‹ Prequel: Why Me?

The Screams Have Ended

Sweet Love Again

~Gustav‘s POV~

I sighed trying to read while I waited for the girls, mainly D.B., to get home. After a few more failed attempts I finally admitted defeat and decided to just try to get some sleep.

I was nearly asleep when I heard someone walking by mine and D.B.’s room softly singing in Russian.

I was going to dismiss it as Verna but her and Georg’s room are on the floor below us.

Wanting to know who the unknown voice belonged to I tiredly got out of bed and walked into the hallway.

I looked around, eyes barely focusing on what the dim light allowed me to see. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone enter the nursery.

I groggily followed and saw D.B. holding Jeeremy, swaying gently back and forth as she quietly sang a Russian song.

I blinked not entirely believing my ears or eyes. But I couldn’t deny the voice I heard was D.B.’s because her lips were moving ever so slightly.

I blinked again and slowly made my way back to the room. I must be dreaming I had to fall asleep while reading or sometime after.

It had to be a dream, I’ve had many dreams like this and it only made the truth of reality even worse.

“Gustav.” I stopped at the side of the bed, sighing and shaking my head.

I hope I wake up soon because this dream felt all too real.

“Gustav.” I felt a hand on my shoulder that forced my body to go stiff.

I slowly turned around, eyes still closed.

The hand disappeared from my shoulder and was placed on my cheek. That hand felt way too real.

“Gustav, open your eyes.”

I did as the voice told me and slowly opened my eyes to see the gorgeous face of my wife.

“This isn‘t a dream is it?” I asked hopeful yet terrified.

How was I supposed to get used to this? It’s not as though I don’t want to hear her speak but after getting used to the silence and her-

“No, its not.” she said softly.

I smiled shakily, “Good.”

Then darkness.

~D.B.’s POV~

I watched slightly amused, shocked and concerned as Gustav slumped backwards to the ground.

I flinched at the noise his head made as he hit the floor.

“Verna told me that would happen.” I mumbled to myself.

My throat was already starting to feel scratchy and constricted. I put a strain on it to talk to Gustav which I hadn’t planned on doing for maybe another few weeks. But that’s only because I’m a coward.

I kneeled next to Gustav and rubbed his cheek. I hope he’s alright; he did hit the floor kinda hard.

I placed his head in my lap still rubbing at his cheek. “Gustav.” I whispered trying to keep my voice low but still wake him.

I patted at his cheek still chanting his name. I did that until he groaned and opened his eyes.

I smiled down at him and he smiled back but his face contorted in pain as he winced.

“Ow, what happened?” he mumbled, sitting up and rubbing the back of his head.

“You fainted.” I mumbled helping him standing up and sit beside him on the bed.

“Why?” he asked probably not really thinking. He obviously hit his head harder than I thought he did.

I keep quiet for two reasons. The first I couldn’t talk anymore unless I wanted to have a sore throat tomorrow and the second because I wanted him to figure it out for himself.

It took a little longer than I expected but he finally looked at me with wide surprised eyes.

~Gustav‘s POV~

“Did you say something?” I asked. Not really sure if I’m hearing things because of the knot on the back of my head or because D.B. actually spoke.

“Yes.” she said but it seemed to take her a bit of effort to do so.

I frowned, “It hurts you doesn‘t it.” I stated more than asked.

“A little.” Her voice was starting to get lower, so low I could barely hear her.

“Then you shouldn‘t push it.” I said pulling her close and nuzzling the side of her neck.

We stayed like that for a while just enjoying being in each others arms.

“Let’s get some sleep.” I said scooting back further onto the bed taking her with me.

We lay there on top of the covers slowly drifting off.

I was just trying to process this new information. I’m sure it would be easier if I didn’t have a massive headache and was half asleep.

~D.B.’s POV~

I looked up at Gustav who seemed to be in deep thought.

I of course was thinking of what he could possibly be thinking about.

Would he leave? Does this change anything? Does he like my voice? Will he want me to speak more often?

I snapped out of my thoughts when I felt his lips pressing against my forehead and his fingers trailing smoothly over my throat.

He slowly placed loving kisses down my forehead, between my eyes, down my nose and finally on my lips. I immediately responded, my earlier thoughts forgotten.

“I love you.” he breathed out, his soft eyes holding my gaze.

I swallowed and pushed the words from my sore throat forcing them to stay smooth, “I love you too.”

Gustav smiled the widest smile I ever seen him smile. Wider than the one at our wedding and the one he smiled at me when he met Jeeremy.

~Gustav‘s POV~

I pulled her closer never wanting to release her.

After wanting to hear her voice since we first met three years, I do believe that hearing it now made it sound all the more sweeter.

I do believe I‘ve fallen in love again.