Suffocating In Darkness

His feet shuffled along the path with an urgency to them, the sticks and leaves underfoot seemed to be trying to slow him down but he couldn’t let them, not today. “Hurry, before the sun sets.” He tells her. Her soft laugh filled the air… filled his ears… filled his heart…

“What are we doing here?” She spoke but he did not answer… It wasn’t time yet. It had to perfect. It had to be the exact moment when the sun faded into the horizon. When the last bit remaining light cast a glow upon her soft face. When the only light that was left was the one in her eyes as she looked at him…

“Just look.” He spoke, stepping to the side, finally revealing his gift to her… A soft gasp escaped her lips as her eyes ran along the carving. A mark on the tree… A mark of his love, permanently etched. Just like the oak, it would forever to remain through time…

“You shouldn’t have.” Her words confused him…

“Shouldn’t have?…but I love you” was the reply and there was no answer back. “Don’t you see? Just as this tree stands so strong, so does my love. I will be by your side always. I will love you forever… I promise you that.” The words flowed easily from him lips.

A smile… A laugh… A soft kiss…A promise made into the sunset... Born in the light and saved in the darkness.
  1. 1/1