Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 5.

Only a week had gone by and John and I were beyond content with each other. We were like that new, cutesy couple. Jess and the others teased us relentlessly. Strangely enough though, I rarely saw her. I started going to The Maine’s practices and having movie nights with just them instead of my cousin and The Summer Set. However tonight, The Maine and The Summer Set were playing a show with two other local bands, This Century and Anarbor. I was, obviously, going to be there.

“What should I wear?” I asked Jess as I stood in front of my closet, Jess lay on my bed.
“You’ve been to a show before, Miri,” She reminded me.
I rolled my eyes, “I don’t know, this time it just feels different.”
“Well,” Jess sighed, hopping off of my bed and joining me next to my closet, “It’s really not, but I’ll help you.”
I grinned, squeezing Jess into a tight hug, causing her to laugh.

I picked out some light skinny jeans and a striped tank top along with my usual accessories, make up and red Toms.
“Spicy,” Jess squealed once I let her see how I looked it.
I rolled my eyes, shoving her slightly.
“What time are we heading out?”
She shrugged, checking the time on her phone, “Stephen should be here…” We heard a car horn, “Now.”
We laughed together as we linked arms and headed down the stairs.
I grabbed my gray tote by the door and called out to Josh before I realized that Josh was already out by the white van in our street.

“Finally,” John G scoffed as Jess and I made our venture down the walkway.
Once we were close enough, I smacked John on the arm, “Calm down, buddy.”
He stuck his tongue out at me before slipping back into his seat and rolling up his window

To our unsurprise, Brian, Josh, Stephen and Josh were all there.
“You guys ready to get crazy?” Brian asked Jess and I.
Jess ignored him, continuing to pick at her maroon colored nail polish.
I chuckled, “Always, B. Am I alone in the merch department this evening?”
Josh shrugged, “We can always help out before and after sets.”
I nodded in understanding.

We drove off towards the venue, all anxiously awaiting the night to begin.


“Can’t stop, won’t stop; I must be dreaming,” John O sang the last line of their last song before thanking the crowd and joining me on the side of the stage.

He kissed my forehead lightly, “How were we?”
“Fantastic as always,” I gave him a thumbs up and he smiled, kissing my cheek this time.

He pulled me down off the stage and back to The Summer Set’s merch booth.
Josh and Dylan had let me go back to watch The Maine while they took over my post at the table.
“I love you cousin,” I gave Josh a hug when John O and I arrived.
He stuck his tongue out and I laughed while I gave Dylan a hug as well before taking back my spot.

“By the way, John, some kid came by looking for you, I told him you were about to go on so he went over by the bar,” Josh said, looking to John O.
John nodded, “Who was it?”
Josh shrugged, “Some redhead kid.”
My eyes widened and I avoided John’s gaze. He was looking at me I could feel it.
What was Nick doing here so soon?

“I’ll be right back,” John mumbled as he headed off towards the bar.
Once he was gone, I slapped Josh’s arm.
“Ow, what was that for?” He whined.
I glared at him, “The redhead kid is Nick, the guy from Ohio that I liked.”
Josh cursed under his breath, “Why didn’t you say so?”
“I didn’t want John to assume anything,” I groaned, letting my face fall into my hands.

I heard awkward laughing coming closer and closer.
Josh whispered, “Here they come now.”
“Hey guys,” John spoke, gaining my attention as well as my eyes.
John locked eyes with me but his gaze was hateful and it hurt to look at him.
I shifted my gaze to the redhead beside him.
Nick’s expression was soft mixed with confusion.

“This is Nick, he’s from Massachusetts,” John’s voice was icy, “This is Dylan, Josh and well, you know Miri.”
I was shooting daggers at John. It was strange how one minute we were totally smitten and the next minute we were pissed as hell.

Nick waved awkwardly.
“Hey buddy,” Josh smiled and grabbed Dylan, “Why don’t you come with us? We will introduce you to everyone else,” Josh grabbed Nick as well and pulled them off to a different table.

John and I were left, glaring at each other.
Finally I spoke, “John, this is ridiculous.”
He rolled his eyes.
“John, stop being immature,” I crossed my arms over my chest, “I love you, John. You don’t see me hopping all over Nick’s dick.”
His expression finally softened and he came closer to me, placing his hands on my sides, “I know, I just don’t like him.”
Now I rolled my eyes, “John, you have nothing to worry about.”
My pout disappeared when John’s lips pressed against mine, “I’ll take your word for it.”


“I’ll be back,” John pecked my cheek before heading off to meet some fans.

“Hey,” I heard a small, redhead’s voice from behind me.
I spun around, “Hi.”
He stuck his hands in his pockets, “So you’re with John.”
It was more of a statement, so I didn’t exactly know how to respond. I just nodded.
Nick shrugged, “I broke up with Grace.”

His words burned in my brain. Nick broke up with her...for me?
“Oh,” I replied quietly.
“Miri,” Nick groaned slightly, “Can’t we talk like normal people? We were so close for so long, I don’t know how we can just be so awkward all of a sudden.”
I sighed, “One word, Nick. One word, three letters and I hope you know what I’m referring to.”
He nodded, dropping his gaze to the bathroom. Sex was the word of course. Sex was the death of us.

“I’m sorry, Miri,” Nick mumbled.
I shook my head, “I should be sorry.”
He gave me a questioning look.
“I didn’t plan on liking John, it just kind of happened and well, you were off with Grace and I figured we wouldn’t happen anyway, so I chose John.”
He disagreed, “If I had broken up with Gracie sooner…”
I shrugged.

Nick opened his mouth to speak but John G interrupted us.
“Hey Ms. Montgomery,” The goofy brunette smiled, placing an arm around my shoulder.
I chuckled, “I don’t know if you guys have met, but Nick, this is John Gomez.”
“Howdy,” John saluted at the redhead.
Nick offered a weak smile, “I’m gonna head to my hotel for the night, I’ll see you guys around.”
I sighed and closed my eyes, hearing the sound of his cowboy boots hitting the pavement, “Wait, Nick.”
He wheeled around and our eyes instantly connected, “Yeah Miri?”
I almost forgot my place, “I need your number, I don’t have it.”
He nodded, making his way back to his previous spot.

We exchanged numbers solemnly and then he was finally off.
“So that’s the guy huh?” John asked me quietly.
“What?” My eyes widened.
“It’s so obvious, Miri. Nick is the guy from Ohio, isn’t he?”
I shrugged again, “Doesn’t really matter.”
John scoffed, “In who’s eyes? John’s? Yours? Nick’s? I’m pretty sure it means something to all three of you.”
I groaned, “I always told myself I would never be part of a love triangle.”
John laughed this time, patting me on the shoulder lightly, “Welcome to the club, Miri.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I hope this wasn't *too* late. I triiiied to get it out, but I've been a bit busy.
More comments would be LOVELY <3 and subscriptions are cool too...sort of.

Counting down the days til Jonny Craig/Eye Alaska: 8