Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

15

One month later….

Katie, Anna, and I were taking a trip to Myrtle Beach for a week. We were skipping school and heading down for some relaxation before graduation. Once we got down there Anna and I went straight to a sports bar down the street to watch the playoffs. I was watching them because the Penguins where still in them and Anna was watching them because it was hockey and since the Pens knocked the Caps out, she'd had to deal. This was the second round of playoffs and game seven of the series. I was holding my breath because who ever won this was going to play for the Stanley Cup.

“Taylor, breathe.” Anna laughed as we waited for the first faceoff.

“She not breathing again?” Katie asked shaking her head.

“No, she’s so caught up in not being there for him. Taylor, you are on vacation and a relaxing one at that. So relax, the game is starting in five minutes and we will sit in here like we have every other night until the game is over.”

I took a deep breath and looked at my best friend. “I know, but I’m just so nervous for him. It’s all or nothing tonight.” I took off my jacket and placed on the chair behind me. Tonight I was wearing the shirt that Jordan got everyone to sign for my birthday.

“Just relax and watch the game, whatever happens ,happens.”

“Yeah Taylor and we are here for you and for him.” Katie paused and laughed. “Well I am at least. Anna on the other hand is just here to watch. Inside she is hoping that they lose.”

“Thanks Katie.” Anna laughed. “You know I don’t like him Taylor, but I am here for you if they lose.”

“Thanks guys. I know I haven’t been much fun these past few evenings, but I just have to watch.” I said

“Yeah and then spend the night on the phone with Sid.”

“Yeah, well I really haven ‘t seen him in a long time since he’s been traveling a lot and I’ve been busy with graduation crap.”

“We are just making fun of you Taylor. We know you both have been busy.” Anna said

“All right shush. The game is starting.”

Katie and Anna both chuckled as I focused on the flat screen TV above the bar. I could see the large 87 on the back of the black jersey and my stomach flipped.

“Can I get you another pina colada, Taylor.” Our waitress asked.

“No thanks Cam. I would just like a glass of water, my stomach can’t take much of anything right now.” I said without taking my eyes off the screen. Cameron has been our waitress all week and we have all become friends.

She came back with my water and leaned on the table. “How’s he doing tonight?” She asked glancing at the screen.

“He’s nervous, he barely said a word on the phone earlier. I think he will do well tonight.” And right as I said that he scored the first goal. “YES!” I jumped up and screamed.

Cam chuckled, “I’ll be by later and talk to you guys again.” She said walking away.

“Alright, now just keep it up.” I whispered

“Is she always like this?” Katie asked Anna

“Yeah pretty much, but it has gotten worse since she started dating him.” Anna said

Katie just laughed and turned to the game. The night went pretty much like that all night. When the third period started I was all nerves, they were tied and it was going to get ugly. Sure enough within the first five minutes Jordan was in a fight and sitting in the penalty box.

“Oh Jordan. When will you learn?” I sighed.

“Stop talking to them when they aren’t here.” Anna teased. “It’s really creeping me out.”

“Well I’m sorry I know them and actually talk to them. “

“Chill Taylor, I was just kidding.”

“I know and I’m sorry, I’m just stressing out a little.”

“I know.”

We went back to watching the game in silence. I just wanted them to score and this to be done.

****
This was it, the last twenty minutes in regulation. Sidney was waiting very impatiently for his shift on the ice. He just wanted to get the puck passed around and in that net. He just wanted to win this game, that way he would get a break and he could go see Taylor. He hadn’t seen here since he surprised her at her grandparents house a couple of weeks ago.

Sure he's spoken with her over the phone, but that wasn’t the same as talking to her in person. He wanted her to be here tonight, but she was away with her friends and she still had a few more weeks of school. There’s the change, it was his turn now. With in a few seconds of ice time, they scored. Shit.

****
“Dammit,” I growled as the puck got past Flower. “Shit.”

“Taylor there is still ten minutes left, they can come back from this.” Katie said

“I know, but it’s just frustrating.” I said as they showed the replay. I cursed under my breath again.

They didn’t come back, they lost. It was the worst feeling ever, not being able to be there for him or even the team. I actually found myself crying as I watched the other team celebrate and the Penguins skate off the ice with their heads down. Come on guys, don’t hang your heads. I said to myself.

“I’m sorry Taylor. I know you wanted them to win.” Anna said

“Yeah, me too. They look so sad.” Katie said softly.

“Thanks guys. Let’s go, I want to call him in a little bit and I don’t want to be crying when I talk to him.” I said putting my jacket on. I waved to Cam who gave me a sad smile as we left.

The ride back to the condo was a quiet one. I knew Anna wanted to say something, but she was being a good friend and not saying it right now. I had to think about the good things that will come out of this though, I will get to see Sidney more. Totally selfish I know.

****
The locker room was quiet. Everyone was just thinking to themselves about what went wrong. Sidney tried his best to get his team to keep their heads up and not dwell on the mistakes right now. But, he didn’t take his own words to heart. Here he was sitting by his stall and thinking about what they could have done differently. He was also thinking about how badly he wanted to hear his girlfriend’s voice. Almost as soon as that thought passed through his head, his phone rang.

“Hello?” He answered

“Hey,” She said quietly. “How are you doing?”

“Okay, I guess. I don’t know though.”

“I wish I could be there right now. You don’t know how badly I want to give you a hug and the rest of the team too.”

“I wish you were here too, I really could use a hug from you. I think Flower could too.” He chuckled lightly.

“Is he there?” She asked

“Yeah. Want to talk to him?”

“Please.”

Sidney walked over to Marc-Andre’s stall and handed him the phone. “It’s Taylor, she wants to talk to you.”

****
“Hello?” I my favorite French accent ask.

“How ya doing, Flower?” I asked

“Eh, I’ve been better.”

“I bet. Listen, that was a nice attempt to block that shot. I seriously thought you had it.”

“Thanks Taylor. When you coming back to see us?”

“Um, I’m not sure. I’m on vacation right now. I’ll see when I get home if I have anything going on.”

“Okay, Jordan wants to talk to you.”

“Okay, put him on.”

There was a brief pause as Marc-Andre handed the phone over to Jordan.

“Hey Taylor.” He said, he sounded so sad.

“Hey there Jordan. So what was going on in that head of yours to get in that fight?” I laughed

“You saw that, huh?”

“Yes, I was in a sports club and saw it. I did laugh though, because that’s so you.”

“I know.” He paused and I heard him talking to someone. “Listen Sid wants his phone back, which really means he wants you back. Talk to you soon.”

“Bye.”

“Hey, man you get around even with me in the room.” Sidney laughed when he got back on.

“I’m sorry, I thought they just needed to hear from a fan’s point of view that they did play a good game. When are you guys heading home?”

“Tomorrow afternoon.”

“That’s cool.”

“When are you leaving?”

“In about two days and then I have to go back to school. Ugh.”

“Well you only have a few more weeks.”

“Thank god. That’s all that’s keeping me going.”

“Have you met your roommate yet?”

“No, I haven’t yet. I’m going to call her next weekend though.” I said. I had gotten accepted to the University of Virginia last month and they sent me information on my room mate and how I could contact her. I was looking forward to meeting her.

“That’s good. Listen I’m going to go. Thank you for calling, I really needed it.”

“No problem, you know that. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Okay. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

When I hung up with Sidney, I opened the sliding glass door and found Katie and Anna watching my favorite movie ever, Spy Game. Sitting down with a bag of chips and a soda, we stayed up late watching movies and planned on sleeping in the next morning before heading to the pool.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited