Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 15.

I stood side stage while Rocket played. Every now and then, Nick would look over and we would make eye contact. I felt my face flush briefly and then once I recovered, I went back to singing along.

“Miri,” I nearly jumped when I felt a tap on my shoulder.
I turned to the tapper and found myself face to face with Chris.
I smiled slightly at him before continuing to sing along with Mr. Right, the boys newest song.
“You like this song?” Chris asked, his lips brushing my ear lightly.
I nodded, trying to hide the blush on my face, “I love all of Nick’s songs.”
“When are we going to talk?” He asked casually.
I shrugged, “Never?”
Chris gave me a look, “Miri.”
I sighed, “After Rocket, okay?”
Chris shook his head, “As soon as they are done, Nick will want you all to himself. Just come with me now.”

I contemplated this as Nick sang his heart out on stage. Our eyes met again and I felt my cheeks getting hot. If I left while Nick was playing he would surely notice and question me about it later. However, would it really matter that I was out talking to Chris? I didn’t belong to Nick; he wasn’t my boyfriend. He hasn’t asked me to be his girlfriend like I wish he had and that isn’t my fault. I can talk to other guys as much as I want.

Finally, I replied, “Okay.”


“So you aren’t with Nick and you never have been?” Chris repeated, confirming that he understood everything I had been telling him.
I nodded, “But we do like each other a lot and we have for a few years. I’m just really confused right now.”
Chris understood, “You should give other people a chance if he’s going to be dumb and not ask you to be his girlfriend. I know girls want exclusive relationships, not the shit he’s giving you.”
“I was thinking the same thing,” I referred to giving other people a chance as I shyly looked up at Chris.

To my surprise, he was looking back at me and our eyes connected. It was then when I wanted nothing more but for him to kiss me. It’s not like I liked Chris, a small crush, perhaps, but I loved Nick.

He put a hand on my waist as if he had been reading my mind.
Automatically my arms wrapped around his neck and just like that, we kissed. Nothing extravagant, just a long kiss.

I heard the back door to the venue open and voices pouring out of it.
“Is that Miri?” I heard the voice of a one Eric Halvorsen.
Immediately, I snapped away from Chris and wheeled around to see the four boys of Rocket, plus half of the The Maine.

The first person I made eye contact with was John O’Callaghan. He was giving me a disappointed look and turned away quickly, leaving me to find the gaze of Nick Santino. Nick looked hurt more than disappointed and disgusted, but he was showing signs of all three.
“Nick,” I peeped, quietly protesting and denying anything that he had just seen happen.
He shook his head and walked away, back through the door to god knows where.

The rest of the guys just stood there staring at Chris and I. I felt myself sniffle and Chris turned me to face him, “Forget about him.”
I sighed, “I can’t.”
He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into him and holding me tight.
“Just try, for right now.”
And I did.


I woke up on the floor of some van that I didn’t recognize until I sat up and found myself face to face with Nathan Ellison.
“Mornin’ Miriam,” Nathan saluted me.
“What happened?”
He chuckled, “Chris brought you back to our van after a while and then you just passed out, nothing serious.”
I nodded, sitting up and brushing dust off of me, “Good morning then, Nathan.”
He smiled, “Want to go get breakfast? Everyone else is inside eating.”
I grinned, hopping out of the van and pulling Nathan with me.

Inside the IHOP, everyone took up about half the restaurant.
Chris sat at a table with the rest of The Shout plus Nick and Jeremy.
I felt a glare on my back as I sat down across from Chris, next to Nathan.
“Good morning,” Chris smiled at me, as did the rest of the boys.

I nodded to them, not yet ready to smile in the presence of the glaring boy behind me, “Morning.”

Chris shot me a worried look and I just waved it off.
“When are we ordering?” I asked, already knowing what I was interested in.
I heard high-pitched giggles from the table behind ours. Knowing that Jess did not laugh that high – ever, I turned to look.

A tall, blond waitress was leaning over the table talking to Nick.
He was smiling at her and talking about god knows what.

“Hey,” Nathan whispered in my ear.
I turned to him.
“Don’t pay him any attention.”
I nodded, giving one last, quick glance towards Nick and the waitress. In that moment our eyes met for one last time, then it was gone.
I turned back to the table, my eyes on the selection of syrups.

That was the last time Nick and I had any eye contact for a while.

(A Week Later)→
“Come on, Miri,” My cousin whined.
I shook my head; I wasn’t going to sell their merch tonight.
“But Dylan wants to watch our set!”
I shrugged, “Ask Bam to watch over the table.”
Josh sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, “Miri, it’s been almost over a week.”

It’s been almost over a week since Nick saw me kissing Chris. I thought about how I felt in that moment. I knew Nick had it coming because he hadn’t acted as fast as others, but I knew it was wrong and immature. However, Chris made me feel as if it didn’t matter. He made me numb and I liked that feeling.

“I don’t care, I’m not going to do it.”
Josh rolled his eyes, “Whatever, you’re so different now and you’re not fooling anyone.”
I sighed, closing my eyes and leaning my head onto the seat of the van bench. I let my cousin walk away from me, angry and unsettled. I didn’t want to deal with his shit or anyone else’s. I wanted to be with Chris and a cigarette.

I lifted my phone off of the seat beside my head and went straight for Chris’s number.
Within minutes, he was leaning against The Summer Set’s van with me, smoking a cigarette.

“Josh is just jealous,” Chris said.
I didn’t understand him completely but I really didn’t care.
I shrugged, “Tour is over soon, right?”
He nodded, taking a drag from his cigarette.
I sighed, “I don’t want to go home. Nick is going to be hanging around all of my friends.”
Chris thought for a moment, “Come to Missouri with me and the guys.”
“Really?” I raised my eyebrows.
He nodded, “Definitely.”
I smiled, now excited for the week to come. It was Monday now and Friday was the last night of tour, Ohio nonetheless. It didn’t matter because soon I would be as far away from Nick as I could possibly be without being alone. This was enough for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright so, a little short? Sorry, I didn't know what else to write. I have so much school work right now and I'm stressing out, this is the only thing to take my mind off of it! Anddd I know you will not all be happy with this but that sucks because this is how it is going to go ^_^

Subtitle: Heaven Or Hell by The Morning Of (from their new album, "The Way I Fell In" which is actually really good, I'm listening for the first time now)

Also, does anyone write one-shots? I would very much like one!!

<3 you allllllllll!