‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

These Four Walls

"And these four walls came down around us, must have been something sent me out of my head, with the words so radical and not what I meant, now I wait for a break in the silence 'cause its all that you left, just me and these four walls again, yeah its difficult watching us fade, knowing its all my fault my mistake, yeah and its difficult letting you down, knowing its all my fault you're not around."- Miley Cyrus

Nick woke up an hour later looking a little more sober. He slumped into the living room and clumsily sat on the floor next to Melody's chair. Joe only glanced briefly at his younger brother.

"If your hungry, Nick, there's some left overs in the fridge." Karen said kindly.

"No thanks." Nick said quietly.

"We're going to bed." Joe said to no one in particular.

"Its eight." Karen said confused.

"We can watch another movie." Joe said impatiently.

"Oh, alright." Karen said still confused. "Goodnight then."

"Goodnight." Nick and Melody said in unison.

Joe ushered Karen out of the room as quickly as he could. Nick watched them leave an amused smirk on his face.

"They're gonna fuck." He said smugly.

"I don't think that's any of our business." Melody scolded.

Nick continued to smirk as he responded. "Where'd your sense of humor go?"

"No where." Melody snapped.

Nick raised an eyebrow at the beautiful women next to him. "Something wrong?"

"No." Melody said with a sigh. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing. I'm just peachy."

"Why'd you start drinking tonight?" Melody asked cutting right to the point.

Nick stood up and walked back to his room. If they were going to have this conversation he wanted it to happen in the privacy of his own room.

"Well?" Melody asked as she entered the room.

"I was feeling a little down." Nick said off handed.

Melody looked at Nick in disgust. "How can you say it like that?"

"Like what?" Nick asked. He sat down on his bed and folded his arms over his chest.

"Like its no big deal."

Nick shrugged and looked into Melody's deep green eyes. "Because to me its not a big deal. This is an everyday occurrence for me."

Melody tried to comprehend what Nick must have been feeling to drive himself to do this. She moved to sit next to Nick on his bed and took his hand in hers.

"Why did you send that text?" She asked quietly.

"Its not fair to you to be around me. I'm not good enough for you." Nick revealed.

"Why do you keep thinking that?" Melody asked frustrated.

"Because its true!" Nick yelled. "I treat you like shit!"

"Not all of the time." Melody said shaking her head. "I know the real you and if you could just except my help -"

"No. I tried. I really did but until I'm ready to quit nothing is going to change me."

"Why don't you want to change?"

"I know it may not seem like it but I'm happy just the way I am." Nick was lying through his teeth at this point. "So there's no point in trying anymore."

Melody took a step towards Nick. "I know you don't mean that."

"Will you stop acting like you know me." Nick said irritated. "You didn't know me three years ago and you defiantly don't know me now."

"I guess your right." Melody said after a few seconds of silence. "Because the Nick I thought I knew wouldn't treat the girl he supposedly loved this way."

"You haven't figured that out yet?" Nick asked laughing without any humor. "I only said that because I wanted to sleep with you."

Melody took a step back. "Stop." She said, her eyes were closed to keep the tears, that so desperately wanted to fall, back.

"What? Don't like hearing the truth?" Nick asked. His heart was breaking but he had to get her away from him.

"I have to go." Melody suddenly said as she quickly turned toward the door. The tears had finally broke the barrier. She opened the door and slammed it shut once she cleared the threshold.

Nick looked at the door in shock his plan worked. He hoped she would forgive him one day when she learned the truth. He picked up the half drunk bottle next to his bed and took a long drink of it. The liquid burned his throat, just the way he liked it.

He tried in vain to drink enough to forget the look on Melody's face as she ran away from him. It was killing him already, loosing her, he could feel it in every part of his body. All that he was left with was the bottle in his hand and the memories she left him with.

**

Melody sped home, she had to constantly wipe her cheeks because of her tears. This wasn't what she had expected when she went over to Nick's house; she thought they would finally be together.

Her cell phone rang loudly from inside her jeans pocket. She maneuvered it out of her pocket, her heat was racing hoping it was Nick. It felt like a punch to the gut when she saw who it was.

"Hi Brad." She said trying to compose her voice.

"Hey, I was just wondering what you're up to." He sounded worried.

"I'm on my way home." Melody replied trying to hide the pain in her voice. "We can talk then."

She knew she would have to make the dreaded call to the Jonas' telling them she quit. That phone call would hurt her to make but there was nothing else she could do. When she finally made it home she went straight to her room and she wasn't surprised to see Brad waiting for her.

She did something she rarely did, she broke down and told Brad everything. He didn't say anything as she talked, he was just there to listen, and when she needed it a shoulder to cry on.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry its been so long! I really hope you like this one! I know its all mainly dialog but I couldn't think of anything else for this important moment! I will hopefully have the next one up soon!
: )