Pearl and Silk

Prey

Derek didn't waste one second in turning back around to face the enchanter, sparing hardly an ounce of remorse for my obvious emotional struggle. His face held a dangerous look upon it, and I almost wanted to scoff at how greedy he was acting. The boy was a prince, and here he was risking our lives for a meager wish. But I knew that there was absolutely no going back now, no matter how much I wished it. I gave my word and I had to keep it.

“Alright,” Derek began. “I wish that-“

“Ah-ah-ah, boy. Ladies first. Isn’t that right,Odette?” My spine shook with disgust as he purred my name. The man-creature had a way of slithering through his words, and once or twice, I could have sworn that I caught a glimpse of a blue snake-like tongue flicking between his decaying teeth.

Suddenly I realized that two pairs of expecting eyes were on me, waiting for some sort of reply. When I had agreed to the enchanter’s terms, however, it hadn’t occurred to me that I would have to conjure up a wish of my own at some point. What would I wish for, anyway? I had no desire for anything in particular, expect for maybe a safe escape from this dreadful situation. So I fumbled over a few replies, stammering random phrases for a few moments in hope that something coherent would make its way out of my lips.

Suddenly, as I mumbled embarrassingly, something snapped within the man. In an instant, all of his patience evaporated and was replaced with a white hot anger that would have made the bravest of knights quake in their armor.

Enough!,” he howled sternly, then began to speak through clenched teeth. “I am not here to play games with you children, I am granting you wishes. So be grateful and get on with it.”

In an urgent flash, my eyes flickered around me in search of something, anything that would provide inspiration. And like some sort of miracle sign, a glare caught my eye. I followed the shine to the edge of the lake near the base of a small waterfall, where the sunlight reflected brightly off the pearl feathers of a mingling swan. And suddenly, I knew.

“I wish that I were beautiful, as beautiful as those swans you keep.” I stared at him after answering, and all traces of bitterness seemed to have disappeared from his features.

“Hmm…but do you not think yourself already beautiful, dear girl?”

I paused for a moment, the question catching me off guard. I honestly did not know the answer. I guess I had always been a bit boyish at heart, but I tried not to let it show, mostly for my poor, old father’s sake. I kept my golden hair neatly plaited and wore dresses everyday, but somehow, I still always seemed so… wild. I was a daughter of the forest, one could say.

“It does not matter. It is what I wish.”

“Fair enough.” With that, he turned to Derek, who was waiting patiently in between Rothbart and myself. “And what will it be for you, my prince?”

Derek looked questioningly at him and opened his mouth as if to ask him how he knew of his royal status, but soon after shut it, probably concluding that enchanters must have strange ways of knowing these things. When he really did begin to speak, though, he did so quietly and sullenly.

“I wish that… that I were no longer a prince. I hate the weight of the responsibility, and I hate how they expect so much of me. I don’t want to be king. I just want to be… free.” Unexpectedly, he turned his back to Rothbart, looked me in the eye, and whispered, “…like Odette.” Then, as if with shame, he closed his eyes and heaved a small sigh.

After one torturing moment, Derek turned back to meet the eager eyes of the magician. I almost laughed as shock and joy and a feeling of pleasant surprise coursed through me. All this time I thought Derek to be acting greedily, desiring some material possession like a spoilt prince. But on the contrary, he wanted the exact opposite. My heart swelled for him in a way I didn’t understand. Rothbart grinned hysterically then proceeded to crack his gloved knuckles.

“Well, children, I gave my word that your wishes would be granted, and they will be. But my children, nothing ever comes without a price.” He grinned a terrible, disturbing smile and I shivered unwillingly. “You will find that yours will come later tonight, boy. But as for you, Odette…” he trailed off, all the while taking slow, menacing paces towards me. I began to grow more scared than I ever have in my life. My heart plunged deep into darkness and my every limb was suddenly stiff with adrenaline. “Odette's price will come now.”

With one great lurching step, the black-and-blue man lunged at me. Time seemed to stand still for a long, dragging moment as I stared into Derek’s eyes, wide with alarm and terror. He made a swift move to block Rothbart’s pounce, but alas it was not swift enough. The man was quicker. And suddenly, I was totally encompassed in his black cape.

“DEREK!” I screamed, thrashing against the enchanter’s strong grip.

“Odette, no! Let her go, you old mule!”

Rothbart laughed out loud, barely struggling with my flailing body. Bruises began to form on my arms where he held me. He was bizarrely strong; it was almost unearthly.

“Don’t worry, Prince Derek,, I will grant her wish, just as I will grant yours. But as of now, she is forever mine. You were a fool to have bargained with me; there is always a price to be had, you stupid child. Now, go.”

No!” Derek screamed uneasily, panic and fury etched across his features. “I will not go until you release her!”

I began to stop thrashing and my screams gradually became sobs as I realized the finality of the situation. We had no hope against this man; we were only two children. He had us pinned down from the very moment he set eyes upon us, like a predator and its prey. Derek could yell all he wanted, but I had to face it—he didn’t even have his sword with him. There was absolutely nothing we could do now. And as I realized that I might not ever see the boy again, I whimpered one last request.

“Please,” I whispered resignedly, “Just let me say goodbye.” All was silent as Rothbart thought it over, but suddenly threw me forward out of his death grip.

“As you wish, but be quick about it.” A giant sob escaped my lips as Derek and I dashed towards each other, closing the short space between us. I curled up into his arms and let him brush his fingers through my hair as my chest heaved up and down. I even felt Derek’s own hot tears against my cheek.

“I’m sorry, Odette, I’m so sorry,” he whispered. “I’ll come back for you.” He thrust himself back and placed his hands on either side of my face, forcing me to look him in the eye. “I’ll get a whole army to come find you if I have to.” I believed him. My lip quivered and all I could manage was a small nod of the head. Then, he pulled me back into his arms again.

“We really must be going, precious,” Rothbart purred from behind us, only making Derek hold me tighter.

“Please don’t go, Odette. Please don’t go.” But I knew I had to. I didn’t doubt that if we tried to run or escape, the man would attempt to curse us, or worse, kill us.

“Tell my father I love him, Derek.” And then I pulled away. Rothbart made no sudden movement towards me as I took a few more steps backward. I stood there between the two men in silence before bowing my head and whispering my last words. “Now, please, Derek. Go while you still can.” Derek looked at me funny for a moment as he let one last tear slip from his eye to his lips. Then, I watched as he disappeared into the trees.

He never came back.
♠ ♠ ♠
please let me know what you think!