I Can Hear Your Voice of Treason From a Mile Away.

Finally Happy and Forever Stubborn

3 Years Later

I was sitting in the small receptionist office where I usually was when I thought I heard a familiar voice. Leila, one of the girls that worked with me and also my best friend, was sitting in front of the open window, talking to whoever was on the other side. I could tell by the way she was sitting that whoever it is was making her nervous.

“How can I help you?” She asked with a smile.

“Well,” I could tell it was a guy, but I just couldn’t pinpoint who the voice belonged to. “I’m looking for a hot, bodacious blond that works here. She has gorgeous eyes and a pretty smile. Is she here today?”

Leila turned to me with a raised eyebrow. “Starr, there is someone here to see you.” She looked really confused as she got out of her chair, moving to sit behind the computer in the corner.

I walked over to the window and felt a smile take over my face at the sight of the man before me. “Well, well, well . . . What brings you here, Mr. Way?”

He smirked at me. “I just couldn’t miss out on the chance to see such a beautiful woman. That would make me look bad, Sugar.”

“No, really, Gerard, what are you doing here?”

“I was in town, you know on tour, and I thought I’d come see you. I haven’t seen you or the boys in forever. I was actually hoping to catch you before you went on your lunch break.”

“Well, Mr. Way, I was just on my way out the door.” I turned to Leila who was turned in her chair pretending like she wasn’t listening in. “I’ll be back in an hour, Lei.” She mouthed the word ‘details’ before smirking at me and practically shoving me out of the small office.

I couldn’t help but smile the whole time I was with Gerard. It was just so great to see him. Calling or texting just wasn’t the same as actually seeing him in person.

I met Gerard through my ex-husband Brian. Avenged Sevenfold was having a party to celebrate their making of Waking the Fallen—at least I think it was that CD—and Brian introduced me to the guys of MCR. After that, I didn’t see Gerard for several months. I was beyond embarrassed when I did see him next. He had come over to talk to Brian about something, but Brian wasn’t home. I was seven months pregnant at the time, and so because of my hormones, I was crying about Brian not being home. When Gerard saw my red eyes and blotchy face, he immediately knew that Brian and I were having problems. He gave me his number and told me to call if I was ever alone again. I called him almost every night—that’s how often Brian left me alone in our house—but Gerard didn’t care. He became like a brother, and so did the rest of My Chemical Romance.

Not only did Gerard keep me company through the phone, but he also would sneak me out to see my best friend Amir and his wife Leila. Brian didn’t like Amir or Leila because of the fact they didn’t like him, so it was hard for me to see them.

Gerard helped me through some of the hardest times of my life, and for that I was thankful. If it hadn’t of been for him and his band mates, I probably wouldn’t have survived it all. Thanks to them, my cousin Kelly, Joel (yeah, Madden), Jacoby Shaddix, Amir, Leila, and the guys of Simple Plan, I was able to raise my sons and remain in an un-abusive atmosphere.

“So, you’re good?” Gerard asked, sipping his coffee.

“I’m great, Gee,” I answered, honestly.

“And the boys,”

“Dryden and Colton are fine. They love the new house. And Dryden loves being close to his grandparents. He absolutely adores Suzy and Brian Sr.”

“What about Brian Jr.; has he seen Dryden, lately?”

I groaned at the mention of my ex-husband. “Brian made it clear long ago that he didn’t want anything to do with his son. And I refuse to voluntarily put my son in a situation where he’ll only get hurt, Gee. I know Brian, and I pray every day that my son doesn’t end up like his father.”

“I know what you’re saying, but come on, babe. It’s been three years. Maybe he’s changed since you last saw each other.”

“People like Brian don’t change, Gerard, they only get worse.” I muttered.

“I know you hate him and his band mates, but I think you should do this, not only for Dryden but for you as well. You obviously still have some hang-ups about your marriage that you need to work out.”

As much as I hated to admit it, Gerard was right. Dryden deserved to meet his father. It didn’t matter if his father was some big, egotistical guitar-playing jackass that only wanted his mother as a trophy wife. Nope, what matters most is that Brian is Dryden’s father, and I can’t keep them from each other. I just hope that Gerard is right about Brian being a changed man because I don’t want Dryden to be hurt like I was . . .

“Did you get an invitation to Val and Matt’s wedding?” Gerard asked, changing the subject to a lighter topic.

“Yeah, but I’m not going,”

“Why not?”

“Because, Gerard, as much as I love Val, I refuse to go to her wedding, where everyone that hates me will be there to glare at me and make me feel awkward. It’s just not happening! Val may like me, but her fiancé and his friends sure as hell don’t.” I sighed. “I won’t ruin her wedding like that, Gee.”

“Starr, honey, she wouldn’t have invited you if she thought you would ruin her wedding.”

Valary DiBenedetto is one of the sweetest girls in the world. She was nice to everyone. While the majority of her friends hated even despised me, Val was there for me. She stood up for me and didn’t care if it caused her any trouble with the others. I still cared, though, which is why I’m not going to the wedding. I hate causing trouble for people.
“It doesn’t matter, Gerard. You know I hate causing trouble for people, especially Val.”

“Yes, and I also know you’d feel bad if you don’t go.” Gerard sighed. “As far as I’m concerned, I think you should just go. To hell with what the others say!”

Maybe Gerard is right. I really shouldn’t care what the others say or think about me. It’s just hard. All my life I’ve been accepted by people no matter what. Yet, when I date Brian, his friends hate me. Wouldn’t you be hurt?

“I’ll discuss it with Val, Saturday.” I sighed, not wanting to discuss the issue any longer. Sadly, Gerard is as persistent as I am stubborn.

My lunch break was over before I knew it. I watched Gerard get into his rental car and drive off before I walked into my work building.