Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 10.

“So you’re the girl Nick dumped me for?” Grace asked me once my dad had left.
I sat on big bed with a blue and green comforter while she remained on her flower rug, stretching her legs.
I didn’t answer. I examined her instead.

Her room was actually pretty pleasant. Compared to the rest of the house, it made me feel normal. There was a huge, black, fuzzy carpet covering a majority of the floor. On top of that rug there were many littler ones, like the flower rug she was seated on right now. Her bed had a mosquito net thing covering it, hanging from the ceiling. The walls were spray painted and written on in different styles, colors, languages and fonts. Her lampshade looked as if it was made of random fabric scraps sewed together. She had a golden, foot tall Buddha statue in the corner of her room. She had one wall covered in posters of The Beatles, The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, Joy Division, and Johnny Cash. She was artsy to say the least.

“I don’t not like you, you know that right?” Gracie said, glancing up at me quickly.
I sighed, “Why?”
She shook her head, “It’s not your fault that Nick likes you more, you know? I mean, you guys were together for a while.”
I stopped her, “We were never- have never- been together.”
She cocked her head to the side, “Well the way he talked about you it sure seemed like it.”

Gracie was gorgeous. Her long, blond hair was mussed a bit, giving it a look like she just rolled out of bed, even though she hadn’t. She had a tiny, Monroe-like mole on the right side of her face. Her skin was pretty pale, but in an elegant way, not disgusting at all. Her blue eyes were mesmerizing and she was tall. Her long legs were stretched across the space between our beds.

“I’m sorry,” I spoke timidly.
A small smile graced her lips, “It’s okay. I really am over it now. I’m trying to find someone new.”
I chuckled lightly, “You bounce back fast.”
She shrugged, “I feel like there’s not point in wasting time if he doesn’t want it, right?”
I nodded, agreeing completely.

She sighed, “Want to go somewhere and do something? I don’t know.”
I nodded, “What did you have in mind?”
She smiled at me widely, obviously with an idea brewing in her mind.


“Miri, this is Alan , Greg , and Harley,” Grace gestured to three cute boys sitting at a table at In N Out, sipping on sodas, “Guys, this is my step-sister, Miri.”

I waved awkwardly. In response, Alan gave me a small wave and a smile, Harley sent a nod my way and Greg was the only one to speak, “Where you from?”
I made my biggest attempt at a smile, “Oh, I’m visiting from Arizona.”
Alan smiled, “Is it as hot as people say it is?”
I chuckled, “You get used to it.”
He nodded.
“Isn’t that band from Arizona?” Harley asked.
I cocked my eyebrows at him, “There are a lot of bands from Arizona.”
Greg fired back at Harley, “The one’s we’re going to see next weekend?”

I looked between them quickly, thinking back to when my cousin’s band and The Maine were coming by. I knew the date was August 17th, but I didn’t think that was that soon.

“The Maine and whatnot?” Alan looked to his friends who nodded in response.
“Are we going?” I turned to Gracie.
She shrugged, “Do you want to go?”
“Well, I mean, I am going, they are my best friends and family. Are you going to go with me?”
Their eyes bugged out.
“What?” Greg asked excitedly.
I nodded slowly, I had never considered it a big deal that I was best friends with a band that my cousin was in, “My cousin plays in The Summer Set, I used to date the lead singer of The Maine, and the rest of them are just my friends.”

Gracie nodded, “Nick told me about it.”
I looked at her funny, “Really?”
She nodded, “We still keep in touch, just more like best friends now.”

“Wait wait, get back to Miri’s story, “Greg was eager, “Your cousin? What’s his name?”
“Josh,” I answered smoothly.
“Do you think we could meet all of them?” Harley asked quietly.

I laughed lightly, “Of course, they’re all great people.”
Alan stood up and hugged me lightly, “You’re my new favorite!”
I hugged him back and giggled.

I definitely like San Francisco…


“Starbucks run before we get you girlies home?” Greg asked, raising his eyebrows at all of us.
We all laughed at his expression before agreeing to his plans.

Alan placed an arm around my shoulder, “Coffee?”
I shook my head, “Coffee is nasty.”
He smiled, “Good thing we’re on the same page.”

Alan was cute, and not like the other guys I’ve been interested in.
Nick and John both had two similar styles. Alan, however, was different all together. His hair was brown and wavy, not quite as long as John’s. His eyes were dark brown, but not dull. He had this whole skater look going on. It was new and I liked it.

“Miri,” Gracie and Greg turned to look at me.
I looked at them funny, Alan’s arm still around me, “What?”
“What do you want?” Gracie laughed, rolling her eyes slightly.
“OH um…” I paused to take in the menu, “Peppermint hot chocolate and M&M Cookie.”
Alan bumped my hip lightly, “Fatty.”
I stuck my tongue out at him before dragging him over to the pick up counter.

“How long are you staying here?” Alan asked me after we received our drinks and were seated at a table for two.
I shrugged, “It all depends.”
He sipped his drink, “On?”
I nibbled on my cookie, “How things turn out at the show.”
He gave me a look.

And that was when I told him everything that had happened in my life and I didn’t mind it either.


“Soooo,” Gracie began when we were situated in her room.
She slipped off her day clothes before changing into plaid shorts and a hoodie. She put on her moccasins and sat on her bed, cross-legged and facing me. I had already changed into stripped pants and a hoodie .
I nodded at her to show I was listening.
“You like Alan,” It was more of a statement than a question.
I shook my head, “No.”

She rolled her eyes, “Stop lying to your self.”
I sighed and leaned my back against the wall, “I really, really like Nick, Gracie. And I like John too but after what I did to him…”
She sat up interestedly, “What did you do?”
I shook my head shamefully; “I cheated on him with Nick, twice…”
Grace’s eyebrows widened, “Why?”
I sighed again, “Nick was so special to me, Gracie. He was my world and then I had to leave, thinking I would never see him again. You would have thought I’d be over him after all these years but I’m not. He’s still my number one, but I don’t want to hurt John more than I already have.”
“He knows you cheated?”
I shrugged, “Not as far as I know.”

Now Gracie sighed before lifting up her sheets and slipping inside of them, “Night Miri.”
I copied her, “Night Gracie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
again; title is from San Francisco by Scott Mackenzie/McKenzie.

Be a dear and go check out lies; unanswered because her stories = fan-fucking-tastic and she comments a lot (much appreciated :D)
I love all my commenters. and subscribers, I can't say this enough.

I LOVE YOU ALL <3