headband and the paws gloves and shoes.

“Okay guys, show time.”, Matt suddenly went inside the room with his Mickey Mouse wizard hat.

Aubrey tilted her head to the side on him. “What are you, Matty?”

“Mickey Mouse?”

We rolled our eyes and walked out from the room. the halogen light on the hallways’ ceilings blinded my eyes when I stepped out.

Danny handed me my guitar when we were getting ready on the side of the stage.

“Hey, Alex.”

I turned around and I almost chocked on my own breath. Katy was dressing up as the hotter version of little red riding hood. She was wearing a black mini dress under her long red hood, with black flats shoes. Hotter not sluttier.
“Oh, hi Katy.”

“Nice costume. Sierra told me everything.”, she giggled as she looked me up and down.

“You too.”

“Mine was totally last minute.”

“Mine too.”

There was an awkward silent for a minute until the crowd’s screaming snapped both of us out. “Well, break a leg.”

I sucked my fear up and pecked her lips quickly before running out to the stage.

Katy

When Alex’s lips touched mine for a merely split second, electric jolts ran inside my body. When he ran out to the stage, I touched my lips and I could feel it tingled.

I stood right at the side of the stage and my eyes were glued on Alex. “Katy?”

I looked to the side and all of my friends were there. “Guys!”

“We missed you, Kate!”, Dexter giggled.

“Yeah, without you, there’s no one to pull a prank on anymore!”, Serena pouted.

I pouted too and hugged all of them back.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry if its long
my friends, especially Indri, stoked for this chapter
but the real chapter is on the second part,lol
well,thank you all for the comments and subscription
<3