I'll Be Mellow and I'll Be Your Muse

Shop Talk: Mellow

I directed her to the shop. For one reason or another she could never remember the way to anything related to the 'Fold. She revved the engine for our ’70 Challenger at the bay doors. Two seconds. It took two seconds for our car to be surrounded. They all looked like civvies, but I could guarantee that at least one of them was packing a Tommy. Both car doors opened and we slowly stepped out.

"Names?"

"Melodic."

"Music." The guy who spoke looked between us.

"MeloMuse? You two are supposed to be out of town."

"We came back," I said in a 'duh' tone. Bee clinched her jaw. She was right when she told me I don't know how to shut up. But my smart-ass, yet truthful, comments have saved our asses a time or two. People on the team have never accused me of lying. "Excuse me sir, but we just wanted to let Champaign know we're back. We can call if this is a bad time." I flutted my eyelashes a bit.

He rolled his eyes, "No reason to be a smart-ass Mellow." Danny cleared us, opening the door.

"Thanks love." I patted his head as we walk by-- to which he growled. "Feisty." Again, he rolled his eyes at me.

"It still amazes me how much shit you get away with. If anyone else had spoken to a higher rank like that they'd be off the team." Off the team or dead. It all depended on how the higher ranking person felt.

"I'm just lovable." I smiled childishly at her. I could tell she was fighting the urge to roll her eyes and smack me. Her hand had that familiar twitch. I opened my mouth to make another comment, just to see how far I could push her right now, but I never got the chance.

"My girls! I've missed you around here." Champ yelled across the room. He refused to tell us how he knew when we entered a room. It was a creepy talent that sometimes made the hair on the back of my neck and arms stand on end. Exchanging a look, we crossed the hanger.

"Hey-" I started.

"Champagne." Bee finished my sentence. For some reason, the team thinks we're sister, so we've gotten good at playing the part. "We've missed you too." He hugged each of us. Bee hopped up on the work bench. "Any races for us? I'm itchin to get behind the wheel."

"Such vivacity," Champ purred as he massaged her thigh. Barely hiding her grimace, she looked away. "You two have to do some races. We are looking at getting a couple cars from Fields. I expect you two to get us those slips." He sauntered around the work bench and dug out a hot pink binder. If he didn't hit on us all the time, I would think he's gay. "Here are the stats on their cars and drivers. Normally we wouldn't pit our rookie team against a higher rank, but the bosses have been watching you and think it's time to advance you. This is a test." The way he leaned over the work bench made me re-think my notions of his sexuality. Maybe he’s open to all forms of sex. Regardless of who he would be fucking. Wouldn’t surprise me.

I slid the binder to me. Myrrhis and Frankincense: used to race them (and win) all the time. Mantis and Widow, freaks of nature known for killing those they race. After some quick calculations, I looked over the cars to confirm my ideas. Myrrh and Frankie haven't changed their basic set up. "We can race Myrrh and Frankie in two days."

"Why two days?"

"I need time to put their stats in the comp. If I'm right, I built some of the defense mechanisms in their car."

Champaign's eyes bulged, "You know how to build defenses into a car? We've raced them tons of times and haven't been able to hack the dash codes of their systems. Why didn't you say anything sooner?!"

"I'm a rook navigator. I like being in the car, not under them." A glint passed through Champs’ eyes. I swear. His sex drive controlled him.

"Oh Champ, relax,” Bee smirked. ”We can beat them no problem. Mellow, who's the other team?"

"Manny and Wids."

"Mantis and Widow?! Damn it. They nearly rear ended us off the damn road last time!"

"Yes. Give me two weeks. They race a different stock. I've never seen these configurations on a car."

Champaign nodded. "I have to inform the superiors that our rookie navigator has some talents."

"Love, I have more talents than you can think of." I smirked at him. He moaned as he walked to the stairs. Bee poked me in the side, telling me to focus on the task at hand. I withheld my perverted comment, looking back down at the pictures of Manny and Wids. We have to kill them after the race. Otherwise, they'll kill us. This race was a test in more ways than one. First, they never lose; second, they rarely let anyone live. If I recall correctly, only one person lived- they killed his navigator. And he is now Manny's human pet. Sevenfold was testing us all right. Testing to see if we had the balls to do their dirty work.

"You don't have to race them. The bosses are assigning you another car to win." No! This is the break we need in the case. Bee breathed a sigh of relief.

"Champ, tell them thanks for the offer, but we're taking this race. " Defiantly, I met his gaze directly. I'm either going to die or get rewarded. On this team, looking anyone of higher status dead in the eye is a death-wish. I've seen people shot in the head outright for it.

"Mel, we can't afford to lose you or Muse."

Guess it's the reward. Smirking, I kissed his cheek. "You won't," I whispered in his ear. With a wink, I grabbed the binder and headed back to our car. Bee ran after me. "Music, I think it's time to modify our car."