‹ Prequel: Temporary Home
Status: Finished!

Temporary Life

Chapter 18

Image

When I got back, I went straight up stairs. The whole ride was quiet. No one knew what was safe to say, so they stayed quiet.

"Kels! Wait!" Dad called after me, but I took the stairs two at a time.

Once I was safely in the bathroom, I closed and locked it. I slid down the wall and pulled my knees to my chest. I had no idea how I was feeling right now. I felt hurt, sad, angry... But I didn't know why? Why was I feeling like this when he as the one walking away from Lily?

"Kels, open up." Jimmy said, knocking on the door. When I didn't respond, I heard him pick the lock. Once the door was open, he looked around the bathroom, spotting me. He kneeled down in front of me and stroked my cheek. I felt something wet. When had I started crying? "Don't cry for him, Baby. He doesn't deserve your tears."

"That's the thing. I don't know why I'm crying!"

"You're emotions are finally catching up with you. You know you shouldn't keep them bottled up."

I sighed, wiping my cheeks. "I know." I said, standing up.

"Where are you going?" He asked, following me.

"To get ready for work." He nodded, knowing to let me be for a little while.

Once I was done getting ready, I headed back down stairs to where everyone was sat in the living room.

"Is that seriously your uniform?" Dad asked skeptically as he looked me over.

"Yes, Dad. I'm covered, don't make a big deal."

"I know you're covered, but you can still see the curves!"

"Whatever, I should be back around two. Earlier if I can. If you need me, call my cell. If I don't' answer, I left the bar's number on the fridge." I said, walking over to Lily and picking her up. "I love you, Baby. Be good. I'll see you when I get home." I said, kissing the top of her head, then giving her back to Val. "Bye, guys."

It was around ten when someone I didn't feel like seeing, showed up. "Kels, can we talk?"

"Can't you see I'm working, Alex?" I snapped, clearing a table and walking back to the bar.

"I'm sure you can take a break."

"And I was sure that you could pull your head out of your ass, but obviously not."

"Kels, I came to apologize." I stopped to look at him.

I scoffed, shaking my head. "I really don't believe you right now." I said, walking away.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't want your apologies, Alex. I'm not the one who needs it."

"Well, then let me see Lily."

"Why?! So you can just walk away from her again?!" I was almost fuming at this point.

"Is he bothering you, Kelsi?" Blake, one of the bouncers, asked walking over.

"No, he was just leaving." I said, staring hard at Alex. He gave up and left.

"You gonna be ok?" Blake asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I smiled, before walking away. I knew he could tell it was a fake smile, but I had a job to do.

Another hour later, I was at a new table. "What can I get you guys?"

"No way... Kelsi?! Is that seriously you?" I looked at the one that said my name.

"Beth?" I asked, surprised.

"Girl! I could kill you right now! But I'm too happy to see you." Yeah, that was Beth. She got up and threw her arms around me.

Joe was next. "It's so good to see you." He said, squeezing the life out of me.

"It's great to see you too, Joe." I laughed, patting his back. The others weren't too welcoming in seeing me. My smile dropped as I looked at all of their frowning faces.

"Guys, don't be dicks." Beth said, glaring at them.

"We're not the ones that left." Ben snapped, crossing his arms.

Ouch, that hurt. "I deserve that." I mumbled, looking away.

"Why don't we all go out to lunch or something tomorrow?" Joe suggested.

"I don't-"

"Come on, Kels. It's the least you could do." Beth said, pleadingly.

I sighed and nodded. "You remember where Papa's house is, right?" She nodded. "Meet me there at Noon tomorrow. Then we can go."

"Awesome!"

"Well, I have to get back to work." I went to get their drinks, and went on with the rest of the night.

As I was heading out at three, I was stopped. "Kels, please. Just let me come see her." Alex said.

"God damn it. Don't you have somewhere to be? Fucking Jessica or something?" I snapped, trying to get in my car.

"I just want to see my daughter."

"Yeah, well not tonight. It's late and she's already asleep." I slammed the door, before taking off.

Why the sudden change of mind for him? Guilt?
♠ ♠ ♠
oh boy...