Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 14.

I woke up the next morning just in time to see the van pulling into a cute little diner.
“Morning girl,” Gomez said to me, turning in the passenger seat to face me.
I gave him a tired smile, “Hey Baby Gomez.”
He stuck out his tongue at me while I stretched, leaning my head on the shoulder next to me.
“Miri,” Jess whined.
I chuckled, snuggling into her side, “You’re so comfy, Jeff.”
Jess groaned, pushing me off of her.
I turned to the window and eyed the diner.
I could already taste the sweet French toast and eggs.


“No, you may not get French toast and chocolate chip pancakes,” Josh warned me, peering over his menu.
I pouted, “Then you get the cakes, I’ll get the toast and we can share!”
He shook his head and before he could reply properly, I cut in, “Dude, we all know you are going to get chocolate chip pancakes.”
Josh scoffed while looking at the faces surrounding the table, which all agreed with me.

All twenty of us took up two tables. My table was Josh, the Gomez brothers, Jess, Nick, Andrew, Pat, Garrett and Dylan.

“Fine,” Josh grumbled, “but just one pancake for you!”
I laughed slightly, nodding, “Whatever you want, cuz.”

Our food arrived soon. I had a plate full of French toast and chocolate chip pancakes and more. Let’s just say, I was starved.

Suddenly, I saw a fork reach onto my plate. I looked up at its controller.
“Nick! Give me my turkey sausage back!” I whined, crossing my arms and pouting.
He chuckled, taking a large bite.
My mouth fell open, “You douche!”
He shrugged, “You love me.”
I shook my head, “Never, you sausage stealer.”
He raised an eyebrow, testing me.
I stood my ground.
“Oh really?” He whispered as he leaned his face towards mine like he was going to kiss me.
Dumbly, I took the bait. Our lips were centimeters apart and my eyes were closed when he moved his lips to my ear, “You’re adorable when you get mad.”

My jaw dropped again and I pushed him away lightly, “dick!”
He smiled, “See, you love me, you wanted me to kiss you.”
I shook my head, turning towards Jess and away from him.

I felt his arms wrap around my body as he whispered, “Stop being so adorable, please.”
I blushed this time. I couldn’t control myself anymore. I turned back to him and pecked him quickly on the lips.
I could see the accomplishment on his face as he spoke, “I knew you loved me.”
I rolled my eyes but stopped.

I had never told him that I loved him.

I cracked a small smile, “I’m suddenly not as hungry as I was…”
Nick’s features changed, he was now excited, “Let’s go outside!”
Everyone gave us weird looks as we hopped up and headed for the door.

Once outside, he pushed me against the brick wall on the side of the building.
It was a soft push, enough to keep me locked in. I placed my hands on either side of his waist while his remained on the brick, surrounding my head.
“Nick,” I began, looking down at his belt loop that I was currently playing with.
“Yeah, Miri?” He asked quietly, slowly resting his forehead against mine, making me bring my eyes to meet his.
“I’ve never told you this but…” I paused.

Did I want to say this? Saying this meant that Nick had my heart and that he was free to do with it what he wished.

“But?” He pulled his head away, anticipating my next statement.
“I love you, Nick,” My voice was quiet as I spoke and I was looking down at my feet, but I meant it.
I could hear the smile in his voice, “What was that? I couldn’t hear you.”
He picked up my chin with his hand, forcing our eyes to connect.
I was blushing, this much I was certain, “I love you.”
His smile was bigger than I assumed it had been.
He brought his lips to my ear and whispered, “I love you too, Miri,” before kissing my cheek tenderly.


“Guys, this is Chris, Nathan, Caleb, Taylor, Hayden, and Nick. They’re gonna be joining us for the rest of the dates,” John O’Callaghan introduced the men.
They needed no introduction for me. I knew who Never Shout Never and crew were.
Never Shout Never had become a MySpace phenomenon and was quite popular with the ladies. Now, up-close and personal, I understood why.

O’Callaghan introduced everyone to the newcomers. I brought it upon myself to force a private introduction.

Chris smiled at me as I made my way over, “Hi Chris, I’m Miri.”
He nodded, keeping the smile on his face, “Chris. How do you do?”
I blushed, “I am fantastic. This tour was seriously the best. Now it’s even better.”
He chuckled, “I sure hope so. Who are you with?”
“The Summer Set,” I answered coolly.
He raised an eyebrow, “No boyfriend?”
I thought about Nick whom had never asked me the question that I willed him to ask earlier this morning, “Nope.”
He shook his head, “That’s crazy. An adorable girl like you – no boy friend??”
He was stunned.

I shrugged, “What are you gonna do, you know?”
He nodded, “I know what I’m gonna do.”
My eyes questioned his statement.
He waved it off, “I should probably go find Nathan. I’ll see you later, Miri.”
I swear I saw him wink as he walked off towards the short drummer.

What has that boy got up his sleeve?


The next morning, I woke up next to Nick in a hotel room.
He was still sound asleep and I didn’t want to wake him.
Instead, I snuggled closer to him, burying my face in his armpit.
I felt him stirring next to me. I moved my head to look up at him and he was smiling down at me.
“Morning sunshine,” He whispered, leaning slightly to place a soft kiss on my forehead.
Before he could escape, I left a kiss on his lips, “Morning, rock star.”

I must say, I used that with John O all the time, but I loved being able to say it.
“Want to go get some breakfast?” Nick asked after a while of just laying there together.
I nodded, “Sounds delicious!”

I stayed in my pajamas and slipped into some of Josh’s Adidas sandals. Nick did the same, only putting on his own shoes.

Once downstairs, we were met by a majority of our friends in the dining area.
John O’Callaghan greeted us first, “Boy, do I love a good, continental breakfast!”
Then, he proceeded to shove a forkful of eggs in his mouth.
We laughed at him before making our way to the buffet of food.

I was putting a bagel in the toaster when I was distracted. Of course, they had one of those waffle makers with the batter and I completely abandoned my bagel. Christofer, unfortunately, had beat me to the last of the batter.
“Dude, seriously?” I whined, crossing my arms, once I was next to him.
He laughed, “I’ll give you half of it.”
I sighed, “Alright, I guess that will do.”

He poured the batter in, closed the waffle maker and then flipped it, starting the timer.
“How’d you sleep?” He asked casually while we waited.
I shrugged, “Can’t complain.”
I thought of the slightly tipsy events from last night, Nick and I under the covers. I couldn’t deny, he was extraordinary in bed, “How about you?”
He copied me, “I’ve slept better.”
I eyed him curiously, “Oh really?”
He nodded, “I prefer to have someone like you by my side.”
I could feel my face flushing. Chris was like Nick in many ways and his bluntness was definitely part of it.

I turned away so he could see my face as little as possible. My eyes caught sight of the pastries.
Chris chuckled as I pulled over a glazed, cheese pastry and stuffed half of it in my mouth.
“You’re the least girl of a girl I’ve ever met,” Chris laughed a bit more.
I shrugged, “Jess and I are very similar, we love food and all of our best friends are guys. You get used to it.”
He nodded in understanding, still smiling widely. He opened his mouth to speak but the timer went off.
Perfect timing, I thought.

Quickly, I flipped the waffle out and ripped it in half, keeping the bigger half for myself.
“Enjoy,” I winked at him.
He watched me dumbfounded as I grabbed another pastry, my cup of hot chocolate and headed off towards a table with Nick, Andrew and Jess.
“Hey sweetheart, that looks good,” Nick admired my plate of food before kissing my cheek as I sat down.
I smiled, looking back over at Chris who was watching me in amazement and confusion at the same time, “It is!”

I looked across the table to Andrew who winked at me knowingly.
Andrew had been there for me even when I didn’t know him well and it was safe to say, he was one of my favorite people on tour.

Everyone was packed now, for the most part. I grabbed the pack of Camels out of Nick’s jacket pocket and took them outside with me. Of course, the sight of Chris doing exactly what I had planned on doing greeted me.

He looked up from his lighter and cigarette slowly, “Hey Miri.”
I smiled weakly, “Chris.”
“You smoke?” He asked, putting his lighter away and taking a drag from the stick.
I nodded, lighting my own cigarette and putting it to my mouth.
He blew out the smoke in one puff, “So you lied.”
I let out the smoke I had been holding in, “What?”
“You have a boyfriend,” He sighed, taking another drag.
I shook my head, “I do not.”
“Nick?” He offered, flicking some ashes off of his cigarette.
I shook my head once more, “He isn’t my boyfriend. We have a complicated relationship, I guess.”
He shrugged, “You wanna tell me about it.”
I sighed, “Maybe another time.”

Then, my cousin emerged from the automatic doors of the hotel, “Hey kids!”
I rolled my eyes at him, handing him my cigarette.
He took a long as drag, too long for my liking, and then handed it back, blowing out his smoke in my face purposely.
“Douche,” I coughed, taking another drag myself.
He laughed at me, “We gotta get rolling.”

I turned to Chris, “I guess I’ll see you at the venue, then.”
He nodded, “I wanna talk tonight, Miri.”
I shrugged, not agreeing or disagreeing.
“I’m serious,” He warned as I stalked off with Josh towards our van.
“I get it,” I called back to him before opening the passenger door to the large, white van.


The whole ride to the venue was eventful and uneventful all at once. I texted Nick for a majority of the time. All through that, we jammed to random music on the radio and Little Gomez kept poking me on the back of my head. Other than that, nothing happened. We were bored kids.

"Miri!" Pat nearly attacked my car door once our van had pulled in and parked by the venue.
I laughed at the door and yelled, "Move, Pat! I can't get out!"
He pouted, peeling himself from the door.
I unbuckled my seatbelt and met Pat outside in a hug.
"I missed you, I feel like it's been forever," He said as he squeezed me tightly.
"It has been, hasn't it," I frowned, looking down at the scrawny boy.
His face lit up with an idea, "Want to go get lunch with me?"
I laughed as his enthusiasm, "Of course, Pancake."
Pat frowned at his old nickname.
"What?" I asked, amused.
"You haven't called me that since you moved here," He wrapped his arms around himself.
I nodded, "You better get used to it again."
He pouted again, "Miriiiiiii."
I giggled as I began walking off towards the restaurants.
"Miri, wait for me!"
I turned around smiling and held out my arm for him. Our arms interlocked and we were off for food.


“This sandwich is amazing!” Pat marveled at the pieces of bread in his hands.
We were at a place called Earl of Sandwiches near the Fillmore Auditorium in Denver.
I chuckled, “I’m telling you, after the show we have to hit up that Pita/Hookah bar. The guys would love it.”
“You would too,” Pat looked at me accusingly.
I questioned his look.
“You’ve been smoking.”
I scoffed, “Whoa, momma Patrick.”
He raised eyebrows at me, “It’s not good, Miri.”
I shrugged, “I could quit if I wanted to.”
“But you don’t want to,” He sighed, “and that isn’t good.”

I sighed, picking up my sandwich off of my plate and taking a rather large bite.
“Why did you start, Miri?” Pat asked me with sincere eyes.
I put my sandwich back down and chewed, “I need something to keep me sane.”
“And Nick doesn’t?” Pat asked, his eyes showing disappointment.
I shrugged, “He should. I love him so much, Pat.”
“But that’s not enough, is it?”
I shook my head, “I feel like he’s there for me but he isn’t keeping me fully occupied, you know?”
Pat sighed, “Sort of. He isn’t keeping your attention.”
I nodded, “Not completely. I mean, we’re a ‘thing’ right? Why won’t he ask me to be his girlfriend?”
Pat shrugged, “Maybe it’s hard for him.”
I groaned, letting his words sink in. If it was “hard” for Nick, then how can he even love me? He already knew that I loved him. I swear, if he doesn’t ask me soon then I’m gonna have to give some other people a try…
♠ ♠ ♠
Welp. I'm leaving for Bamboozle the day after tomorrow, so I thought I should get this up now! :D
I hope it doesn't disappoint hahaha, I re-read it a bunch of times and it still probably sucks...

OH WELL.
AND. Uhm. I love lies; unanswered. She never ceases to comment me and it's fantastic. Read her John O story: To Be Loved, To Be Loved!

One more thing... Subtitle jawn credit: "Closer" by My Favorite Highway.