Dark Beauty

Checking Out

As soon as Amy had signed my form, I ran up to my room. It felt odd being back there. So much had started to happen. I was still half expecting everything to be a dream. Something told me it wasn’t and that made me happy. The thought that he couldn’t control me in any way did bother me though. Carpathian voices were supposed to be irresistible when a compulsion was put behind them, especially when going against a human. Neither the vampire, nor Andreas had been able to make me even consider obeying them. Instead, I had detected it in their voices and become very annoyed instead. It was as much a mystery to me as it probably was to Andreas.

Who had he called upon for aid?

The thought came unbidden. It hadn’t occurred to me that he might try and summon aid for any help, but it made sense. I was a mystery. Others would want to know about me. They would demand the knowledge. They had the right to know too, even if I was Andreas’s lifemate. I didn’t like the thought of being someone’s lab rat. It was disconcerting.

You will never be used a ‘lab rat’. Of this, I can assure you little one. I will allow no one to ever harm you. Without a doubt that was Andreas’s voice. I made an effort to seem startled, but it hadn’t really surprised me. His voice fit in my head. It made sense of the random tangles of thoughts. He belonged there along with me. This was what it felt like to know that you aren’t alone. It made me feel a little better.

Thank you Andreas...I needed to hear that. I directed the thought to him this time. He wouldn’t have to search for it among the random displaced thoughts that I knew littered my mind. He didn’t answer in words, but sent me warmth and love instead. So this was what it felt like. I wanted it. I needed it. I was glad I had it...even if it was fleeting.

In my room, I started checking off a mental list of things as I shoved clothes into my pillowcase. Next came my contacts stuff and my little toiletries bag (useful when you have no idea what to expect). I was about to leave the room when I felt Andreas’s annoyance start to seep into my mind. What? I demanded slightly annoyed in return.

Aren’t you forgetting something little one? he asked smoothly.

Let’s see, clothes...contact case...solution...tooth brush...pillow...no...Wait a second! I turned back quickly and ran over to my desk where the seven Carpathian related novels I owned sat. Sorry Andreas, I can be kind of spacey.

Of course you are forgiven my beloved, he assured me. I looked between the seven novels and my pillowcase and sighed. Joyful. I grabbed my pillowcase in one hand and held the seven novels under the other arm and began dragging the pillowcase down to the parlor. The hard part was maneuvering the stairs. That part took an effort. Luckily I was only on the second floor and not on the third floor or worse...the basement. As soon as I was into the hall in front of the parlor, Andreas was at my side taking my pillowcase from me.

“Are you ready little one?” Andreas asked as he entwined his fingers with mine. It was such a simple and innocent movement, but it all screamed: she’s mine!

“Um...sure,” I said trying really hard not to blush. I was failing.

Andreas chuckled softly and whispered in my ear, “That is very becoming of you bellezza scura.

“I have no idea what that means, but it sounds really nice. I’m not way off base with that one, am I?” I asked as we started walking.

“Never fear mon seul, I would never say anything horrid about you. There is nothing wrong with you...except for your defiance mayhap.”

I just stuck my tongue out at him earning me another soft chuckle. As soon as we got outside of the dorms I stopped dead at the sight of a black stretch limo. The driver was a young man of probably average height with short dark hair that was hidden almost entirely under his black chauffeur’s cap and dressed in a tailored suit. “Whoa...is that...?”

“Of course it is mine,” Andreas said. “I called Antonio to come and pick us up because I did not know how you would feel about flying and we have your things to carry as well.”

“Oh...yeah...” I said vaguely as I stared at the limo.

Andreas just chuckled again and propelled me forward with a hand in the small of my back. Even through the sweatshirt, I could fell the firm and gentle touch that was igniting heat. It made me nervous and excited. I wasn’t so sure this was a good idea anymore. “Good evening Mr. Dalca, miss,” Antonio said lifting his hat a little in salute before he opened the limo’s door for us.

“Good evening Antonio,” Andreas said with a fond smile. Antonio took the seven novels from me and Andreas helped me into the limo. “Put these in the back,” Andreas ordered handing the pillowcase to Antonio and following me into the stretch limo. I probably looked really silly because I was very excited at the prospect of being in this limo. I had never before been in one and it was very thrilling. Andreas chuckled softly as he watched me with warm eyes.

“Don’t laugh at me,” I scolded him. “I’ve never been in a limo before, this a very big deal for me.”

“Of course little one,” Andreas said bowing his head. “Forgive me. I did not mean to mock you.” He meant it of course, but there was still amusement dancing merrily in his eyes.

I stuck my tongue out at him again and sat in one of the side seats where I could just look at him. I hadn’t done it before. His hair was black and cut short framing a strong, elegant face. This man was worthy of a da Vinci painting or a Byron poem or maybe one of Shakespeare’s sonnets. Why was I with him again? This man was far too beautiful for me. His dark eyes watched my ever move with desire, adoration, and complete wonder. It was almost the same exact look I knew would be in my eyes. Fate must be playing some kind of trick. I decided. There was no way I could be this lucky. In all actuality, I would have considered myself for any guy to even like me...let alone for me to be the lifemate of a Carpathian male like this one.

“Never think ill of yourself meine Seele,” Andreas rebuked me sharply. I had forgotten he was still merged with my mind. “You are beauty beyond any. You are the most glorious soul that there is. If anyone is the lucky one or the unworthy one, it is I. If fate is tricking anyone, it is me. I am darkness. If you know we Carpathians like you say you do, then you know how truly wrong we males are.”

“It’s not your fault that you lose your emotions and the ability to see color,” I said frowning. “How could anyone blame you for what you can’t control?”

“You do us too great an honor Layla. Besides, I know now that if I had not lost these things, I may not have ever found you. That would be a true curse.”

“I’m not that special,” I assured him blushing again.

“That is where you are wrong bellezza scura. You are special. You are one of a kind. You are my other half. You are the only one in the whole of time and space who could ever allow me to see color or feel. Never count yourself short...I will not stand for it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, re-reading these to make sure their edited makes me ridiculously happy for some reason.

Comments? Subscriptions? BOTH?!