Status: Complete.

You Leave Me Breathless

Settle

[Trinity]

It was June, just under 3 years after we’d left Maryland. I was finally 21 years old and Peyton would be in a month. We’d spent the last three years travelling the country like we’d told the Bensons we would. Yeah, we still kept in contact with them. Their last foster girl should be 16 now. Alexis, I think her name was. But anyway, moving on. Right now, I was driving our car, and Peyton was sleeping. We’d had to leave our last home in Charlotte, North Carolina, earlier this week due to a particularly nasty fight Peyton got into. Not that I cared much – it wasn’t really my kinda place. Too homesy.

Oops, just hit a hole in the road. Peyton groaned softly and opened her eyes. I smiled and rubbed her shoulder soothingly as she woke up properly, leaving her to gather her surroundings.

“Heyy, Trin, the fuel is getting low,” Peyton pointed out

I looked down, frowning. There were only a few miles left in it. Damn.

“Looks like we’re stopping in the next town then sis,” I smirked

“Can we...can we stop for more than a few weeks this time?” Peyton asked hesitantly

I glanced at her for a second, before returning my eyes to the road.

“Are you for real?” I asked simply

She nodded. I sighed.

“Alright, we’d better look for a flat to rent then. How much is left in my account?” I asked wearily

Yeah, we’d only gone into my account. We weren’t touching the $50,000 in Peyton’s account from the Bensons, as we decided it would be nice to have emergency back-up one day. Plus, we always instantly scored jobs in bars wherever we went, so it wasn’t like money wasn’t coming in.

“Um, the last time I looked it was $40,000. We’ll be fine for quite a while, don’t worry. And only a small flat – there’s only two of us,” Peyton smiled

“Duh!” I laughed, running a hand through my straight blonde hair

Then I saw a road sign. Welcome to Newark, New Jersey. Looks like we’ve got ourselves a new home.

“Tell me when you spot a gas station, aye?” I told my sister

She just nodded, exhausted from the 3 days of solid travelling we’d done from Charlotte, North Carolina. To be honest I was shattered as well, but she’d driven four days solid when we’d gone from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Charlotte, North Carolina to last month. After about another 10 minutes, we pulled into a gas station. Peyton got out and filled the tank, and then we both walked in the building to pay. And when I say walked, I meant strutted. We are the Hayes sisters, after all.

“Number 3,” I said to the cashier, flashing him a dazzling smile

Poor boy. Acne and glasses – he must think it’s his lucky day.

“That’ll b-be $56 exactly please ma’am,” the boy stuttered, pushing his glasses up his nose

I handed over the money, sending an amused look to my sister. She just chuckled.

“You don’t happen to know where the nearest property renting offices are, do you?” I said sweetly, twirling a strand of blonde hair round my finger

“Y-Yeah, actually. Um, my Uncle runs one down the road. Newark Apartments. I-If you’re going there n-now, I could call him and s-say you’re coming to make sure he’s free?” the boy asked

I was mildly impressed. For once. Peyton just laughed again.

“That would be perfect. Thank you,” I purred

He gulped loudly as I waved flirtily, heading out of the building and back to our baby. Peyton started laughing as soon as I shut my door, buckling the seatbelt.

“That was cruel,” Peyton scolded teasingly

“How? I didn’t squeeze cleavage, make-out with him, or give him the only free ride he’s ever going to get. I think I was pretty nice actually!” I protested, unable to stop a smile on my face

“Whatever ho. Let’s just go and find an apartment, yeaah?” Peyton sighed mockingly, rolling her eyes

I started the engine, blowing a kiss to acne-boy, before speeding out of the station and down the road. I hope there’s an apartment to suit us, coz all I really want to do is get changed and get a drink. A strong drink. A cigarette wouldn’t hurt either.

*

[3 hours later]

[Peyton]

Finally. We were unpacked. Our apartment was perfect – and a bit larger than we expected. Three bedrooms (two with double beds, one with twin beds), three bathrooms (each connected to a bedroom; mine and Trinity’s having a shower in), a good sized kitchen, two living areas (one with an eating table and plasma tv, one with a coffee table) and a door to a small balcony. And because of our persuasive talking, we had managed to make it quite cheap rent per month too.

It was perfect for us.

“Peyyyyyy! I want a driiiiink!” Trinity whined, leaning against the door to the spare room

We decided that when we go out, we were going to get ready in the spare room together. Might as well make use of the space, eh?

“Then let’s go!” I grinned, tossing my dark locks over my shoulder; they were straight tonight

Trinity clapped her hands together excitedly, and picked up her bag, shoving her cigarettes in. She was wearing a white roman-style dress, with silver studs round the middle, as well as silver studded heels, and bright red lipstick. She grimaced at my outfit and I just laughed. I was wearing a pink dress (top half light-pink, bottom half dark-pink), with silver heels and pale pink lipstick.

“What? I like the dress!” I grinned, grabbing my house keys and my phone, shoving them in my bag as we walked out of the apartment

“Mm, whatever Barbie,” Trinity grumbled, locking the front door, before shoving her keys in her bag

“I’ll buy the first two drink rounds if you stop complaining...” I trailed off

Trinity instantly smiled sweetly.

“Why didn’t you say so before! Now, let’s go! There’s a double vodka and coke calling my name,” Trinity trilled

I just laughed, linking arms with her. As soon as we got outside, Trinity lit up a cigarette. Her smoking habits have definitely gotten worse over the last three years. I know she would never admit it, but what Zack had done really hurt her. Every now and again I catch her looking at the necklace he bought her, and she’s always quiet for the rest of that day. Hopefully she’ll find someone to help her get over him here. I mean, not that I can talk. I’ve gone through more men than Trinity has, and that’s saying something. But what Alex did has made me stronger – I know never to make a mistake like him again.

Thank God, a bar. I think I need something a little stronger than vodka right now.

“Actually, make my drink a double JD and coke. I need something stronger,” Trinity said softly, breaking me out of my trance with a mirror to my thoughts

I squeezed her arm and nodded, walking into the bar.

*

[Trinity]

The bar wasn’t too crowded, just enough for us to stand out without looking like idiots. Peyton went straight to get drinks, not even having to flash her fake-ID. She probably had a seductive pout on her lips. That usually works.

“I’m gonna go find us somewhere to sit,” I called over my shoulder

Peyton just nodded, fishing in her purse for money. Swinging my hips as I walked towards empty tables, I couldn’t help but notice that a black-haired woman was looking uncomfortable sitting on a barstool, surrounded by three ugly looking guys, a bit too up close and personal. Being the nosy git that I am, I had to pretend to send a text on my phone, standing nearby to hear what was going on.

“Come on, you know you want it. We’ll show you a good time, a little waif like you,” one of the men drawled

Okay, eww.

“Leave me the fuck alone,” the woman said angrily, although her voice held a tremor of nerves

“Mm we like them feisty,” another one of the guys said, licking his lips

Fecking nasty!

“Back off!” the woman hissed

I lifted my eyes to see one of them place his hand heavily on her thigh. She looked really scared. I could have some fun with this. Slipping my phone in my bag, I walked over to them, clearing my throat. It was only now that I noticed she had a lot of tattoos on both her arms. Awesome.

“Baby, are these guys bothering you?” I asked with a heavy fake-twang accent

She looked up at me, shocked. I just sent her a look saying ‘go along with it’.

“Just a little,” she replied fake-meekly

“Who the hell are you?” one of the guys said, looking me up and down

“I’m her fiancé. And I suggest you get your hand off her before I make you,” I smirked, sliding in beside the woman and draping my arm over her shoulders

I only said fiancé because I noticed she had a band on her wedding finger.

“If you’re really her fiancé, then why don’t you kiss?” one of them drawled, his eyes lighting up

“We don’t need to prove anything to you. Especially since all you’re gonna get from our show is an extreme hard-on. Just so you know, my cousin is the bouncer here – you know, the bulky bald one by the door. If you don’t leave us in the next ten seconds, he’s coming over. And stay away – he knows who you are,” I said menacingly, rubbing the girl’s shoulder

They backed off quickly, still watching. I bent my head down to the woman’s ear, my head blocking the view.

“Pretend I’m kissing your neck,” I whispered, dropping the fake-twang I’d used

The woman tilted her head to the side. I’m assuming she changed her expression too.

“I’m Trinity. I’m not actually a lesbian, I thought I’d clear that up. I’ve got to find a seat for me and my sister now, so just keep an eye out. Tell your friends to hurry the fuck up; I'm assuming you're waiting for someone,” I whispered

Lifting my head, I winked. She just laughed.

“Thank you,” she said softly, but gratefully

“Not a problem. It makes my day to scare the shit out of disgusting men,” I grinned

I looked over my shoulder; those guys were still watching. Sighing dramatically, I leant back down and kissed the woman slowly on the cheek. She laughed again, knowing what I was doing.

“Trin, I didn’t know you swung that way,” my sister’s voice mused

Standing up, I saw Peyton standing right next to us, drinks in hand.

“Eh, like you care who I fuck. Besides, I was protecting this innocent woman from an onslaught of pervacious men. Suck it up, skank,” I smirked

“It’s true. My husband and his friends just had to go to the bathroom,” the woman said with a mock-sigh

“Told you,” I said triumphantly, sticking my tongue out at my sister

“You two aren’t from around here, are you?” the woman mused

“Nope. Why do you ask?” Peyton frowned

“A lot of people know me around here. In surrounding cities too, actually. It’s quite refreshing,” the woman explained

“Glad to be of service,” I chuckled, saluting mockingly

“I’m Lindsey,” the woman introduced with a smile

“You already know I’m Trinity; this is my sister Peyton,” I grinned

Lindsey nodded, before reaching into her bag. Scrolling down her phone, she frowned and rolled her eyes.

“They had to leave. My brother-in-law passed out in the bathroom. Idiots forgot I was waiting. I’d better go find them. Thanks, again. Seriously,” Lindsey said gratefully

She stood up. Bloody hell, even with my heels on, she was taller than me in flats! Then again it’s not hard; I’m still 5ft nothing. She kissed my cheek for show, waving as she walked away. Peyton slid in to the vacated seat, so I grabbed the one next to it.

“Well that was one way to start a new town,” Peyton giggled, taking a sip of her drink

“I couldn’t resist. Besides, she was hot. If she’s anything to go by, who knows what the men are like around here,” I grinned, wriggling my eyebrows

“One-track mind,” Peyton smirked

“Like you can talk,” I laughed

“True that,” Peyton shrugged, winking at a passing man

Just then, the bartender appeared in front of us, pushing forwards two shots of jaeger.

“Compliments of the blonde over there,” he nodded

Looking over to where he indicated, I inwardly laughed when I saw ‘the blonde’ was a busty woman.

“Can’t complain,” I smirked, nodding my thanks

She just winked, making Peyton laugh.

“To a new town and new conquests,” I toasted, holding up my shot

“Amen to that,” Peyton grinned
♠ ♠ ♠
Trinity
Peyton
The Apartment
The car
Trinity’s outfit
Peyton’s outfit

And we're off!
Thought I'd start things with a bang...hope you liked!
Comments and such?

Peace and love
xo

p.s. do you know why I love you guys? Because you got me three stars before even posting the first chapter! Yay! Thanks for your comments and subscriptions, seriously...and keep them up!