Sell Your Soul Under the Lights

Don't You Let It Be A State Of Emergency

Joseph didn't look at her, he didn't want to look at her. The brunette, in her heels, strutted towards her previous boyfriend. Jenna smiled at the two boys in front of her. “Hello Joe, how are you?”

There were so many thoughts going through Joseph’s head that he hadn't even heard her question until she repeated it for the second time. Once he had heard her he decided not to say anything because he knew that was something that irked her most.

“Okay then, we can skip that happy greetings then. Hello my name is Jenna Stone.” her gaze was now fixated on Lewis. He just returned the greeting with an uncomfortable smile.

“What do you want and what are you doing here Jenna?” Joseph spoke. The look of hate matched the venom that seemed to seething past his lips as he spoke.

The harshness of his voice didn't seem to surprise Jenna but her eyes did still widen. In that moment, Tamara cam back with their food. “Here you two go. Is there anything I can get you mam’?”

“Yes actually there is, do you think you could get me a sweet tea with lemon? thanks a bunch.” The smile upon her lips was too sweet to be taken sincerely. Tamara nodded her head with a smile and walked away. “So which one of you am I going to sit beside?”

Neither man moved from there spot. The silence and tension around the booth was thick. Lewis cracked after a minute or so and got up. Joseph glared at him.

“Finally, thank you for being a kind gentleman. I didn't your name.” Lewis slid in beside Jenna and felt slightly uncomfortable. He told her his name and she smiled brightly at him.

Joseph looked at the woman he used to love with nothing but repulsion. He was beyond the past feeling of hurt. His tone of voice could make someone jump from its harshness. “I have nothing to say to you Jenna. You might as well just leave and go back to being a cheater. I have no sympathy for what’s dead.”

“That's a little harsh of you to say considering we loved each other at a point in time. Plus we are in front of your friend, I don't think he wants to hear us bickering while he’s eating.” Jenna ushered to Lewis as he was eating his food.

“Lewis is sitting right here and can think for himself, but I think I'm going to eat my food elsewhere for the time being.” the blond took his food and cleared the table. Joseph had now just lost his appetite.

Not a word was said after Lewis had left. Joseph didn't look at his past, just ahead to see Tamara with his exes iced tea. Jenna had begun to speak after the redhead was out of earshot. “Really? I come to see you and this is how you act, like an asshole? What does that say about you Joe? You’re going to never forgive me?”

“Yeah, I guess I am an asshole, but I’ll always be better than you because I have the decency to be honest in person. You cheated on me, for a long while, and the way you told me through a letter. Not to mention that you left me when I needed you most. Are you still with Tanner?” there was inflection in his voice and nothing but hostility.

Jenna let out a large puff of air which caused a few strands hanging from her head to skew. She knew that Joe was right. She had gave him a letter then left all the while he needed her. “Yes, I’m still with Tanner. He doesn't even know I’m here. You’re also right, I am a horrible person but that was the past me. I’m trying to fix this.”

“What is there to fix Jenna? You can’t fix everything. Nothing will ever be like it was before. I don't think I could ever forgive you. I’m fine with where I’m at right now.” Joseph stated. It may have not been the whole truth, but she didn't know that.

“How can you be happy where you are? Your mother is grieving still and you aren't even helping her through it. Everyone is lost and you’re running away from your problems.” Jenna said straight forward.

Joseph, flabbergasted, just started to laugh. The thought of his mother made him so outraged that he was smiling. Once his laughing was over with his tone became serious and hostile. “My mother?! You don't even know my mother anymore. Shes a vindictive miserable bitch that blames her son for her other son’s death.”

It shocked the younger girl to hear what had been said. She couldn't imagine Denise acting anything like Joe had been describing. “I don't believe you.”

“You don't? What did you and Denise talk about when you went to their house and realized I wasn't there?” Joseph asked intrigued.

“We talked about your whereabouts, that's really it then I left.” Jenna said as she began to drink her iced tea for the first time. They just looked at one another silently speaking. “I guess what I’m trying to say is that I just miss you.”

The sincerity in her voice made Joseph think for a second. He thought that maybe Jenna had been sorry for her previous action, but he didn't know if he could forgive her. “I’ve met someone”

With that being said, Joseph stood up, told Lewis that they were leaving, and exited the diner.

[&&&]

The car ride back to their apartments were silent. No one said a thing until they had arrived at the outside door of the apartment building.

“Today was something interesting.” Lewis said as they entered and saw Lisa at the front desk. She smiled at them brightly and went back to some work. They smiled back at her unenthusiastically.

“You know how I said that I didn't want to go to the club all this week? I’ve changed my mind. I need a drink or two or five.” Lewis laughed loudly at the same time Joseph let out a sigh of exhaustion.

Lisa smiled at the two men across the lobby. They walked over to her without even thinking about it. “Is everything okay Joe? You look like something had drained the life out of you? Anything I can do to help you?”

“Its just been a long day Lisa, that's all that I can say. Question, are you working at the club tonight? If so, do you think we could be a free round of drinks? I know that its wrong to ask as well.” Joseph stated, he had given his money for the week to that teenage girl that needed help.

“Are you sure you’re okay Joe? I honestly don't know if I can do that or if Ingle would let me do that. I can see what I can do though.” Lisa said with a small sad smile.

Joseph just sighed as he nodded his head. His feet began to take him up the stairs and Lewis followed. The dark haired brunette trudged up into the room, not bothered if his friend came in.

Silence filled the room for a good minute as Joseph rested his body on the bed. “You know, this whole thing really sucks. Why did this happen to me? Do I deserve this? Well do you think I could make a call to some people?”

Lewis knew when it was time from him to leave and this was one of those times. He smiled at his friend but didn't say a word, he just left.

Taking out his phone from his pocket slowly, Joseph looked at the screen. The time on the clock said five forty. He felt drained and the day wasn't even half way over. His fingers dialed the familiar number.

It rang and rang and rang. The constant ringing made Joseph grow tried, his eyes closed. They had opened two minutes later when his phone started to vibrate.

“Hello?” Joseph’s directionless voice grumbled as he rubbed one of this eyes.

The other side of the line was silent for a moment. Nick had no idea what to say to his brother. He hadn't known what to say to him for a long time. “Joe? How are you?”

When Joseph spoke it appeared as if venom was seething through. “You told her where I was?”

Nick, by this time, knew what his older brother was talking about and couldn't avoid the situation. He was slightly scared to tell him. Its not like he didn't already know.

“Jenna came to the house looking for you. She i guess wanted some redemption or something along those lines. Mom was in her room and she told her. She didn't even ask about any of us, just where you were and then left. I didn't say anything to Jenna.” Nick sounded like he was stating his case to the court.

“Yeah, I figured cause I had lunch with her today. Why did Denise tell her where I was at in the first place?” Joseph asked partially seething.

On the other side of the phone Nick sighed. “ I think she just wants her son back Joe. She might be hoping that Jenna can bring you back here.”

“That's funny, because I’m not going back to her ever again!” At this point, Joseph was completely awake and enraged. He knew that he was never going to go back to her and give her that satisfaction.

Silence filled between the two, which Joseph had expected. Nick answered in a meek voice. “You’re never coming back? What about the rest of your family?”

Joseph thought hard about what his younger brother had said. “I’m sorry, its just the way this has to be.”

With that being said Joseph pressed the red button on his phone and ended the call. He didn't want all of this. He wanted the life he had less than a year ago, Joe wasn't to be happy for once.

There was another vibrating noise coming from Joseph’s phone. It was a message from Lewis asking him when he wanted to go to the club.

The young man sighed loudly and tried to clear his mind. His fingers moved quickly as he was typing. The message was sent and Joseph decided to get a few extra hours of sleep. He was spent and it was only the afternoon.
♠ ♠ ♠
ANOTHER ALMOST TWO WEEK UPDATE! THIRTEEN DAYS! ARE YOU SURPRISED?!
Man, I must really love this story, or maybe its the fact that this is the only story where I don't have writers block. Just to warn you all, i may not update for a while because of school, or I may. It all depends on if I am busy or not. I mean there is a thirteen paragraph paper I have to do for Theater class, good thing I know the topic well though. How are you guys liking the story? Jenna is there and it seems to me like she doesn't want to leave. Plus Nick?! You guys are amazing readers and subscribers and commenters. There are probably going to be around twenty-five to thirty chapters so it will be a little while for this story to end.

COMMENT
SUBSCRIBE
TELL YOUR FRIENDS
BANNERS WOULD BE NICE TOO(:

Sincerely,
Devastating Home.