Girl I Know

Chapter 12

Melody didn’t come out of the bunk until the show started. She never got a response from Blade to her text message nor did he return her phone call. As she stood by the side of the stage waiting for Fiction to go on she caught sight of him walking with Lyric and yelled out his name. He looked over in her direction, but quickly looked away when he saw it was her that called him. In her mind she wondered what the hell was going on and why he was ignoring her all of a sudden. When they parted after breakfast this morning everything was fine, until 1pm when she went to the bus and he went to meet his father for lunch. It made her wonder what happened between Zacky and Blade.

“Boo!”

Melody turned towards the voice behind her and met Dante’s smiling face.

“You shouldn’t sneak up on people like that!” she scolded him and he knew she wasn’t in the mood for jokes.

“Sorry, I just thought you could use a little bit of light hearted fun” He rocked back on his heels with his hands in his pockets.

“Do you know something I don’t?”

“What do you mean?” he asked knowing damn well what she was talking about.

“Why is Blade treating me like I don’t exist?”

His eyes dropped to the floor. “Yeah I don’t think I should be the one to answer that”

Melody nodded “Great, so you’re all against me”

“No, I never said that”

“You didn’t have to say it. It’s fine whatever”

“I have to go, we’re supposed to go on in 5 minutes.”

Melody nodded, but didn’t say anything. When the show finally did start, she watched for a little while, but walked away when she couldn’t stand it anymore. Blade had promised her he would wear the shirt she made for him and instead he opted for a Shout At The Devil era Motley Crue t-shirt.

She walked back to the bus while her shadow Matt Berry followed behind her to make sure she wasn’t going anywhere near the Fiction bus.

Melody….

I walked back onto the Avenged bus and went straight to my bunk. It was time to call for back up. If Matt, Zacky and Fuckhead aka Dad wanted to play hardball with my heart, then I can guarantee I was going to hit back and knock the fucking ball right out of the park.

I sat in my bunk and took out my cell phone and made the first phone call.
It only took 10 minutes and when I hung up I felt like my old self again. The vindictive, spoiled rotten little bitch who gets what ever she wants whatever the cost. Well, the price for my happiness was pretty high this time.

The second phone call took twice as long, but once we got in to the who the what and the why, I needed say no more before I had another one in my corner. After hanging up, I dialed the next number.

This one wasn’t going to need any convincing at all. All I had to do was mention that I needed help and that was it, it was done. All hell would break loose tomorrow if this one had their way. Now, there was only one left.

I didn’t dial the last person right away because I heard noise outside. It had been nearly an hour since I had gone back to the bus so it could be Fiction. I climbed out of my bunk and walked up front to the lounge so I could could get a better view from the windows up there. Sure enough, there they were standing outside their bus signing autographs and talking to girls. When I looked at Blade he was looking right at me and when he saw me looking at him, he put his arm around some groupie’s shoulder and turned his attention to her.

I could feel the tears well up in my eyes as I sat back once again feeling defeated. Fuck you too I muttered as I dialed the last number. As I sat there on there on the phone pouring my heart out while the tears painted little clear tracks all over my face, I knew he could see me and I didn’t care. He told me he loved me and if he really loved me, he would tell them all to go fuck themselves so fuck him. The person on the other end of the phone was so angry and that is what I wanted. The phone call lasted almost two hours and when I hung up it was just as Matt and Fuckhead had walked back onto the bus.

“Melody, why are you crying?” It was Matt who sat down beside me and asked the question. Fuckhead didn’t even have the decency.

“Oh don’t worry Matty, I won’t be crying anymore after tomorrow”

“Matty?” he looked at me and raised his eyebrow as if I had spoken out of line.

“Yeah, that’s what I said.”

“Don’t you mean Uncle Matt?”

I shook my head. “No, You may be married to my mother’s sister, but you aren’t my family anymore.” He looked at me like I just slapped him across the face.

“Melody!” Fuckhead yelled my name and I just shot him a nasty look.

“Yes, Brian?”

“What did you call me?” he was shocked that I used his first name. It wasn’t as funny as it was when I was three and called him that because I heard everyone else say it.

“Brian, that is your name isn’t it?”

He shook his head and walked over to the bar to make himself a drink. It was going to be a long night with just the three of us on the bus while everyone else was sleeping in the hotel. I refused to look back out the window afraid of what would meet my eyes, I knew they were all still out there and it hurt every time I looked at him.

“I don’t think you should be speaking to us like that” Matt stood up and did the usual Matt stance with his arms folded thinking he would intimidate me. Ha! Yeah, sure.

“I think you got hit with a stupid stick” after having the last word I got up and walked to my bunk where I stayed and didn’t speak a word to either one of them for the rest of the night.

--

Matt…

When I woke up, I looked down at my watch and saw the time. It was nearly noon. Brian and I had stayed up as late as we could keep our eyes open waiting for Melody to turn her light out and go to sleep. Neither of us was willing to take the chance that she would sneak out.

I got up out of my bunk and went to get something to drink; my tongue felt like it was wearing a sweater. Brian was already awake and sitting up front watching television. Melody must be sound asleep and she could stay that way. I wasn’t going to wake up the she-devil after the way she spoke last night. Now, I could see why Brian slapped her.

It wasn’t long before Zacky, Johnny and Jimmy joined us on the bus and the five of us sat going over things that we liked about the show so far and things that we wanted to change or improve on. We had been about a half hour into our conversation before we heard the knock on the door of the bus. Zacky being the closest got up to open the door.

“Wow” I heard him whisper and then he stepped back as four people we never expected to see walked right up onto the bus.

First came Seven followed by Sydney, then Aubrey and last, but not least Stormy. They all stood there in a row stone faced with their arms folded across their chests and sunglasses on their faces hiding their eyes. It was like every single one of them was mocking me.

“What are you all doing here?” I asked the obvious question.

“Aren’t you happy to see me, honey?” Sydney asked me and I was scared to answer.

“Yes, of course, I just wasn’t expecting you” Like the dutiful husband I was, I walked over to my wife and kissed her and then hugged my daughter.

Brian never took his eyes off Stormy, but she hadn’t given him the time of day yet.
They all sat together on one of the benches and it was as if you could hear a pin drop.

My wife started the conversation “So, I guess you want to know why we are here. Each one of us got a very disturbing phone call last night. Since Seven got the first one, I think we’ll let her go first”

I turned my gaze to my daughter who had removed her sunglasses from her face and I waited for her to speak. “So last night I got a phone call from Melody who told me that you conned her into believing that I was interested in her designs for the Skeleton Keys brand. She said you tricked her into thinking I was here just to get her on the bus and keep her away from Blade.”

“wait a minute!” I held up my hand to speak, but it was clear when all four of them shot me a death glare that they wanted me to shut up.

“So, I am here to tell you that you have no right to stand in the way of love and with that being said. I quit the Skeleton Keys. You know designing is Melody’s dream and you used that against her too. So, you can take your company and shove it up your ass”

I couldn’t believe that my own daughter just bitch slapped me. She stood up as if she was getting ready to leave. “I’m going to visit my husband while I’m here.” And that was all she said before she walked off the bus.

“My turn” Zacky swallowed hard when his Aubrey started to speak. “Melody called me and told me that while she was conned into getting on the bus, you had lunch with Blade and after that lunch Blade wouldn’t so much as look at her let alone speak with her.”

And then she looked at me. This wasn’t even my kid, but I seemed to be getting the full wrath here. “My son wouldn’t tell me what this was about, but your son did and I have to say Matt, my husband is smart, but sometimes he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed and there is no way this was his doing. So what ever you did you better undo, because if my son isn’t happy, I’m not happy and if I’m not happy that means Zacky isn’t going to be happy for a very long time.

After realizing that it was now my wife’s turn to speak, I suddenly wished I could hide in a closet somewhere. This wasn’t going to be pretty.

“Matthew Charles Sanders what the hell is wrong with you?”

“I…”

“That was a question that doesn’t warrant an answer.” She stood up and walked right up to me as if she were ten feet tall and bullet proof. “You had no right to play with Melody’s heart. She’s 18 years old and she has loved that boy since she was 5. You of all people should know what it feels like to be so in love with someone that you don’t want to live without them” she started poking my chest with every word. “How could you?”

Ok now she’s beginning to piss me off. “Sydney” the tone of my voice should have been enough of a warning.

“Don’t you Sydney me, you big bitch” When Zacky and Jimmy snickered Sydney turned and glared at both of them and they stopped immediately. “You held Blade’s career over his head and ripped two people apart who were meant to be together. You may be the all might M. Shadows on that stage, but if you ever bring M. Shadows off that stage and let him throw his weight around like that again, I swear to God, I will leave you and then you can see for yourself how Melody and Blade feel right now.”

Wow, I never ever thought she would threaten to leave me because of this. Maybe it did go to far. It got really quiet on the bus and everyone turned their gaze to Stormy. We all knew that she would by far be the most pissed off and if what Sydney just said to me was bad, I can only imagine what she has to say to Brian. She took off her sunglasses and looked right into his eyes.

“I’m only here to take my daughter home and to give you this” she handed him a blue packet. One I had been all too familiar with because I had given one of those to Sydney twice. “I want a divorce, now please go get my daughter so we can leave”

“Fuck” I whispered.

Brian sat there devastated and didn’t say a word. He just stared down at the papers she had given him and then looked back at her, but her gaze was on me. Yes, I could have talked some sense into Brian, but I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt and take his side for once.

“Stormy, can’t we talk about this?” he pleaded with her, but she wasn’t interested.

“Please go get my daughter” was all she said and she directed that at me not Brian.

I nodded and started for the back of the bus…

--

Melody…

The Night Before…

I lay down and tried to go to sleep, but I couldn’t. No matter how I tried, I just couldn’t get Blade out of my mind. After about another 20 minutes it started to quiet down and I peeked out the blinds that covered the window in my bunk and instantly wished I didn’t.
I saw Blade and Dante walking back towards the hotel with two girls. I couldn’t understand how he could do that to me after the night we just shared together.

There is no way I could stay and endure anymore of this. So, I pulled out my sketchbook and my pencil and wrote yet another note.

“To all who may or may not care,

I’ve had enough of the games you’ve all played with my head, not to mention my heart. So, I’m going home to live MY LIFE on MY TERMS. Every one of you think you know what’s best for me, but I am the only one who truly knows what is best for me. I hope you all know what you stole from me and maybe one day you’ll actually realize your mistake.

For my Father, Matt and Zacky, I hope you never have to feel the pain that you have all inflicted on me. And as for Blade, I hope I never see you again as long as I live.

Everyone happy now?

Xo
Melody”


When I finished writing the note, I ripped the paper out of my book and folded it in half. I turned out the light in my bunk and waited for Matt and my father to go to sleep, which took forever, but eventually, they both started snoring. I didn’t waist any time in taking only a few things and shoving them into a backpack. I wasn’t going to be able to carry my suitcase so I only grabbed what I would need just to get home.

Quietly, I tip toed off to the front of the bus and pushed the door open. I’m surprised with the noise it made that it didn’t wake the both of them. So, I walked out into the night and never looked back.

--

Back to Matt…

I called Melody’s name from outside her bunk, but she didn’t answer me. I didn’t know if it was because she wasn’t speaking to me or because she was still sleeping. I called her name one more time before pulling back the curtain on her bunk.

There were two things in her bunk and neither one of those things was Melody. I picked them both up and held one in my hand while I opened the other. When I finished reading the note she left, I knew I was in for it now. She was gone.

Here goes nothing. I walked back up to the front without Melody and handed the note to Brian. Brian read the note and when he was done he set it down in his lap and dropped his head back against the top of the bench.

“What is it?” Stormy asked, but he didn’t answer. She leaned forward and read the note while Sydney and Aubrey read it over each of her shoulders.

Stormy looked at Brian with sadness in her eyes and if she were close enough she probably would have slapped him. “Are you happy now?”

He didn’t answer her, he just got up and walked to the back of the bus, but returned not even a minute later. “She couldn’t have gone very far, she didn’t take her insulin with her”

Each one of them looked at him knowing that this wasn’t going to end well.

"She left something else with the note" I said taking the attention off of him and turning it back to me. I opened my hand and held out the Skeleton Key for all to see.