Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

01

Two months earlier…

I was so jealous. I just got off the phone with a very excited Anna. She and Meghan somehow got tickets to the sold out Pittsburgh Penguins vs. the Washington Capitals in Washington game for next Sunday. How the hell did they manage that one? My dad and I looked for tickets a while ago and couldn’t find any. Ugh, I going to be stuck watching the game on my own TV with my dad. Not that was a bad thing because we always have fun making fun of the “Great Eight”. Gag. Well at least I can turn the channel if they show his face too much.

****

Two months later…

Anna and Meghan were still rubbing it in my face that they got to go to the game and that the Capitals won. I was upset but I managed to keep up my spirits because like my dad says, it all matters in the playoffs. But that was in February and this April. Today was my birthday party and I was looking forward to hanging out with all my friends and turning eighteen, but I wasn’t officially turning eighteen for another two weeks.

Of course Anna and Meghan were the first to show up at my party. After everyone was there for about an hour or so I opened my presents. I opened everyone else first, saving Anna’s for last.

“What could it be?” I said shaking the quiet obvious present.

“I don’t know, why don’t you open it?” She teased.

I ripped open the present and surprise, surprise. It was a Pittsburgh Penguins poster.

“Open it.” Meghan said

“Why? It’s a poster and I already know what poster.” I said

“Just open it.”

“Fine.”

I took off the rubber band that was holding it closed and pulled the poster apart to look at it. I gasped and looked over at Anna who was smiling.

“How did you?” I couldn’t finish my sentence. I looked over the poster making sure what I was seeing was really there. I closed my eyes and opened them again. Yep they were there, autographs from Jordan Staal, Marc-Andre Fleury, Evgeni Malkin, and my all time favorite Sidney Crosby. “Anna, how did you get this done?”

“You are talking to the queens of creeping. We know that place like the back of our hands. We decided to find the Penguins and I told them that the poster was your birthday present and I asked them if they would mind signing it for you.” She said

“AW, you are amazing. Thank you so much. I love it.” I watched as Anna and Meghan shared a look and then Anna glanced towards the front door. I didn’t put much thought into why because my dad was trying to sneak my poster from my pile. “Dad! Drop it!” I said without even looking at him. I turned and saw him place it back on the table and all my friends laughed.

“All right guys,” My mom said trying to get all our attention. “We’ll have cake in about twenty minutes. Taylor’s dad set up the pool table again in the garage. Go have some fun. I’ll call when it’s time.”

“I’ll be right out guys, I’m going to put my presents in my room.” I said grabbing all the bags.

“Taylor, do you need help?” Anna asked

“Um, yea sure. Can you grab the poster and those last two bags?”

“Where are you going to put the poster?”

“I’m not sure yet, I figure I’m going to have to rearrange some things in here. Anna, that poster is amazing. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.”

“Hey, it was no problem. They seemed happy enough to sign it. They even asked questions about you.”

“Did they really, like what?”

“How old you were turning, if you were having a party, things like that.”

“That’s cool.”

As we walked past the front door, Anna looked at it again and then the cable box to get the time. What was into her? I wondered. She was acting a little suspicious. When we got into the garage there was a pool game going on and I called winner. I joined my friend Ben by the dart board and challenged him to a game and beat him.

“Tay! Your turn to play.” Jake shouted

“Alright, let a pro show you how it’s done.” I turned to my victim. “Rack ‘um.” I told her.
Right as I was about to break, my mom called me into the house. I placed the cue down and told someone to take my place and that I called next game.

“Yeah, mom?” I said turning the corner

“Can you open the sets of plates please?”

“Sure, so that poster huh?”

“That was very nice of Anna.” My mom said looking for the candles.

“Yeah, except she practically stalked them to ask them to sign it.” I chuckled.

“But that’s Anna for you.”

“I know, that’s why I love her.” I opened the last pack. “Okay, all the plates are open. Anything else?”

“No, I don’t think so. Give me about another five minutes and we’ll be ready for cake.”

“Okie dokie.” I said

I finally got my game of pool in and I won, of course. Mom called us in right as I sunk the eight ball. There was a chair in front of the cake and my friends shoved me in to. I managed to move away from in, knowing that some of them would try to shove my face into it when the candles were blown out and removed.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Taylor, happy birthday to you!” I never get old of that song. As mom was cutting my cake, dad called me outside.

“What is it dad?” I asked

“There is someone here to see you,” He smiled

“Me? But who? Everyone I invited is inside.”

“Just go see.” He ducked back into the house and left me outside with the random person who came to see me.

I walked down to the end of the driveway where there was a black sedan parked. I slowed down as I realized it was a rental. Who could have needed a rental to come see me? I wondered to myself as the mystery person got out of the car. He had sunglasses on so I couldn’t see his eyes, but he had curly brown hair and a really sweet smile. Something about him struck me as familiar, but I couldn’t quiet put it together. He walked over to me and I realized that he was very built, his shirt and jeans hugged his curves nicely. Wait, curves? A guy really shouldn’t have curves. Then he removed his glasses and everything finally clicked. The curves, the hair, smile, and the familiarity. It was Sidney Crosby. Holy crap, it was Sidney Crosby.

“Hi, are you Taylor?” He asked quietly

I managed a slight nod, I was completely star struck.

“Well, nice to meet you Taylor. I’m Sidney Crosby.” He said extending his hand.

“Hi, what are you doing here?” I asked shaking his hand

He smiled , “I met a couple of your friends at one of our games. They had this poster and asked me, Flower, Geno, and Jordan to sign. I was curious as to why they were looking for us because they were wearing Caps gear. When they told me that it was your birthday and you wanted to go to that game but couldn’t, I decided to come by and see you.” He explained

“Wow, thank you for stopping by and for signing the poster. Are you able to stay for a bit? We just cut the cake.”

“Yeah sure, thanks.” He said as he followed me up the steps and into my house.

When we got in I looked around for Anna and Meghan. “Anna and Meghan!” I shouted. “You guys are amazing! I love you two.” I said giving them a huge hug.

Then I turned to the rest of the party. “Everyone, this is Sidney Crosby. He is the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Those of you who know me, know they are my favorite team and that he is my favorite player.” I said as an introduction. “Sidney, these are my friends, I would introduce them but there are a lot of them. That is my mom over there by the cake and I think you have already met my dad.” I looked around for my sister. “Oh and over there in the corner is my sister Amanda.”

“Hello everybody. I hope you don’t mind me stopping by.” He said shyly

“Not at all. Come on we were about to have cake.” My dad said, slapping Sidney’s back.

I walked over to my cake and grabbed the first piece. Yum, I have been waiting for my mom’s homemade icing. I sat on the floor, that way I was around all my friends.

“Taylor, he’s cute.” My friend Cellina said.

“Sena, that’s the guy that I showed you a picture of during class and you said he wasn’t that cute.”

“That’s him? Wow, he looks way better in person.”

“Mmhmm.”

After everyone had their share of cake, we went back out into the garage where I challenged my friends to one last game of pool. Since it was the last game of the night, they all ganged up on me and cheated so they would win. We had a blast and I didn’t want the night to end.

When everyone left, Mandy and I went back inside and were surprised to see Sidney still here.
“Hey, you’re still here?” I said grabbing a soda from the cooler and offering it to him.

“Yeah, your dad and I were talking about the Cup game.” He said with a smile

“That doesn’t surprise me. I think this is a dream come true for him, to finally get to meet you and talk to you.”

“HEY!” my dad yelled from the hallway

“Sorry, dad.” I chuckled. “So, do you have time for a game of pool?”

“Yeah, it’s not late yet.”

“Alright then, let’s go.” I lead him to the garage and thus the pool table. “Pick your cue. I’ll rack, so you can break.”

“All right, I’m going to warn you now; I’m not very good at this game. Max and the guys beat me all the time.

“That’s too bad, because that means you are going to lose to a girl.” I said placing the balls in the correct order. Wow, was I really doing this? Was I really flirting with Sidney Crosby? “Okay, go ahead and break.”

For somebody who wasn’t very good at the game of pool, he sunk a lot of balls on his first try. Finally he sunk one of mine, so it was my turn. I quickly cleared the table.

“Holy shit you are good.” He said dazed

“Well thank you.” I laughed as I bowed. “It’s not fair to other people that I’ve had this for almost ten years now. So I’ve had time to practice.”

“I’ll say.” He said

“You want to play again?” I asked

“You’re on and this time I’m going to beat you.”

“Dream on, hockey star.”

I lost my concentration during the second game. I was distracted by Sidney, the way he moved around my small, cluttered garage, the way he took his time aiming, his smile, his eyes, and yes even his butt. He ended up winning when I mixed up the eight ball with the seven solid one.

“Oh and I do believe I just won.” He said as he did the hand jab that he does after every goal he scores.

“Only by default because I mixed up the balls. If I wouldn’t have done that then I would’ve won.”

“Sure, sure.” He looked around.

“Are you hungry? We still have some food left over.”

“Actually your mom already fed me.”

“Did she now, well then.”

“So tell me a little bit about yourself, Taylor.” He said putting his cue back in the holder and sitting on the step.

“Well, what do you want to know?” I asked, following what he did.

“Well, you just turned eighteen right?”

“Actually I’m turning eighteen on the twenty first. This was the only weekend that I actually had free. I play softball, I’ve played for almost thirteen years now, I’m not from here, I’m actually from right outside of Philly.” I said, smiling, knowing that he was going to say something.

“Whoa, a Pens fan in Flyer country?” he laughed and I joined in.

“Well it’s actually only my dad and I. The rest of my family are actually all Flyer fans.”

“Boo,”

“I know.” I paused to shut the garage door so no more bugs got in. “So what else would you like to know?”

“Where are you planning on going to college?”

“Well, I’m waiting for letters from UVA, CNU, and JMU. I’m hoping I get into UVA.”

“Wow, that’s a tough school to get into.”

“Yeah, but I have the grades and the Hispanic background to give me a boost.”

“That’s cool. Do you know what you want to be?”

I nodded, “A teacher. Early elementary.”

“That’s pretty impressive.” Looked at his watch, which I knew meant he had to go. He couldn’t stay forever. “Well, I hate to say this, but I have to go. My flight leaves early in the morning. I have to be back before practice tomorrow.”

I sighed. “Okay, I’ll walk you out to your car.” I said standing up. “Mom, dad, Sidney has to go.”

“Oh, well it was great meeting you Sidney. Thank you so much for taking time to come to Taylor’s party.” My mom said

“Sidney, great time talking to you. Like my wife said, thanks for stopping by.” My dad said shaking his hand

“No problem. Thank you for letting me intrude on your party like that.” He said. “It was great meeting you all.”

"I’ll be right back,” I said as Sidney walked out the door.

“You’re family seems really nice, your friends too.” He said

“Well, thank you so much for coming and for signing the poster and for playing pool with me. I had a great time.” I said extending my hand.

He took it and shook it firmly. He opened his car door and reached in. “Here I brought these for you. I hope you can use them.” He said handing me an envelope.

I opened it and pulled out two tickets for the Penguins next game. It was to see them play the, believe it or not, Flyers in Philadelphia. “Wow, thank you so much. But you really didn’t have to get me anything. You coming was enough.”

“It felt weird coming without anything and now that I met your dad I know now that you are going to have an even better time.” He smiled. “Here,” he took the envelope from me and whipped a pen out of his pocket. “I’d like to hear from you again soon. Call or text me some time.”

“Okay I will. Thanks again for the tickets and for showing up. Have a safe flight tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Taylor.”

I watched as Sidney Crosby climbed into his rental and pulled out of the driveway. I waved before he took off down the street.

"How was your party?” Mom asked when I walked in.

“It was a ton of fun. Thank you so much.” I said plopping on the couch.

“No problem sweetie.”

“God, I’m so tired. I think I’m going to call Anna and Meghan and thank them again.”

“Yes you really need to. That was so nice of them to get that poster signed for you.”

“Yeah and for getting Sidney Crosby to come over.” I smiled

Mom nodded, “He is really a sweet guy. I was very surprise that he actually stayed that long.”

“Me too, he’s really laid back. I think dad was excited to meet him.” I said looking around. “Speaking of dad, where is he? I have something that I want to show him.”

“He’s on the computer.”

I got off the couch and walked down the hallway to my parents’ room.

“Hey, dad.” I said sitting on the edge of the bed,

“Hey , sweetie. What’s up?” He asked looking up from the screen.

“Nothing much, but I do have a question for you though.”

“Okay.”

“Want to go up to Philly with me next week to the Pens and Flyers play?”

“Yeah of course.”

“Sweet, they are really good seats.” I said pulling the envelope out of my hoddie pocket.

“Where did you get these? They are awesome seats on the Penguins side too.” Then he smiled. “Sidney gave these to you, didn’t he?”

I smiled, “Yep. I told him he didn’t have to get me anything, but he said he felt like he had to.”

“That was very nice of him.” He looked up at me and smiled. “So, do you want to skip school on this day? Make it an all day thing.”

“Are you seriously asking me if I want to skip school? Duh.”

“All right, I’ll call you out. We will leave after you get home from practice the day before.”

“Yes! Thanks daddy, for everything. I had really fun time.”

Before I called Anna, changed into my pajamas and put my new poster up. After that was up, I called Anna.

“Hey,” she said

“Hey. What are you up to?” I asked

“Sitting on the computer. What else would I be doing?” She laughed

“Of course, so listen the reason I am calling is to thank you again for the poster and for talking to Sidney.”

“Did you have a good time with him?”

“Yes and actually he just left about twenty minutes ago.”

“Wow really? That’s a long time. What did you guys do?”

“Played a few games of pool and talked. When he left he gave me a pair of tickets to go see them play in Philly next week.”

“That’s petty cool. So are you like friends now?”

“I don’t know, he came to my party and hung out with me afterwards and then he gave me tickets. So, I guess we are.”

“Wow,” she laughed. “Meghan wants to know if your dad is out of his daze yet.”

I laughed. “He’s still a little smiley. He’s excited for the game next week.”

“Cool, listen I’m going to go. I’m glad you like your poster and had a good time with Crosbitch.”

“Anna!” Normally I would have laughed at that, but after I’ve met him and talked to him I found that a bit mean.

“Com on, Tay. You know I can’t be nice towards him.” She laughed

“I know, it’s your nature. All right I’ll let you go now. Thanks again.”

“No problem. ‘Night girl.”

“’Night.”

When I hung up with Anna, I took the envelope off my night stand. I took out the tickets and looked at them again. I couldn’t believe I was really going to a Penguins’ game, two rows from their bench. I shook my head, amazing. As I was putting the envelope away, something caught my eye. Sidney’s phone number . Maybe I should call him, check to see if it was really his number. He wouldn’t lie about that, would he? I decided that I wanted to find out. Before I could change my mind, I dialed him number. He answered after the second ring.

“This is Sidney Crosby.” He said

“Sidney, this is Taylor.”

“Hey Taylor, what’s up?”

“Nothing much, I was checking to see if this really was your number.”

“You think I’d lie to you?” He asked a bit hurt.

“Well no, I just am a bit paranoid because one time this guy gave me his number and it ended up being a local restaurant.” I explained.

“That sucks, but this is really my number. Is this your cell number?”

“Yep.”

“Cool, did you tell your dad about the game?”

“Yeah, he’s really excited. He’s actually letting me skip school and we are going to leave late the night before.”

“Sweet, we’ll have to hang out before the game.”

“That sounds good to me.” I paused and looked at my poster again.

“What are you thinking about?” he asked quietly

“How amazing my friends are.” Should I tell him that I was actually thinking about finally getting to see him and his team play?

“They are pretty nice. I don’t imagine many friends that are a fan of the Capitals would hunt down the opposing team, let alone us, to get a poster signed for their friend.”

“If they were truly friends then it wouldn’t matter.”

“True, true.” He took a deep breath. “Taylor, I have to go. If I don’t get some sleep I’m going to be a bitch in the morning.”

I couldn’t stop the laughter that slipped through my lips. I was thinking about Anna and Meghan’s nickname for him.

“It’s not funny.” He said mockingly serious

“I bet.” I took a deep breath to keep from laughing again. “And I wasn’t laughing at you. I just remembered something that my friend said.”

“Oh, good then. Well, good night, Taylor. I hope to talk to you again soon.”

“Me too, Sidney. Good night. Have a good flight tomorrow.”

“Thanks. See you.”

“See ya.”

*****

He had never done that before. He had never gone to some random fan’s birthday party with information from her friends. He didn’t expect to stay so long. Just drop by and say hi, maybe sign a few autographs and then give her the tickets and leave. The next thing he knew it was almost ten-thirty and he still had an hour drive back to the hotel. He just didn’t want to leave.

Then he did the most unexpected thing ever, he gave her his number. An eighteen year old girl. The entire ride back to the hotel he tried to keep her out of his head. Her long, curly brown hair, those soft hazel eyes, the way she interacted with her friends and her smile made his breath hitch.

He figured he had a couple of days to regain control of himself and be free from her, but then his cell phone rang. He didn’t recognize the number so he was tempted to let it go to voicemail, but the little voice in his head had him wondering what if it was her. He decided to answer it, when she spoke his heart rate sped up and his mouth went dry. This wasn’t good, he shouldn’t be falling for an eighteen year old girl. He was twenty-two and a pro hockey player and she was just a girl getting ready to graduate from high school and head off to college. He needed to get off the phone with her or he was never going to get any sleep.

When they finally hung up he placed his phone on the night stand and turned off the lights. He laid on his back, staring at the ceiling and tried very hard not to think of the sweet, young brunette. Against all his attempts, Taylor popped back into his head. He decided not to fight it right now, so he left her there. He sighed and then was excited for next week’s game. They were going to get to hang out. Sidney Crosby fell asleep thinking about Taylor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited.