‹ Prequel: Guilty Pleasures
Status: Complete

An Old Beginning

Chapter 27

“So what did you tell him?” Jo asked as Naomi buttoned the back of the long white dress.

“I didn’t tell him anything,” Naomi replied. “What was I supposed to tell him?”

“Oh I don’t know,” Jo said, looking at her friend in the mirror as she adjusted the veil. “Maybe…’I’ve been in love with you since I was seventeen, and it’s time we try and make it work since we share a son and everything.’”

“It’s not that easy, Jojo,” Naomi murmured, not making eye contact with her friend as Jo turned around.

“It’s not supposed to be easy,” Jo said in a gentle tone. “It’s supposed to be real. No one ever said that life was easy. You have to fight for what you want.”

“But is he what I want?” Naomi asked skeptically. “I was able to live without him for two years. I was able to move on…somewhat.”

“Somewhat,” Jo replied. “That’s the key word. You never truly moved on, and Gerard never did. Shouldn’t that tell you how he feels for you?”

“So, you’re telling me that he loves me more because I started dating someone and he never did?”

“No,” Jo said, shaking her head. “I think it allowed you to really grow up and decide who you want. Can you imagine your life without Gerard in it?”

Naomi looked into the distance, a faraway look in her eyes. “What if we try and make it work and we still can’t?” she asked softly. “I can’t risk Mikey getting hurt, and the older he gets, the more difficult everything becomes.”

“Do you want to move to Chicago?”

“I don’t know,” Naomi said with a sigh as she dropped into a nearby chair, careful not to wrinkle her dress. “It’s a great opportunity and it’s something I never expected. I would be stupid not to take it, but…”

“But?” Jo prompted.

“Would I be stupid to leave behind the father of my child?”

“I don’t know what you want me to tell you, Nae,” she replied in a gentle tone. “The way I look at it, you have a great opportunity waiting for you, whichever decision you make.” Jo turned back to the mirror, critiquing her reflection. “Would you mind going to check on Pete? Making sure he hasn’t run away or anything.”

Naomi laughed as she stood up. “Yeah, I’ll see you in a few minutes.”

--------------
Credit to those who comment =) xx