Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

02

The next week went by very slowly for me. All I could do was sit in class and scribble things about the Penguins. They did play a game on Wednesday and of course I watched it. Watching that after meeting Sidney Crosby, I felt new things. Every time he scored, he did his fist pump and all I was thinking about was the other night in my garage playing pool. After the game was done I was doing homework when my cell rang. I quickly pulled it out of my pocket and checked the caller ID and my heart skipped. It was Sidney.

“Hey,” I said turning off my music.

“Hey yourself. What are you doing?” He asked

“Just some homework. Nice hat trick tonight.”

“Ah, you saw that?”

“Of course, there was a Penguins’ game on. Dad got NHL Network just so he could watch the games.”

“That’s cool.” I heard him talking to someone. “Sorry ‘bout that. So do you have time to talk?”

“Yeah, I just started and I really don’t want to do it.”

“Not a very good attitude.”

“Yeah well it’s my senior year and I don’t want to do much of anything this year.”

“Nice.” He laughed.

“So what are you doing right now?” I asked

“Waiting for the rest of the team to finished up in the locker room. We are heading out to eat.”

“That sounds like fun. Where are you guys going?”

“A small Italian restaurant.”

“Nice.”

“So, we didn’t get to talk much the other night. I want to know more about you. I know you like to play softball, but what else do you do?”

“Well I am in the school marching band. I babysit for some of my former teachers. I have a part time job that I love. And that’s about it.”

“Marching band huh?” I could hear the smile in his voice

“Out of all the things you bring up band. You’re not going to make fun of me are you?”

“No. What do you play?”

“Alto saxophone.”

“Cool.” I heard him talking to someone again. “Tay, I have to go. If I don’t talk to you later I’ll see you in a couple of days.”

“Okay, have fun and good job.”

“Thanks.”

I turned my music back on and finished my homework, but was distracted the entire time. Only two more days until I go up to Philly and see Sidney play in person. I was excited and nervous at the same time. I decided that I wasn’t going to think about it until the day it comes.

***

Later that night when I was packing my bag, I ran out into the hallway to ask dad if I could wear his Crosby jersey. When he said yes, I let out a yelp and threw open his closet.

“Hand me the Malkin one.” He said from behind me.

“You don’t mind me wearing this one? I can wear that one, I don’t hate Malkin.” I asked folding the jersey.

“You can wear that one, I’m fine with the Malkin one.”

“Thanks dad.”

Only one more day, we were leaving tomorrow after practice.

I was so antsy all day during school. I just wanted to the day to end so I could go to practice and get that out of the way. When I was about to go absolutely crazy in my study hall, I felt my pocket buzz. Wondering which friend was also bored, I pulled it out. It wasn’t one of my bored friends. It was my new amazing friend. Sidney. I smiled as I opened my phone.

*****

Today wasn’t really mandatory, but Sidney felt the need to go to weight training and open skate. The others might think he’s here because he’s the captain, but the truth is he needed to do something to get Taylor out of his head. Ever since he talked to her on the night he got a hat trick she’s been in his head all day everyday. He was taking some shots against his buddy Fleury and not making any of them. This wasn’t good because they had one of the biggest rivalries tomorrow night.

“Yo Sid, what’s up with your shots today?” Fleury asked, his accent thick

Crosby shook his head. “Just a bit tired I guess. I didn’t get much sleep last night.” Because a certain girl was on my mind all night. He added to himself.

“Well make sure you get sleep tonight. We are going to need you tomorrow.”

“Not really. Well okay maybe a little.” Sidney saw his other buddy Max come onto the ice for his practice time against Flower.

“Hey Sid. Want to shoot with me?” Max asked

“Nah, thanks though. I’m going to go take a break.”

“Alright, man.” He said taking his first shot and making it.

When Sidney reached his stall in the locker room he grabbed his phone and sent a text to Taylor.

Only a few more hours. I can’t wait to see you.

Was that too much? He wondered to himself. Oh well it was too late now, he already sent it. He decided that he didn’t care about her age, he wanted to be with Taylor. It just felt weird. They could start off as friends and then see where that took them. He could be patent enough, he just didn’t know if his teammates could handle it.

*****

Only a few more hours. I can’t wait to see you

That one little text drove me even more insane. I just wanted to be in Philadelphia.

Thanks, make me even more anxious, why don’t u? lol god could this day be any slower?

I pressed sent and waited for his response. I came the conclusion last night that I have never felt like this about a guy before. I knew he was older than me, but just by four and half years. That wasn’t that far apart, but it was for some people. Too big of an age gap. I also had to figure in that he doesn’t feel the same way about me, maybe he was just being nice. A friend. I saw my phone light up under my hoddie and I quickly opened it.

I didn’t mean to make it worse. My day has been pretty slow too, for it being the day before a game. How much longer do you have?

I looked up at the clock and groaned.

Another half hour in this period and then I have last, but then I have sftbl practice after school.

I responded and groaned again. I just wanted this day to end and I wasn’t really looking forward to math today. Meghan was in that class and we were having a free day, which meant we would be sitting by each other. She was going to say something to me about the Penguins. Especially since I’m going to the game tomorrow. My phone light up again.

God that sucks. How longs practice?

Ugh three and half hours.

Yeah I know how that goes. When’s you next game?

Uh, next Wednesday.

Hmm, that’s cool. Well I have to go. See you tomorrow!

Alright see you!

Now back to boredom, that conversation only lasted about five minutes. I still had time left. Finally twenty minutes passed and the bell rang. Only one more period!

Math went by surprisingly fast, maybe because Meghan and I spent most of class talking about hockey. She was making fun of Crosby and I was making fun of Ovie, it was all even. Finally the final bell rang and I met up with some of the softball girls as we headed to the locker room.

Practice was murder, we were playing our rival next week so we had a hard practice today. That meant a lot of running and drills. Thankfully the coach ended practice about half an hour early. I was very happy to be climbing into my friend’s car.

“Have fun tomorrow.” She said as I got out of her car.

“Thanks, I will. I’ll try to take pictures, but I might be really busy.”

“Don’t sweat it.”

When I walked in the door, my dad was already ready to go. I still had to shower.

“Give me like fifteen minutes, dad. I should be ready.” I told him, making my way to the garage.

“Okay, we’re going to stop and get something to eat, so I’m in no rush.”

“Okay.”

I quickly put my gear in the garage and ran to my room to get my towel. I was in and out of the shower in record time. I dressed in comfy sweats and put my hair into a quick ponytail. Before leaving I looked at my poster and felt the excitement bubble in my chest. Grabbing my bag, I went out to the living room.

“That was quick, even for you Taylor.” Amanda said.

“Well I know dad wants to get going.” I said

“Liar. You just are really excited to see Sidney.”

“You little brat, how did you know about that?” Then I noticed she had my cell phone. “You read my text messages?”

“You left your phone out.” Was her answer

“That doesn’t mean that you read my messages. How would you like it if I read yours?”

“Whatever, you’d be scared.”

“Fine whatever, just don’t read them again please.”

“So are you excited to see him?”

“A little bit, but I am also looking forward to spending some time with dad.”

“Have fun.”

“I will”

Dad came in and took my bag out to the car. I went into the kitchen to get a bottle of water. My mom was standing at the sink.

“You ready to go?” She asked washing the cup in her hand

“Yes, I’m very excited. I just wish it was tomorrow.” I said bouncing slightly.

Mom laughed, “You’re first hockey game.”

“Yeah it’s that but it’s also seeing Sidney again. I feel like we really connected when he was here.”

“What do you mean ‘connected’?”

“I don’t know, like we have been friends for a long time. I can totally be myself around him. He doesn’t judge me.”

“Taylor, I feel like you are falling for him.”

“I’m not sure if I am. Right now it just feels like a really close friendship.”

“But you two just met.”

“I know, that’s why I don’t think I’m falling for him.” I sighed. “I know I’ve liked him for so long, but truthfully that was as Sidney Crosby, the face of hockey and the captain of the Penguins. Now that I’ve actually talked to him I see that he is actually really normal.”

“Just don’t get caught up in this like it’s a fairy tale. It’s reality, it might not be all bubblegum and butterflies.” I had to laugh at her analogy, because that was how Amanda and I described on of her favorite singers.

“I know mom, plus there is also the slight age difference thing.”

“Yes, there is that.”

“Mom, what if there was something between us. Would you let me see him?”

“I don’t know, I’d have to think about it. There are a lot of things to consider.”

“I know what you mean. But it was just a hypothetical question.”

“Taylor, are you ready?” dad asked coming around the corner

“Yep, I was just saying bye to mom.”

Dad walked over to mom and gave her a hug and a kiss. I double checked my purse, making sure I had everything. Cell phone, ID, tickets, and camera. Check, check, check, and check. I was good to go. Dad and I got into the car and headed towards route three, where we would get something to eat.

It was nice to have some alone time with dad. We haven’t done this since we went to the Natural Bridge. It was nice to talk to him about different things. He asked me about school, softball, work, and boys. When we were on the road for about an hour, I decided to send Sidney a text letting him know we were on our way and I would text him when we got grandma and grandpa’s.

I must’ve fallen asleep because when I woke up we were pulling into my grandparent’s driveway and it was only quarter to twelve at night, actually really good time. Surprisingly grandpa was just getting in from work, so we stayed up to talk to him. When he went to bed, dad and I only stayed up for a few more minutes. When I was settled in my room, I put my Ipod on and grabbed my phone.

I’m here. We made it in four hours.

I waited patently for his response. When I felt my phone buzzed, I smiled

That’s pretty good timing. We should be getting into Philly around three-ish. When can you get down here?

I’m not sure, I’ll have to talk to my dad. I have a feeling that I’m going to have to spend time with some of my fam. I’ll let you no thou XD

Buzz…

Ok, just text me. When are you leaving for home?

Sunday afternoon, I think.

Buzz…
Ok. I’ll c if I can get down there Friday night. Are you doing anything?

I don’t think so, but again I have to talk to my dad. Lol

Buzz…

Ok. Well I let you get some sleep. See you tomorrow!

See ya!

I closed my phone and turned my Ipod timer on and went to sleep. Despite being as exhausted as I was, I couldn’t sleep. I was way too wired for tomorrow, just a couple more hours. I kept repeating this to myself, eventually I fell into a deep sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
edited