Status: Fin

A Life Worth Living

Family Ties

It had been exactly a week since my family and I had moved to La Push. It was finally Friday and my last day of work for the week. So as the clock approached two, I went to the back to retrieve my jacket and purse. I spotted Old Quil sitting in his favorite chair carving a wolf figurine out of wood.

“Hey, Old Quil, I’m gunna get going now. So I’ll see you,” I said as I put my jacket on.

“Oh, Delilah, wait! Before you go I was wondering if you and your family are still coming to the bonfire.” He questioned. I hap told Old Quil about my family predicament a few days ago. Well, more like I didn’t want to tell him, but he pulled it out of me.

~Flashback~

“So Miss Delilah, tell me about yourself, what’s your family like? I wanna get to know you better since you are going to be working for me,” said Old Quil with that ever prevalent smile on his face.

“Oh well um, there’s not much to me. I’m not a very interesting person,” I chuckled nervously.

'There has to be some way around this conversation. Maybe I can just bolt out of the store and Old Quil won’t say anything.'

“I don’t think I believe that. So how ‘bout your family. Who moved here with you?” he inquired.

'Okay answer this and then leave.'

'No I can’t do that Old Quil has been so nice to me, maybe I should just tell him.'

“Oh um, my four brothers and two sisters,” I admitted sheepishly. The number of siblings I have normally scares people off.

“Golly, that sure is a lot my dear. So who are your folks, maybe I know them…hmm…Kent doesn’t really sound that familiar. Perhaps I know your mother,” said Old Quil looking at me expectantly.

“Um, yeah, you probably knew her,” I said trying to brace myself for the upcoming turn in our conversation.

“Knew, as in past tense?” he questioned losing his smile for the first time since I met him.

'Darn, he sure is quick for an old guy'

“Yeah, past tense,” I paused and then took a big breath. “I don’t really like talking about it, but I feel you’re entitled to know as my employer and as my first friend here in La Push. So here goes…the real reason I moved here with my siblings is because…because both of my parents were killed in a car accident two years ago and then we were stuck living with my wretched Aunt Gertrude, but then I turned eighteen and was given full custody of all of my siblings,” I said in one big breath. It felt really good to get that off my chest and tell someone.

Old Quil had visibly tensed, “Oh Delilah, hunny I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you, Jesus I never would have imagined,” he spilled out looking close to tears himself.

“No, no you couldn’t possibly have known. My mother’s name was Lily Hill and she lived here all her life, well until she met my father when they were both eighteen. His name was Maxwell Kent. They got married here too and then they left to start there lives in Southern California,” I said, and once I had mentioned my mother’s name Old Quil’s head immediately perked up.

“You said Lily Hill, as in Summer and Bobby’s daughter,” I nodded when he mentioned my grandparents’ names. Grandma Summer or as I like to call her, Grams, left us the house we are living in now. Her and Gramps left to live in Florida, saying they needed some sun in their old age. “Oh, she always was a tiny thing that Lily. If I remember correctly she had all the boys running after her. Billy Black, Charlie Swan and even my son tried to get her attention, but I always knew she wanted bigger and better things. A prince to wisk her off, is what I think Summer always said. Oh but she sure was beautiful, I can’t believe I didn’t see it before. You look just like her, just with blue eyes. I’m guessing those are from your father. Delilah, dear you know if you need anything you can always count on me and anyone in La Push, we all loved your mother deeply,” Old Quil said. At the end of his speech I felt like I might fall apart right here. I couldn’t talk about my mom anymore it was tearing me up inside.

'I’ve got to get out of here'

“Thanks Old Quil, it means a lot, but I should really get going now. I’ve gotta make the family dinner and all that you know,” I said, pulling at any excuses so I could leave as fast as possible.

“Oh, of course dear. How about you and your family come to the bonfire this weekend there will be food, people and stories that I’m sure you’d all like. I’m pretty sure you haven’t met that many people around here yet,” Old Quil stated with his smile starting to make its way back onto his face.

“Um yeah, sure. We’ll be there. See you!” I yelled as I bolted out the door not even waiting for his response.

~End Flashback~

“Yeah, we’re still coming Old Quil. I’ll see you then,” I said sullenly. I didn’t want to go, but I didn’t want to let Old Quil down and all of my siblings seemed really interested in going.

“See You!” Old Quil called as I left.

'Now the only thing left is to mentally prepare myself for sympathetic eyes and awkward conversations'
♠ ♠ ♠
So, yeah, that was number 4. Please comment and subscribe!!