Broken Down on Memory Lane Alone, Together Alone

I’ve always had a soft spot for losers

“I ended up making breakfast the next morning for all of us before the guys got up,” I scratched the back of my head, “and I believe Sonny apologized.”

Mara was now helping me dust everything in the kitchen. Which wasn’t much of a task, as I didn’t have much stiff in the kitchen. It wasn’t really one of my favourite rooms, even if I did spend a lot of time in there baking.

“I don’t understand,” Mara looked up at me in confusion, “Grammpy wasn’t nice to you?”

“He was a strange boy, “I shrugged, “I never really saw much of him after that night, which honestly suited me just fine.”

“Then how did you end up together?”

I rolled my eyes playfully and slightly pushed her with my hip, “I thought you just wanted to know how we met?”

“I did.”

“And I told you.”

“But now I want to know how you got together,” she looked at me pleadingly.

I knew she’d probably want me to cut right to the chase, and if I did there wouldn’t be much of a story. And I was always one to tell a good story. I was an author after all, stories where my life.

“You two!” Sonny said as he suddenly burst through the door, he looked quite excited, “follow me.”

He rushed off in the direction of the music room. Mara looked startled, then cast me a confused glance. I just shrugged and motioned for her to lead the way. We found him seated at the piano looking rather impatient, but happy none the less.

“Ready?” he asked, as Mara and I took a seat on the couch.

“And waiting,” I smiled.

He flashed us that award-winning smile that used to make all the girls swoon, before launching right into the song. It was very pretty, but it reminded me of November Rain by Gun’s N’ Roses. Which he probably wasn’t going to be all too happy to hear. Sonny’s voice was still as beautiful as the first day I had heard it. I could never figure out why he never sang in his band, he was much better then Steven was.

“What do you think?” he asked when he finished.

“That was crazy good, gramps,” Mara grinned.

“I agree,” I smiled, “but-“

“Oh no,” he groaned and rolled his eyes.

“If you don’t want my opinion-“

“No, you know I do. Lets have it.”

“It sounds like November Rain-“

“Shut up!” he groaned as he overdramatically smacked his head against the piano keys, “why does everyone keep saying that?”

“Because it does,” I chuckled, I knew how mad he was, he hated Guns N’ Roses.

“Why them!” he cried in annoyance, like I knew he would, “why? Of all bands! Why them?”

I shrugged, “I duno… but I’m going to start supper.”

I got up from my seat and made my way back out to the kitchen, Mara hot on my heals. I could tell she was itching to ask me something… or she just wanted to get away from Mr. mopie pants.

I opened the fridge to see what we had for food, “how does a chicken caesar salad sound to you?”

“Good,” Mara smiled, “so…”

“He hates Guns N’ Roses cuz I said I’d like to fuc-I mean… have sexual intercourse with the bass player,” I handed her the container of chicken left over from last nights supper, “he’s the jealous type… and sometimes takes it to the extremes.”

She nodded in understanding, as Sonny entered the room. He looked happy again. So I could only assume he had vandalised something that has Duffs face on it. As pointless as most would find it, it made him feel better. The world was a better place when Sonny was happy, cuz he was the biggest pain in the ass when he wasn’t. So any means of getting him in a good mood suited me just fine, no matter how childish.

“Is there anything I can do?” he asked

“You can both sit there and not get in my way,” I smiled at them both as I grabbed my cutting board and set to work, not that making a salad was work.

I brought everything over to the table and let them serve themselves. We all made small talk. Sonny talked about how recording was going. Mara told us about school. And I once again just listened happily. Nothing really happened with me, I had just been cleaning all week.

“Gram?” Mara asked as she finished her salad.

“Yeah?”

“Well… now I know how you met Grammpy,” we both looked over at Sonny, he looked like he was racking his brain to remember how we met. Which sadly wasn’t surprising. Drugs and alcohol were his best friends back then, no matter how much he tried to deny it. You couldn’t be that strung out and not have people notice, “so I was wondering how you met Dravin?”

Sonny visibly tensed up at the mere mentioning of Dravin, and snapped; “who cares.”

I rolled my eyes. Sonny liked to believe that he was the only man I’d ever been with. And he was happy believing that. So to bring up anyone I’d been with in the past was like pouring salt into an open wound.

“That’s a story best saved for another time,” I smiled at her; I could see she was startled by Sonny’s mood swing.

“Or never,” Sonny murmured, as there was a knock on the door, “I’ll get it.”

“So… can I come back next Saturday?” Mara asked as she watched Sonny open the door and let Anakin in.

“Of course,” I grinned, then leaned closer to her and whispered, “but it’s best to not mention any of my past boyfriends in front of your grandfather… he’s obviously a bit touchy.”

She laughed, “gee, I never noticed.”

“You ready to go?” Anakin asked as he came over and gave me a kiss on my cheek.

“Yup,” Mara got up and gave me a hug, “thanks for having me over.”

“Psh,” I grinned as she let go and walked over to Sonny and gave him a hug, “you make it sound like you’re a bother.”

“Well…” Ani trailed off.

I smacked his leg and laughed, “don’t even try and make me think otherwise.”

“Alright,” he grinned, “well, lets get going.”

With that, Anakin and Mara left. I cleared the table and began to wash the dishes; Sonny just silently sat on the counter and watched me. He was being a little creepy about it. I really wasn’t sure what he was doing, which was new. I usually always knew what was going through his head. Years of being together made it easy for me to read his expressions or tone of voice, so I could tell what he was really thinking or saying.

“Sonny,” I looked over at him as I pulled the plug in the sink, “you’re starting to freak me out…”

He chuckled and pushed himself off of the counter, he pulled me into a loving hug, “how did I get so lucky? I was the biggest loser, yet I managed to get the most amazing girl.”

I couldn’t help but grin up at him, “well… I’ve always had a soft spot for losers.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Spider Blossom, KillThePoor, and ookamiko for commenting! You guys are the best! :D