Sequel: Temporary Life
Status: Done! :) Read sequel!

Temporary Home

Chapter 2

When everything was packed, which wasn't much, I carried my duffel bag downstairs. As I reached the bottom of the steps, Ky came running up to me and held onto my leg.

"Where are you going?!" He asked, looking up at me with those big, innocent eyes. It broke my heart.

I knelt down to his level and rubbed his back. "I have to go for away for a little while, Sweetie," I said in a soft voice.

"They not going to hurt you again, are they?" He asked sadly. I felt the familiar stinging in the back of my eyes, but I told myself I was going to be strong for him.

"I hope not, baby," I whispered, pulling him into a tight hug. "I promise I'll come and visit whenever I can."

He just nodded and went over to Shelly. I stood up and walked over to Jeff. We stared at each other for the longest time. We both hated good-byes. We always said we wouldn't say good-bye, just see you later. It was easier, and that way, we knew we had see each other again some day.

"You know where to find me if you need me for anything at all," he said, pulling me into a hug. I held onto him like he was my life support. He practically was for these last few years. "I love you," he said, pulling away and kissing my forehead.

"I love you, too." He was like my big brother.

I didn't want to leave him. He was part of my comfort zone. Without looking back, and before I could have a break down, I grabbed my bag and walked out the front door. I took a deep breath of fresh air, and waited for the guys to finish walking out.

"The car's over here," Matt said, taking my bag and walking over to a black Escalade.

I got in the back after Jimmy and Zacky. I pulled the hood of my sweatshirt up and plugged my headphones in as I sat there, looking out the window. Nothing was said the entire ride to Brian's house. When we pulled up, I got out and went for my bag, but Jimmy beat me to it. I gave him a confused look as he carried my bag for me, like Matt had done twenty minutes ago. I wasn't used to this.

"Welcome home," Brian said in a happy tone, as he opened the front door. I slowly walked through the door and followed him in. "There's the living room, down the hall is the kitchen. Around the hall is the door to the basement/music room. Upstairs are the bedrooms and game room." He started walking up the stairs and I followed. "The girls decorated your room since I had no idea how to," he said, opening the door.

It was an average room. Not too plain, but not too fancy. I took my bag from Jimmy, quietly thanking him, and set it on the bed.

"Well, make yourself at home. We'll be downstairs if you need us," Brian said, as they left the room. This was certainly going to be interesting.

After I finished unpacking, I laid down on the bed and plugged my iPod in. Soon, I was drifting off to sleep.

It seemed like only moments later, I was being woken up.

"Hey, dinners ready. The girls are here too and want to meet you," Brian said, gently shaking me.

"Okay," I mumbled, slowly getting up.

My back and knee were hurting even more now. It felt like I could barely move. As I painfully made my way downstairs and into the kitchen I heard everyone caring on their own conversations.

"There she is!" Jimmy said enthusiastically.

"Who gave him sugar?" I asked as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.

"He got into it himself," The petite woman next to him said, rolling her eyes and smiling. "I'm Leanna, you must be Kelsi." I just nodded and gave a small smile. "That's Val, Lacey, Gena, and Michelle," she said, pointing to all of the girls.

"Hey!" They all were smiling and seemed happy to see me. Why? I have no idea.

"So, are you hungry?" Val asked, walking over to the stove where they were cooking dinner I assumed.

"Not really, thanks though." Everyone gave me strange looks. "What?" I asked, feeling uneasy.

"Why aren't you hungry? You've been asleep for at least four hours, and haven't eaten all day," Brian pointed out.

I shrugged. "I'm just not feeling too great."

"Do you have a fever?" Val asked, concerned. She must be the motherly figure in the group.

I shook my head. "My stomach just doesn't feel like cooperating today."

"Alright... Just help yourself to anything if you do get hungry," she smiled.

"So, Kels, feel like sharing some things about yourself?" Zacky asked. "You didn't really talk on the way here."

"There's not much to say," I said, crossing my arms and looking at the floor.

"What do you like doing? Play any instruments?" Jimmy asked, trying to keep me talking.

"Um, yeah. Violin, piano, and some guitar."

"So you did take after your dad," Matt said, smiling.

I looked at him, slightly glaring. "No, I didn't." It came out harsher than I intended, but I was not going to be compared to him.

"What's so bad about taking after me?" Brian asked, understandably defensive.

"Why would I be prideful in taking after you?" I shot back.

"Look, I don't know why you have a sudden attitude with me, but you need to knock it off. You are under my roof now, and I will not tolerate that." He tried keeping a calm and steady tone, but I knew he was slowly losing patience.

"Yeah, unwillingly under your roof," I growled.

"What the hell did your mother tell you that makes you think you can treat me this way?!"

Ah, there's the anger. I was determined to stand my ground and fight back.

"She told me that you thought I was a mistake and didn't want me! She said that you left when she told you she was pregnant with me! She blamed me for losing you every single day! That's what she told me!" I felt my eyes starting to tear up, and I didn't know why. I'd only met this man a few hours ago and he‘s already making me face my emotions. Everything was just so overwhelming.

Everyone stood in shock, looking at me. "I would never say that about you, Kels," he said in a strained voice.

"How do I know that? You weren't there, Brian! You've been out of my life for seventeen God damn years! Why should I believe you?!" My body was starting to shake. That only meant one thing.

"She lied to you, Kels! I just found out about you! I swear! Ask everyone in this room who has been a part of my life for almost twenty years!"

I stepped back a little. It was an instinct. Jimmy caught sight of this and put a hand on Brian's shoulder.

"Take a breath, guys and just calm down," he said softly.

"Kelsi, why are your hands shaking so badly?" Lacey suddenly asked.

"It's nothing," I mumbled, turning around and walking out of the kitchen.

"Don't walk away! We aren't done here!" Brian yelled after me.

"No, I think we are!" I yelled back with all of my courage.

I ran out the front door and just kept running, until I got to the beach. I dropped to my knees in the sand and started balling. I hated this! I wanted Jeff. He always knew the right things to say.

Suddenly, my breathing was becoming shallow, and my chest was getting heavy. Everything was slowly turning dark, until it was black.
♠ ♠ ♠
hmmm... wonder what's up?