‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

Fix A Heart

“It’s probably what’s best for you, I only want the best for you, and if I’m not the best, then you’re stuck. I try to sever ties and I end up with wounds to bind like you’re pouring salt in my cuts, and I just ran out of Band-Aids. I don’t even know where to start. ‘Cause you can bandage the damage, you never really can fix a heart. Even though I know what’s wrong, how could I be so sure? If you never say what you feel, feel. I must have held your hand so tight, you didn’t have the will to fight, I guess you need more time to heal.” - Demi Lovato

Nick sat with his back against his wall watching the party raging on before him. When Drew first decided it was time for Nick to get out of his room he had told Nick to come out with them but when that didn’t happen he opted for throwing a party at Nick’s house. His plan worked well enough, Nick was out of his room but he wasn’t socializing.

For days Nick stayed in his room not eating anything but drinking and writing music. For once his heart break was making him write full songs and they just wouldn’t stop coming. Most would never be heard by anyone else, but it gave him satisfaction to write his thoughts and feelings out. His family was unaware of what happened with Melody’s injuries and what had happened when he went to her house to beg her to take him back. As far as they knew Melody had been attacked by a thief and was still not talking to Nick from months ago. Joe was the only one to suspect something more but with his and Karen’s wedding rapidly approaching there was little he could do.

“What are you doing over here by yourself?”

Nick looked at the brunette standing next to him, her eyes were glassy and her breathe stank of alcohol, she wore practically nothing over her small body. Nick looked her up and down once before deciding she was his girl of the night. The only time he could forget about Melody was when he was with another girl alone in his room.

“Just waiting for a pretty girl to come talk to me,” He said with a smirk. “And it looks like it worked.”

The girl smiled at Nick and leaned in closer to him. It didn’t take long for the two to stumble into Nick’s dark room. Knowing the drill the girl worked on Nick’s belt while he lay back in bed. He kept his promise and never had sex with these girls; he had always hoped he was waiting for Melody.

“See you later.” The brunette, Nick had failed to remember her name, said as she walked out of Nick’s door.

Nick just rolled his eyes and pulled his pants back on before walking out of his room. Drew gave him a smile as he walked past Nick. He knew what had just happened in Nick’s room but didn’t want to tease Nick about it until later.

“Hey man.” Mike said handing Nick a cold beer. “Having fun?”

“I guess.” Nick said before drinking most of his beer at once.

“Slow down.” Mike chuckled as he watched his friend.

Nick didn’t listen to his friend at all that night, and by the end of the party Nick was so drunk he could barely stand. Eventually the party faded leaving Drew and Mike with Nick. They passed out on whatever piece of furniture they could find.

******

Melody sat on the bench in front of her piano trying to play it with one hand. Letting out a frustrated sigh she let her hand fall from the keys. She glanced across the room where Brad was watching her with a smile on his face.

“You’ll be able to play soon, baby.” He said noticing her stare.

“I hate not being able to play though.” Melody said sighing again.

Brad’s smile fell and he glared at Melody. She knew that look and quickly averted her stare. She heard him get up from the couch and walk towards her.

“What are you saying?” He asked calmly.

Melody wasn’t fooled by his controlled composure.

“Nothing.” She said smiling up at Brad as he stood menacingly behind her.

“You know I didn’t mean to hurt you, but you just make me so mad sometimes. Maybe if you were a better person it wouldn’t happen again.”

Melody looked away from Brad and focused on the black and white keys in front of her. Brad grabbed a hold of her long dark hair and pulled her towards him.

“Just remember without me you have no one.” He whispered into her ear.

Without another word he left Melody alone in her apartment. She trembled as the memory of his fist connecting with her body surfaced. Brad hadn’t hurt Melody since she got out of the hospital but he always made sure to remind her about what he could do. Melody picked up her phone from where it sat on the piano and scrolled down to a familiar name. She never called Nick but just seeing his name gave her comfort. Using only one hand Melody began playing a familiar tone.

It wasn’t an easy song to play with one hand but it was the only song she didn’t care about getting perfect. The person who wrote it never would have wanted her to try to make it perfect, the song wasn’t about that. As her hands danced across the black keys her eyes shut as she imagined his beautiful voice singing. It was liked she was back on the Broadway stage with him again while he showed her the song. Melody stopped abruptly her eyes snapping open. Without giving it another thought Melody picked up her phone and dialed that familiar number.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well since the last update got no comments I'm going to assume you guys didn't like it. I hope you guys like this one enough to comment, if not the next one won't be posted. I hate do that to you guys but the comments do make me want to write.
Anyway I hope you guys like this one!
Please comment!! I want to know if you're liking the story so far!