‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

Have Gun, Will Travel

"I was once a young boy never fled from home, now I’ve lost my name and misplaced my home. I retreat back to places where I am someone they love. Bright lights serving justice up from above. Everybody thinks they know my name and where I’ve been, I’ve got news for you that’ll turn your head. I’m not exactly who you think that I’ve been all along. Shut your fuckin’ mouth and sing my song. I always knew I would be the one to make you believe.” ` The Audition

It took two weeks for Nick to be back to normal. He was still too depressed to go home but the withdrawal symptoms stopped. Miley had stayed through it all, even when Nick had crazy mood swings. If it wasn’t for Miley, Nick knew he would have given up and drank again. His family was shocked when they received a call from Miley telling them how Nick was doing. They had thought Nick was done with Miley completely after what she had done to him.

“Thank you for being here Miley.” Nick said the day before Miley was going back to California. “I couldn’t have done this without you.”

“Of course Nick.” Miley said smiling softly at him.

“I know it wasn’t easy taking care of me, but you’re the only one how could have dealt with me being an asshole.” Nick said laughing.

“Well I was there for how many years of your diabetes mood swings, so I’m used to it.” Miley said rolling her eyes. “I’m glad I could help. I mean, I was part of the reason you started drinking.”

Nick looked down at his hands that were clenched into a fist. He had avoided having to talk about everything that happened between them in the past for two weeks. Now it was time to bring it all up.

“Why did you do it?” Nick asked quietly.

Miley sighed and took Nick’s hand and lead him to sit down across from each other at the kitchen table. Nick watched as Miley looked down at her hands and thought about what to say next. He waited patiently for her to say what he had wanted to hear for years.

“I think I was scared.” Miley said thinking back on the day she broke Nick’s heart. “I was sixteen and had only really dated one person. I needed to find myself and date other people.”

“But did you have to do it that way? You couldn’t tell me all of that instead of cheating on me?” Nick asked all the pain he had felt when he had found Miley with someone else coming back. “I would have understood.”

Miley sighed and looked at Nick her eyes sad. “I was stupid to do that to you. I am so sorry Nicky. If I could I would go back and do it differently.”

Nick accepted the hug Miley gave him as she repeated how sorry she was for hurting him. Nick didn’t have the energy to talk about it anymore, it was years ago and didn’t need to be brought up anymore. The pain was easy to forget now that he found someone else he wanted to be with.

“It’s ok now, Miley, I’ve moved on.” Nick said thinking about Melody once again.

When Miley left the next day Nick was alone again but this time he was ok with it. He needed a few more days to himself to figure out what he wanted with he’s life. He had to figure it out by the end of the week when Joe was having his wedding’s rehearsal dinner. Every time he pictured his future Melody was in it. He couldn’t have one thought without her in it. Nick just couldn’t forget her and even thought he had told he was moving on he knew if she wanted to give them a chance together he would say yes. She was everything he wanted in a women and so much more. With this in mind Nick made the arrangements to go back to California at the end of the week.

**

“He did say he was coming right?” Joe asked his mom as he looked around the hall where he was going to be married in a few short days.

“Don’t worry, he’ll be here.” Denise said smiling at her son.

Everyone in the Jonas family was on edge wondering if Nick would actually come to his brother’s wedding rehearsal. While Joe and Karen talked with their wedding planner Denise took the time to call Nick.

“Hey mom.”

Denise couldn’t help but let out the breath she had been holding waiting for her son to pick up the phone. She was so used to him ignoring her calls.

“Nicholas, how are you?” She asked walking out into the silent hallway.

“I’m fine.” Nick answered.

Denise was about to answer when she saw a familiar curly haired man walking towards her. She quickly hung up the phone and walked towards her son. Nick smiled as he let his mom hug him tightly.

“Come on Joe has been waiting for you.” Denise said pulling away from their hug.

She looked at her son and saw for the first in years she saw her son the way he used to be. He looked healthy and happy. Her prayers had been answered her son was back. When Denise came back into the room with holding Nick’s hand Joe was the first to see them. He smiled wide before running to his mom and brother. He enveloped his younger brother in a bear hug.

“I’m so glad you’re here.” Joe said as he pulled away from him. “You look great.”

“Thanks, bro.” Nick said shaking his head.

The rest of the family took a moment to hug Nick before they officially start the rehearsal. Nick was happy to be a part of his brother’s wedding and be one of his best men.

**

The day of the wedding was finally upon the Jonas family. Nick sat with his brothers in the room they were to stay in until it was time for the wedding. Joe was for once silent as he sat next his Nick and their dad.

“Nervous?” Nick asked.

“I am incredibly nervous.” Joe replied looking at his younger brother. “I’m glad you’re here little brother.”

“Me too.”

With twenty minutes before the start of the ceremony Nick paced the room he had been stuck in for hours in his tux. All of the men were ready and in their tuxes waiting impatiently.

“Nicholas, I need to talk to you.”

Nick looked up to as he heard his father say his name. I was the first time Nick had heard his father speak to him since their fight almost a year before this moment.
Nick followed his father into a separate room away from everyone else. Nick waited for his father to speak first.

“I’m sorry.”

Nick had never expected to hear this from his father. In all the time they had spent angry at each other Nick never thought his father would apologize.

“I should have been there for you.”

“It wouldn’t have made a difference. I had to want to get help.” Nick said quietly. “I’m sorry to, dad, I was horrible to you, but I don’t want to think about what happened in the past anymore. I just want to move forward.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know the song doesn't fit with the chapter but it does kind of fit Nick and I couldn't find any other songs that went with the cahpter since nothing big happened. Well that will be the end of Miley. As of now anyway. Well sorry for the wait, I had some lack of motivation to write. I would like some more comments!! The next chapter is going to be very important and you all might get what you've been waiting for ;).
So please go comment!!!

p.s. Any Harry Potter fans out there?! If so please go read my new story Mercy !!! : )