‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?

Finally after an hour delay they arrived at Nick's house with the full music room.

"I can't believe we got stuck in an elevator!" Melody said flinging her arms up to emphasize her disbelief.

"It was defiantly unexpected." Nick agreed.

"Yeah. So crazy." Melody said as she watched Nick pick out a guitar.

"Alright let's get started." He said plugging his electric guitar in. "What do you want to work on first?"

"Who I Am, there is some fine tuning I want to do."

Nick started to strum his guitar warming up then he played the notes to the beginning of the song. He sang the first few lines then Melody stopped him.

"Go over that first line again." Melody instructed.

Nick did as he was told. Melody wrote something done on the sheet music in her hands. Nick replayed it until Melody held up her hand.

"OK. Try this." Melody showed Nick the revised version.

They did this for four songs until they were both happy with the songs. Then they worked on a fresh song, each song usually only had a few lines with a simple guitar part but once Melody was done with them they were full length full band songs. Nick loved writing again it felt great to get his thoughts out and onto a piece of paper.

After three hours of nonstop song writing Melody and Nick had the album finished. Now it was up to Nick and his band to record the songs. If things went according to plan the first demo of Nick Jonas and The Administration's first CD would be done in two weeks tops.

"This is great." Nick said as the feeling of actually getting something accomplished washed over him. "I can't believe we finished."

"I know this has been one hell of a day." Melody said. She was picking up the room; there was paper balls thrown around and other garbage. "And now we can take our time with finishing the other songs."

"Yeah you get a little break while I have to spend hours in the recording studio." Nick complained.

"I'll be there with you." Melody said. "I have to make sure the song comes out perfect."

"Right. Don't lie you just want to be with me." Nick said joking.

"Ha keep telling yourself that, Jonas." Melody responded.

Nick just smiled and put away his guitar and note book. "You should sing me one of your songs." He suggested.

"Why?" Melody asked.

"Because it gives us something to do."

"OK." Melody replied. She walked over to the piano in a corner of the room. It looked a lot like the piano she used to play on in New York.

Nick sat on the ground next to the piano and leaned back. He looked up at Melody, the light hit her perfectly making it seem like she had a halo.

Melody ran her hands across the keys first to warm up. Then positioned her hands over the right keys.

"Do you want to hear a song I've been working on? Maybe you could help me."

"Sure." Nick said standing to take a seat next to Melody on the piano bench. He kept a steady watch on both Melody and her fingers as they danced across the keys. "Go for it."

Melody took a deep breathe then played the song that always made her emotional to the point where she couldn't finish the song.

She played the opening of the song setting the stage for the emotion packed song. "Piercing words
Eyes are red
Watched the tale lights in the rain
Empty heart filled with regret
I know we were both to blame
And I'm not sorry that it’s over
Or for the way we let it end
So I said all I had to say
In letters that I threw away

You should know please believe me
I've picked up the phone
A thousand times
And tried to dial your number
But it’s been so long
It’s never easy
It’s like trying to spin the world the other way
What can I say?"

Melody stopped abruptly as the emotions swelled inside of her. She took another deep breathe to calm herself down. Nick watched Melody as she sang and saw the pain behind the words.

"That's all I have." Melody mumbled.

Nick took over on the piano where the song ended. "How did it come to this?
I think about you all the time
Its no excuse but I wish
That I'd never made you cry
I'm not sorry that it’s over
Or for the way we let it end
I couldn't find the words to say."

Nick paused but he continued to play the song on the piano. He looked at Melody and saw that her eyes were closed. Then she sang the next line.

"And you should know
Please believe me
I've picked up the phone
A thousand times
And tried to dial your number
But it’s been so long
It’s never easy
It’s like trying to spin the world the other way
What can I say?"

"What can I say?" Nick sang softly after Melody.

"What can I say?"

"What can I say?"

Nick continued with the song. "I hate to think
All you had of me."

"I said all I had to say." Melody harmonized.

"Is a memory I left you
Space between what was meant to be."

"In letters that I threw away."

"And the mess this turned into."

Melody picked up the chorus. "And you should know
Please believe me
I've picked up the phone a thousand times
And tried to dial your number."

They sang the rest of the song in unison.

"And it’s been so long
It’s never easy
It’s like trying to spin the world the other way."

"It’s like trying to spin the world the other way." Nick sang by himself.

"What can I say?
What can say?" Melody sang her voice fading with the end of the notes Nick played.

She realized she was crying when a tear fell onto her hand. She glanced at Nick and saw that he was wiping his eyes trying to do it inconspicuous. Melody laughed as she tried to stop her tears.

"Are we really crying?" She asked looking back at Nick.

He blushed a deep red and nodded his head. "Looks like it. But the best songs are supposed to make you cry, right?"

"Right." Melody agreed.

In that moment Melody's resentment and anger she felt towards Nick left her. She wasn't going to be immature about their relationship any longer, and she hoped he wouldn't either. Nick and Melody sat at the piano both lost in their own thoughts about the other.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not the longest chapter but I hope you all like it! To get the full effect of this chapter, all of the emotions, you should listen to What Can I Say? its a great song.

: ) Comments please!