‹ Prequel: Guilty Pleasures
Status: Complete

An Old Beginning

Chapter 29

*Read Chapter 28 first. I have updated more than once today.

-------

Gerard sat at one of the reception tables, staring at the dance floor as Pete spun Naomi around. It was nice to see her be happy, free from any worries or responsibilities for a few precious minutes.

“She’s happiest when she’s here.”

Gerard turned to see Jo standing behind him, surprised that she was practically reading his thoughts. “Mrs. Carter,” he said with a smile, standing up to leave a chaste kiss on her cheek. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks,” Jo said, her smile broadening when she saw her husband dip her best friend as they both giggled. “Are you going to fight for her?”

Gerard followed her gaze. “Considering the man she’s dancing with is a very recent newlywed, I don’t think he poses much of a threat,” he said with a smile.

“You know what I mean,” she said seriously.

“I don’t know what to do,” Gerard murmured, his eyes never leaving thegirl woman on the dance floor.

“She needs a reason to stay,” Jo said softly.

Gerard watched the couple dancing, a sad expression on his handsome face. “I can’t give her one.”

Jo gently took his arm, turning him to see Michael giggling and running around Donna's chair. “You already have…you both just have to see it at the same time.”

Gerard smiled, watching his son’s antics. “Now, go cut in,” Jo said, giving him a little shove.

“She’s having fun, I can’t ruin that.”

“Fine,” Jo said with a smile, picking up her dress and walking out onto the dance floor. “I’ll do it.”

Gerard shook his head with a smile as Jo mockingly shoved Naomi away, all of them laughing. The first few notes of a slower song began, and Gerard watched as Jo got an almost whimsical look on her face, her eyes slowly scanning the area.

Here goes nothing

-----------

Another update? I think so too =D