Status: Completed. Go subscribe to I Hate Myself Without You

Cross My Heart

Accident

“Can we NOT drive all the way to Toronto?” Marque complained when we were walking to Keith's apartment. We were going to see how he was doing, and how he was coping with everything.

“Aw, but why? That takes away all the band-bonding-time.” I complained. Marque knew I was kidding, of course. I sometimes hated being in a van for three consecutive days with no stops, aside from trying to find a place to sleep. “I'm pretty sure we've all decided that we want to take a plane.” I added.

“Alright, but whenever I get on planes, I always have to either sit next to the fat people that take over my seat, the overly B.O.'d person, the person who snores LOUDLY,” Marque made wild hand motions for the one word,”or you!”

“Am I supposed to be offended by that?” I arched an eyebrow at my fiancee.

“You can take that however you want babe.” Marque said. I chuckled lightly at him and we approached the apartment building. Marque found the buzzer to Keith's apartment and pressed it to weird tune.

“Yeah?” Keith's voice sounded over the crackly buzzer.

“Yo. It's Marque.”

“And me!”

“...and Airin.” Marque said. “Can you buzz us up?”

“No.” Keith said. Marque turned around and frowned at me, but the door soon opened. Marque grasped the handle and we walked in. We walked up the one flight of stairs and down the hallway. Keith's apartment was the very end one. I just opened the door. Keith knew we were here, he wasn't going to mind if we just walked in. Keith was sitting on his living room floor, boxes scattered the floor. He was stacking all of his movies into a box.

“What are you doing Keith?” Marque asked. Keith looked up at us. Then looked at all the boxes scattered around his apartment.

“Oh...I guess I haven't told you.” Keith said,”I'm moving into a different apartment.”

“You're moving out of here?” Marque asked. Keith nodded.

“Too many memories.” Keith said, almost bitterly.

“Well, that's good Keith!” I said. “It's about time you moved on.”

“I think so too.” Keith smiled.

Marque and I offered to help him pack, but he preferred to pack on his own. Keith said that if others helped him, it would take a lot longer to pack everything. We went home soon after. Marque decided to go over to Jazz and Matt's. I had a little bit of work to do. I was taking an online course for Fine Arts and for Human Services.

A few days had gone by, Keith had finally moved into his new apartment. It was on the opposite side of Vancouver, away from everyone else. It was almost heading out of the city. I was happy Keith was finally starting to move on from everything that had happened. Another thing I had noticed was that Keith had picked an apartment that was relatively close to Josie's apartment.

The rain was pouring down that night. I was sitting by a window, watching the rain splatter against it. In a way, the sound of rain was soothing. Except when it sounded like it could start a flood. That's when it worried me. Especially when I was watching all the cars speed down the roads. I was also worried about Josline. She had gone out of the city to Abottsford to see Mariah and Ian. Josline was still a new driver, so she may of not of known how to drive in heavy rain. I may have been worrying too much, but I was a protective older brother. I had every right to be.

“Airin, can you come here and help me with this?” Marque called from the kitchen. I didn't really hear him until he was right by my side. “Airin?” Marque clasped his hand on my shoulder, and I jumped. I looked up at him, and he could see a worried expression on my face. “Airin, what's wrong?” he asked me. I looked back out the window.

“I'm worried.”

“About who?” I turned my head back to Marque.

“Josline.” Marque looked a little shocked at what I had just said.

“Oh, don't tell me you're worried about Josline and Joshes relationship. I don't think they'll have a problem, because they have Finely...”

“No, Marque! I'm not worried about her driving outside right now.” I said. Marque squeezed my shoulder lightly.

“She'll be fine.” Marque said, trying to comfort me. “Now, come help me with dinner.” Marque walked back to the kitchen. I hesitated to leave the spot I had been in for at least 2 hours. I stood up, shoving my cell phone in my back pocket. I walked into the kitchen, and Marque was setting out all the ingredients for a vegan potato salad. I did love Marque, but when I had to sacrifice real mayo, milk, or cheese, it just wasn't the same. Marque had me peeling the carrots. Marque never did like peeling vegetables. He really hated cooking, but he would do it anyways.

I had gotten through about 2 carrots when my phone started to ring. I put down the peeler and answered, tucking the phone under my ear and shoulder. “Hello?” I answered, continuing to peel the carrots.

“Airin?” It was Joshes voice. It was shaking, like he was crying. I stopped peeling the carrots, holding the phone up properly to my face.

“Josh, what's wrong?” I asked.

“It's Josline.”

My heart stopped. I knew I was worrying for a reason. A million and one thoughts were racing through my mind. It took me a while to actually ask Josh my next question. “What...what happened to her?” I set down the peeler on the counter, pressing my hand against the edge of it.

“She was in a...car accident. She's in the hospital right now.” Josh could barely get out the words he was trying to say. It felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I felt my legs get shaky, and I knew if I didn't grab onto anything, I would fall over. I had to lean myself against the counter to stop myself from falling.

“Josh, I'm going to be there in a few minutes.” Josh told me what hospital they were at. I hung up my phone, putting it back in my pocket. I nearly ran towards the door.

“Airin, what's wrong?” Marque called after me.

“I KNEW I had a reason for being worried about my sister!” Was all I said. I grabbed my keys and left the apartment, without even telling Marque where I was going. I booked it down the stairs, jumping the last few. I got into my car, starting it, and then pulled out of the parking lot of the apartment complex. “You better be alright Josline. You better fucking be alright.” I said under my breath.

The whole way to the hospital, I was scared. I didn't want to walk in and find out my sister had died. I didn't know if I would be able to comprehend that. It took about an hour to get from my apartment to the hospital.I felt automatically nervous when I stepped into the hospital. I walked up to the front desk. An older woman, with horn-rimmed glasses peered over at me. “Hello, what can I do for you?”

“I'm here to see my sister. Josline Jaulby.” I said. My leg started to shake. The woman started typing away at her keyboard, making my nervousness grow.

“Oh, yes. She's on the third floor. Room 342.” The woman smiled at my relieved expression. I said thank you and made my way up to the room, taking the elevator. I scanned the numbers on the doors, finally coming across 342. I took in a sharp inhale of breath and peeked into the room. Josline was sitting up in her bed, talking to Josh, who was sitting in a chair next to the bed. I knocked on the door frame, and Josh looked up. He immediately got out of his chair and walked over to me. I hugged him. That was all I could think of doing.

“That was a lot longer than a few minutes.” Josh joked in my ear.

“Well, excuse me for not being entirely correct!” I joked back. I let go of Josh and started to walk towards my sister. Josh was almost directly by my side. That's when I noticed the blood on Josline's forehead. I felt light headed. I grasped onto Josh's shoulder, pressing my other hand against my forehead. I couldn't handle blood very well, even if it was a little bit. Ever since I tried to kill myself, I did not mix well with blood.

“Airin, what is it?” Josh asked quietly. I stood up straight.

“Nothing.” I grimaced.

“Oh, Airin...blood. Right.” Josline said. Her voice was hoarse. I looked over at her. She was frowning apologetically. She started looking around for something.

“Josh, where's my hoodie?” She said, looking at Josh.

“You mean the one that has blood on it?” Josh frowned, causing Josline to frown again.

“It's okay Josline, I can tough it out.” I said. I walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge. Then, I noticed the little car seat-carried-thing that Finely was always in. “Oh, hey little guy! I haven't seen you in a while.” I took Finley out of the carrier and sat him down on my lap. He started playing with the strings on my hoodie. “So...Josline, how are you? Are you okay?” I asked. Josh sat down in the chair again. I noticed Josline was keeping her head slightly turned, so I didn't have to see the bloody bandage on her forehead.

“I hit my head on the steering wheel. It cause some brain damage. I broke my left hand. The doctor said I'd have to learn to use my left hand again.” My sister explained. Josline was left handed. “Josh is telling me that I'll be able to do it in no time though.” Josline smiled at Josh.

At least their spirits were up.
♠ ♠ ♠
You should know how I work by now! I make everything all happy...THEN I FUCK UP EVERYONE'S LIVES! XD