Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 12.

“Smile,” Alan instructed, snapping a picture of me with his fancy camera.
I blushed lightly, smiling as best I could.
I was never one for photos, let alone photo shoots. However, I agreed to let Alan take a few shots. Why was beyond me.

He scrolled through the pictures, smiling at each and every one. I joined his side to get a look as well.
He turned his head to look at me, “You’re beautiful, did you know that?”
I blushed even harder.
He grinned at my reaction and kissed my cheek, quickly snapping a picture of us both.

I hated to admit it, but the picture was cute. There was a slight smile on my face and my cheeks were nearing scarlet. Alan was obviously grinning like mad as he planted the kiss on my cheek. I wouldn’t tell him that, though, he didn’t need to know.

It was now 5:30 and almost dark. Alan asked me if I felt like getting some dinner.
I shrugged, “Sure.”
He smiled once more, slipping our hands together and leading me towards town.

“So you’re friends are coming tomorrow…” Alan spewed randomly.
I didn’t understand why every time we were together he had to bring up my Arizona friends.
I nodded slowly, “Yes!”
He smiled slightly, “You excited?”
I nodded quicker this time, grinning wildly, “Beyond! You don’t understand how much I miss my cousin and my best friends.”

His smile faltered, “And John O?”
I sighed. When was he going to realize that I didn’t like John O, I liked NICK. Oh, I mean him!
“I’m going to be happy to see him, but we are only friends now,” It was then when I realized that Alan didn’t know anything about Nick.

“So Gracie gets to see her boy?” Alan chuckled and I looked at him funny.
“Who?”
He raised an eyebrow, speaking slowly, “That Nick guy.”
My jaw dropped, “What do you mean?”
“Nick is Gracie’s boyfriend…”He answered.
I shook my head, “Ex.”
He gave me a questioning look, “That’s not what she told me like last week?”
I returned his look, “Well he told me he broke up with her a while ago.”

Alan shrugged, “Whatever, it doesn’t matter right?”
He laughed it off as we continued on our venture.

Oh, how wrong he was. It did matter. Nick was mine even if I was crushing on Alan. Gracie had something up her sleeve and I needed to know what this was.


“I had a nice time tonight,” I was lying slightly. I just wanted to get inside and sleep so it could be tomorrow already.
Alan smiled and I stopped my previous thoughts. Alan was a sweet, innocent-type boy and I was passing him up. Yet again, passing up a great guy.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. What time are you heading to the venue?” Alan asked, squeezing the hand that I let him interlock with his own.
I shrugged, “I’m probably going to meet my friends as soon as they get here, but I will call you, okay?”
He nodded, his smile never faltering, “Night, Miri.”
Now I smiled for real and I leaned over to kiss his cheek. However, it was not his cheek that my lips met but that was fine. I didn’t mind.

Once Alan had left and I was in my bed I realized that Gracie mustn’t have been home. However, her phone was placed on her nightstand. She must have forgotten it.
I fought the urge to be nosy and fell back onto my bed, trying my best to close my eyes and fall asleep. I couldn’t.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t close my eyes for more than ten seconds. I though long and hard about things. What could Gracie be up to? Why would she be up to anything? She has been so nice to me…

Then I fell asleep.


I woke up feeling my phone vibration in my pocket for some reason. I felt around and remembered that I hadn’t changed after last night. My phone was shoved into the pocket of my jeans and it wouldn’t stop vibrating, signaling that someone was calling.

I flipped it out and answered it without looking at the Caller I.D.
“Hello?”
“Miri?” I instantly perked up.
“Josh?!!!” I sat up, running fingers through my hair.
I heard my cousin chuckling on the other line, “Hey cuz, I think we’re at your house…if the house is ginormous.”
I laughed, “It is! Oh my gosh, let me change and I will come down and get you guys, okay?”
I could see him nodding in my mind, “Of course! See ya soon cuz.”

I rocketed out of bed and over to my dresser. I grabbed the first things I saw, slipped on a pair of Toms and slid my leather jacket over my shoulders.
I checked myself in the mirror really quick. There was some leftover makeup from last night beneath my eyes and my hair didn’t look disgusting. Quickly, I ran a brush through my blond locks and then I ran down the stairs and out the door.

The first thing I spotted was my cousin with his newly dyed platinum blond hair. The next thing I spotted was the three white vans behind him and all of my friends surrounding them. The final thing I saw was what made me want to throw up, it made me so sick.

My smile was completely gone, I was sure my face was as pale as a ghost and I stopped dead in my tracks.
Josh’s smiling face became a questioning one, “Miri, what’s wrong?”
That’s when they stopped. She pulled her dumb blond head away from the dickhole of a fake ginger and turned to face me, a devious grin smacked on to her lips.

I shook my head, I wouldn’t let them know it hurt me because that’s obviously what she was trying to do, “Nothing, I just missed you so much!”

Josh pulled me into a hug and held me tight. He knew that I saw and he knew it upset me. And by the way he held me, I could tell that he was going to do anything in his power to protect me.

The next face I saw was Jess Bowen.
“Girl, I forgot how pretty you were,” She winked, pulling me in as well.

I smiled at her and hugged her back. I missed her so much.
John Gomez, one of my other very best friends came over to me next, hugging me and telling me that Anarbor was in town doing an acoustic show at an FYE mid-afternoon so we were going to head over and watch that.

I reunited with everyone even Andrew Cook! The only exception were these two people – The two people I was trying to escape when I left Arizona. Now, here they were and I didn’t know if the one I left wanting was whom I wanted anymore after I saw him sucking face with a blond slut.

“H-Hey Miri,” John O’Callaghan’s voice was quiet, like he was scared.
I smiled brightly at him, “Johnny.”
He wrapped me up in his arms and my hurt over Nick began to slip away.
“I missed you so much,” I could hear the smile in his voice as he kissed the top of my head lovingly.
“I missed you too, Johnny Boy.”
“Are you excited for the show tonight?” He asked. I knew HE was excited.
I laughed at his enthusiasm and nodded, before looking to Nick. He had an arm draped around Gracie’s waist. Right now, I wanted nothing more than to rip his arm off and chop her body in half.

I let it slide and made my way towards Nick to greet him.
I stood in front of him confused by the look he gave me. All he did was glare. What had I done wrong? I hadn’t hurt anybody yet and what I wanted was for him to hold me in his arms and tell me that he loves me like he did in Arizona and Ohio.

I turned away from him quickly and back to my friends. I didn’t need any of that today.


Anarbor had played almost all of their first EPs and half of their new album. Nick and Gracie hadn’t stopped sucking face since.

Halvo left his arm around me and John stood on the other side of me. I could tell that John was slightly peeved that I left Halvo hold me, but he was going to have to get over it.

“I want them to play-“ I was cut off from whispering to Halvo when Adam and Mike began into the exact song I was feeling at the moment.

“I woke up this morning, caught sleepin' in
And noticed the sun was creeping in.
I picture some people I've never seen
One family's love can spark my dreams.

The coldest year we've had-
Oh so far from Mom and Dad.
Colored pills and alcohol-
We'll make it better after all.

And I'll... I'll get through this,
No one can stop me now.
Time is useless when your head's caught up in the clouds.”


Halvo swayed with me as the song went on. He knew very well that this was my favorite song by Anarbor and he knew that I was going to tell him that prior.

Slade’s voice sounded throughout the store but all I could hear were the noises of Nick and Gracie’s lips coming in contact.

Halvo and John could tell that I was close to exploding. My fists balled up and I ignored Halvo’s attempts to keep me swaying with him.

“Time flies by when you love someone,
And the hands stand still when it's overdone.
But getting caught up inside of my past,
Friends come and go, but only family will last.

The coldest year we've had-
Oh so far from Mom and Dad.
Colored leaves fall from the trees;
I just try to make you proud of me.

And I'll... I'll get through this,
No one can stop me now.
Time is useless when your head's caught up in the clouds.”


I looked between the kids intently watching, singing along and video taping Anarbor play the song, and the two making out in the corner. I tried so hard to fight the urge to freak out. Believe me, I tried so unbelievably hard. But it was too hard seeing as I don’t know what I did wrong with Nick and I don’t know why Gracie would betray me like this.

Halvo leaned towards me, placing a lip by my ear, “Don’t do anything dumb, Miri.”
John reached over and squeezed my shoulder, saying he agreed.

I shook my head. I shook them both off of me. I didn’t want to interrupt my favorite song, but I was pissed as hell.

CAN YOU JUST LISTEN TO THE GODDAMN SONG? BE FUCKING RESPECTFUL YOU ASSHOLES,” I lost it.
The music stopped and everyone turned to look at me, including Nick and Gracie. Nick had a look on his face, a silent apology, but it wasn’t sincere enough and Gracie had the same devious smile.

Halvo and John sighed and the great Andrew Cook intervened, “Come on bear, let’s get you out of here.”

Andrew dragged me out of the FYE store and over to his van. About now, I was close to tears.

He shoved me into the van but not in a rough manner and slid himself in beside me.

His arms engulfed me and I let my tears fall, “What did I do, Andrew?”
“Just now? You yelled like a mad woman in the middle of Anarbor’s song,” He joked lightly.
I scoffed, slapping him on the side lightly, “I meant to make Nick hate me.”
He looked down at me, “Honestly? He was telling us about your new boyfriend here.”
I raised my eyebrow in question, “My new boyfriend?”
“Yeah, Adam or Alex or Andy…something like that,” He waved it off.
My eyes widened. “Alan is definitely not my boyfriend. We are just friends who have been on like two dates.”
I was lying slightly but the thought of losing Nick was too fresh in my mind for me to think straight.

Andrew shrugged, “Then I don’t know what’s going on.”
I came to a sudden realization, “Gracie told him. Gracie made it up she told him that I went on a date with Alan and…Oh my god that bitch!”
Andrew rubbed my back slowly, “Calm down, Miri.”
I inhaled and exhaled deeply.

“It’s going to be alright, bear.” Andrew said, looking down at me with sad eyes.
At least someone was sincere.

Sooner than later, the store was emptying out and John O’Callaghan replaced my friend. Why I kissed him then, I really have no idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
UNF OH, So all of you who were skeptical about Gracie, here you go!

This took me a while and I apologize. I wrote the verrry first part LAST WEEK and I finished the rest between midnight and ten minutes ago -_-

Okay so four CDs you have to pick up on iTunes:
Anarbor's "The Words You Don't Swallow" (http://bit.ly/bYFtva)
The Bigger Lights' Self Titled (http://bit.ly/brlImb)
The Great Valley's "Wrecking Ball EP" (http://bit.ly/8ZWRPK)
& The Rocket Summer's "Of Men & Angels" (http://bit.ly/bcPE61) -because I saw him Sunday night and he was fucking fantastic!
AND I LOVE YOU ALL <3

and uhhh Subtitle Credit: "Useless" by Anarbor