Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 11.

“You have ice cream all over your face,” Alan chuckled at me, wiping a napkin across my lips.
When he finished I stuck out my tongue, “I’m a messy girl.”
He raised his eyebrows suggestively and I just hit him lightly on his shoulder, “Fuck you.”

He laughed again, now lacing his fingers with mine. The gesture was harmless. I liked him and he liked me. Why can’t we hold hands? However, a second after our hands met, I realized that this whole time I haven’t really thought about John or Nick.

I was silent and Alan caught on, “What’s wrong?”
I shrugged, “I just kind of miss Arizona, to be honest.”
Alan pouted, “I’ve never been to Arizona.”
I smiled, “I used to hate it, when I first moved. I wanted to stay in Ohio forever. Then I actually moved in with my cousin and became accustomed to the people around me.”
“Like John?” He asked awkwardly.
I nodded, “Mr. O’Callaghan. I do miss him, and them.”
Alan withdrew his hand from mine slowly, “Do you still like him?”
I shook my head, lacing our fingers once more, “I realized that I don’t. I loved him cause he was there for me and took my mind off of other things. I love him as my friend, but not otherwise.”

He smiled now, giving my hand a light squeeze.

“So, do you like anyone?” He asked nonchalantly.
I giggled, blushing slightly, “Maybe.”
I squeezed his hand back and he grinned.

“Do you want to go see a movie or something tonight? Just you and me?” Alan asked, turning to face me.
I sighed and nodded, “I’d really like that.”
He smiled, blushing, “I’ll pick you up at six?”
It took me a minute to realize that we were back at my dad’s house. Alan walked me home!
I nodded, “What are we going to do?”
He shrugged, “It’ll be a surprise.”
I pouted, begging him to tell me.
He shook his head, “No way, Jose,” he pecked my cheek and waved, “See you later, Miri.”
I waved, too surprised by his gesture to speak.

I waited until he had turned the corner of our block before heading back into my dad’s house.

I could get used to San Francisco.


“Well that was a disappointment,” I sighed, walking out of the theatre, hand in hand with Alan.
He chuckled, “I guess chick flicks aren’t your thing?”
I shrugged, “In Arizona I only had one friend that was a girl and even she was one of the guys.”
He nodded, “Want to go get something to eat?”
I jumped up excitedly, “I’m starving!”
He laughed again and put an arm around me, calming me down.

We headed over to the Cheesecake Factory, my favorite place, and were seated (surprisingly) almost immediately.

“What can I get for you two to drink?” The waiter, Paul asked after introducing himself.
“May I have a Sprite, please?” I asked as politely as possibly.
Paul nodded, “And for you?” He turned to Alan swiftly.
“Can I get a coke?” I laughed at his tone. He was mocking me.
Paul nodded, smiling, “I’ll be back in a bit with your drinks.”

When Paul had walked away I turned to Alan and sarcastically said, “You’re funny.”
He gave me the thumbs up, “You know it!”
I smiled, a light blush creeping onto my cheeks, while I looked down at my menu, deciding what to order, even though I already knew what I want.

“I’m going to get a hamburger,” Alan said proudly, folding up his menu and placing it in front of him, “And you?”
I smiled, “Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken.”
He returned the smile and said, “Are we going to get some cheesecake after?”
A grin as wide as a football field overtook my face, “Hells yeah.”
He laughed at my reaction, “Good, because I love me some cheesecake.”

I was about to speak when Paul came back with not only our drinks but a basket of bread as well, “Are you kids ready to order?”
We nodded solemnly, “I’ll have Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken, please?”
Paul nodded, “And you sir?”
“Just a hamburger please, medium rare,” Alan handed him our menus.
Paul nodded once more, “Your food will arrive shortly.”
Alan and I thanked him before his disappeared once again.

Alan and I talked and talked and talked. I felt like I knew just about everything about him already and I’ve only known him a few days. At least I know I’ve told him everything there is to know about me.
Our food arrived and we continued conversation while eating. My pasta was delicious to say the least and soon enough, we had the cheesecake menu in our hands.

I, unlike Alan, already knew what I wanted; what I always got.
“I think I’m going to have Snickers cheesecake, how about you?” Alan spoke finally after surveying the menu.
“I’m getting the Oreo cheesecake!” I said excitedly.
He laughed at my response, “Let’s get Paul back over here.”

Soon, my cheesecake was half gone and there was no way I could eat anymore. However, Alan had scarfed his down almost five minutes ago.
“You big baby,” He teased me, poking at my cheesecake.
I stuck out my tongue, “You can’t have any, I want to save it!”
He smiled before getting serious instantly, “So uh, your friends are coming this coming weekend…”
I nodded, “I’m excited.”
He sighed, “Can I be honest?”
I chortled, “I’d prefer it.”
A slight smile appeared on his features, “I like you a lot, Miri. I’ve known you almost three days and I really like you so far.”
“So far,” I repeated, “Keep hanging around me, you’ll get sick of me.”
He grinned this time, “Then I guess I should say goodbye.”
“Nooo!” I whined, “Take me home, baby.”
He winked, placing the check on the table along with a nice tip, “Shall we?”
He held out his hand for me and we were off.


“So how was your date?” Gracie asked once we were ready for bed.
I shrugged, blushing.
“Ooh something happened. Tell!” Gracie begged.
“It wasn’t really a date, but he told me he liked me a lot,” I answered.
She scoffed, “Miri, he took you to a movie and dinner AT THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY. He also told you he LIKES you! If that wasn’t a date then I don’t know what is.”
I sighed, “I guess you’re right.”
“So you DO like him!” Gracie cheered.
I shook my head, “I don’t know. He’s cute and sweet and everything but I’m not sure.”
“You definitely do.” Maybe, but I didn't want to tell her just yet.

I shrugged her off by turning away and sinking down under my covers.

Before drifting off to sleep I heard faint typing. I turned slightly so I could see Grace. She was texting away with a devious smile on her face. I didn’t know what she was doing but I hoped I would find out soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
What's Gracie up to?
What about Alan?

Okay so I apologize because this is slightly boring, I just need something to put in to lead up to the concert. But comment/subscribe anyway <3 I love you all, I can't say that enough!

-and title thing - "You and I" by Anarbor ;)