Status: Completed. Go subscribe to I Hate Myself Without You

Cross My Heart

Secondary Parents

Josh was still in a little bit of amazement by the time we left the doctors office. Josh offered to take me to a late lunch, which I accepted, because I was hungry. I called Airin and told him how the appointment went. I swear I could hear him doing a happy dance when I told him the baby was going to be a boy. When I talked to Marque, all he said was "awe" and "take that Josh!" I was glad Marque was going to officially be part of my family.

We stopped at this little cafe for a quick bite. Josh was talking about something Matt had said to him a few days ago, when my phone started ringing. Josh stopped his story to let me answer my phone. "Hello?"

"Hi Jaws." the unusually cheerful voice of Mariah said. I hadn't talked to Mariah in a little while. She had slowly started to get back into my life. And she had been living in Vancouver, with Ian. I didn't know if they were a couple or not though...

"Oh, hi Mariah. What's up?" I asked.

"I was just out for a walk with Marque." Mariah said.

"Oh, really? How'd that go?" I asked Mariah, glancing up at Josh, who was now eating his sandwhich.

"Pretty fun actually. We asked Airin to come with us, but he went to visit Jazz and Matt instead." I never expected Jazz and Mariah to become friends. They may not of been best friends, but they were friends just the same.

"Oh, that's cool. Oh, Rye?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you still with Marque?" I asked her.

"Yeah, we're at my place right now. He's talking to Ian. Why?"

"Can you just tell Marque, right now, that it's a boy?" I asked Mariah.

"Um, sure..." She sounded confused. "Marque!" She yelled. She sounded much more quiet, most likely because she was holding the phone away from her face.

"What?" I heard Marque call back.

"Jaws told me to tell you that 'it's a boy'." Mariah said. There was silence for a few seconds.

"OH MY GOD! LET ME TALK TO HER!" Josh even heard that, because he stopped eating to look strangely at me and my phone. "Jaws?" Marque sounded out of breath, like he had been running to get to the phone. "Are you serious? It's a boy?" Marque asked.

"Yeah. It is."

"I was SO right! Take that Ramsay!" he said, making me laugh. "Okay, that's all I wanted to say." Marque said. The next thing I heard was Mariah's giggling.

"He sure is a strange one." Mariah said through fits of giggles.

"Yeah...but I love him." I said.

After lunch, Josh and I were just driving around for a little bit. I think Josh was honestly speechless, and it was weird. "So..." I finally said when the silence was too much.

"Okay, I've been thinking a lot." Josh said.

"In the past 2 hours we've been with one another?" I asked.

"Yes. I've been thinking about Jazz and Matt a fair bit." Josh said.

"Yeah, what about them?" I asked, putting my sunglasses ontop of my head.

"Well, you know how Jazz...well...yeah." Josh said, trying to avoid the topic. Josh and Jazz had become really good friends since Josh and I got back together. I could tell it was a little painful for Josh to talk about how Jazz wouldn't be here in a few years. Matt and Marque avoided the topic completely. I nodded for Josh to go on. "Well, they might not have enough time to have any kids of their own..."

"Josh, I'm not giving them our baby." I said.

"No, that's not what I meant." Josh sighed slightly. "I meant...since both Jazz and Matt are our best friends...okay, I don't know how to word is properly."

"Then just flat out say it." I said, starting to feel kind of anxious.

"Do you like the idea of them being our sons Godparents?" Josh's question took me by surprise. "I mean, it would give them a chance to be parents, even if they're 'secondary' parents." I still didn't know how to answer. "You don't like that idea do you?"

"No, I do like that idea..." I said.

"Then what's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong...but Josh? When did you become so sweet?" I smiled at him.

"When I met you." I felt my face burn up slightly. "So, do you like that idea?" Josh repeated.

"Yes. I do. We should go tell them. We're on their street anyways." I said. Josh nodded in agreement and soon pulled into a parking space at Matt and Jazz's apartment complex. We rang the buzzer, got let in and then walked up the three flights of stairs. By the time we got to the door, I was winded.I don't think being pregnant agreed with my daily activities much. Josh knocked on the door so I could catch my breath. Matt opened the door, looking confused, but happy that we were there. Jazz looked at Josh and I and then proceeded to hug us.

"So, what are you guys doing here?" Matt asked us. I plopped myself down on the couch. I forgot just how uncomfortable it was.

"Well, I had a doctors appointment today, and..." Josh cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

"It's a boy!" Josh said. I shot him an disaproving look.

"A...boy? You found out?" Jazz asked. Both Josh and I nodded. Jazz looked at Matt. "The baby is so going to look like Josh." Jazz smiled.

"Pft, no. Definitly going to look like Jaws. She's the good looking one out of the two." Matt smirked.

"Hey, I take offense to that!" Josh stated.

"We know you do." The other three of us said.

"So, what else are you here for?" Jazz asked. She always had a knack for knowing there was something else.

"Well, Josh and I were talking..." I saw Josh open his mouth to get right to the point. I quickly slapped my hand over his mouth to shut him up. Then, Josh being Josh, licked my hand. "Josh! Don't do that! That's gross!" I said, wiping my hand on his shirt. I looked back at Jazz and Matt who were both smiling at the dysfunction of Josh and I. "Anyways...we were talking and we wanted you two to..." I looked at Josh, who had an excited grin on his face. I sighed and motioned for him to say it.

"We want you to be our sons Godparents." Josh said. Both Matt and Jazz looked shocked.

"You mean...I get to be a fairy Godmother?" Jazz asked excitedly.

"Well, I was hoping Marque and Airin would cover the fairy part, but sure. You can be a fairy Godmother." I laughed. All three of us looked over at Matt, who seemed to be thinking quite hard.

"Matt... what about you?" Josh asked. Matt looked up between Josh and I for a few seconds, and then smiled.

"Sure. Why not?" Matt said. I smiled back at him, and hugs were then exchanged.

My son sure was going to be part of an EXTREMELY weird family now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor baby Jaulby-Ramsay. He's going to be born and be like "this is my family? Oh jeez..."