Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Chapter 7.

“You’re so lame, John,” I teased him as I poked at the food he brought for us. We were sitting in his truck bed – in the 8123 Parking lot, John’s favorite place to be, besides with me…another lame thing about him.

I wish John would just not like me, and then it would be so much easier to deal with this Nick thing. However, John loved me. I thought I loved him too. I obviously have a problem with knowing whether I’m in love or not.

John stuck his tongue out at me as he fit a piece of lettuce into his mouth.
“Eeew,” I squealed, turning my head away from the scene.
John chuckled, which brought a blush to my face.
He put a hand to my face, turning it back to face him, “You’re so pretty.”

The way he said it was enough for Nick to invade my brain once more.

I pushed my food away and closed my eyes, falling onto my back.
John put his food down, “You ok?”
I nodded, “Just thinking.”
He ran his fingers through my blond locks, “About what?”
I sighed, catching sight of a cloud in the shape of a tree, “Life.”
I turned my gaze so my eyes met his. That seemed to be the lone time when John was the only one on my mind. When our eyes locked, nothing else seemed important.
He smiled, “I love you.”
I smiled back and sat up to face him, “You too.”
He brushed a piece of my hair away and tucked it behind my ear. As the space between our lips decreased, a million thoughts ran through my mind; some about John, some about Nick, but mostly about Nick. Our lips met and my mind went blank.


John dropped me off at my house and now I was alone. Josh and I were living in a small one-story together, however, Josh was out with the Gomez brothers and the rest of his band. I was alone. I changed into blue sweatpants and a maroon colored tank top. I threw on a pair of socks and placed my reading glasses on the bridge of my nose. I was staying in tonight and I decided to read a bit before anyone came over.

I was half way into the fourth chapter of Invisible Monsters when Shannon was daydreaming about Evie and her at the department stores, when I heard a light knock on the door.

I sighed, getting up from my place on the couch and making my way towards the ivory tinted door. I didn’t bother checking through the peephole and just flung the door open. As soon as I opened it, I wished I had looked through the eye hole in the first place.

“Hey,” the faux-ginger haired boy smiled sheepishly.
I smiled slightly, “What are you doing here?”
He shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pockets, “I wanted to see you again.”
I was sure I was blushing, I felt the heat up and down my cheeks, reaching my neck, “Oh. Come in.”
He nodded, smiling with a bit more confidence this time.

He followed me inside and back to the long, brown, suede couch that I had been seated on moments before.
He hesitated with taking a seat, but when I gestured to the spot next to me, he automatically fell back.

“You don’t have to be awkward, you know,” I pointed out.
He chuckled, “I know, it’s just easier, I guess.”
“Easier?” I questioned.
He nodded, “It strains me from doing…anything.”
I cocked my head to the side, still confused, begging him to explain with my eyes.
“Never mind, I’m sorry for being awkward,” He smiled slightly, crossing his right leg over his left and leaning further back against the couch.
I eyed him skeptically however went on, “Do you want to watch a movie or something?”
He shrugged. “Sure.”

We chose a cute, cartoon; Up. We had both seen it before, however we were intently watching, afraid that if we didn’t pay attention, something might happen.

In the middle of the movie, I felt my stomach rumble, “Hey, do you want some popcorn?”
Nick glanced my way before looking back to the movie quickly, “Why not?”
I smiled at his indifferent attitude.

I made my way to the small kitchen, reaching into the cabinet and pulling out an unpopped bag of popcorn. I walked slowly to the microwave and threw in the bag, pressing the “popcorn” button and leaning back against the counter. It seemed like it was all in one swift motion.

The popcorn was close to being finished, but I was in no rush, I decided to get some drinks while I was at it. I found some apple juice in the fridge, “Nick?” I called out.
“Yeah?” I heard his voice coming down the hall.
“Uh…” I almost forgot my question when he appeared in the doorway “is Apple juice alright?”
He laughed, “Of course.”
I smiled as best I could. I felt my heart beating up in my throat and I knew this wasn’t good.
“Uhh, the popcorn’s done?” It came out as more of a question than a statement.
He raised an eyebrow, “I can see that.”
He took a step towards me. Automatically, I took a step back.
This continued until I was up against the counter and Nick’s hands were on either side of me, locking me in place.

I opened my mouth to speak, but when our eyes met, no words came out. John was the last thing on my mind; all I could remember was that night four years ago with Nick and I in my mom’s car.

Nick spoke first, “Why are you with John, Miri?”
I tried to speak again, failing miserably, “I-I…”
Nick sighed, “I thought we were perfect.”
I scoffed, “So did I until I saw that blond chick.”
“So John is because of Gracie?” He eyed me skeptically.
I shook my head furiously, “I love John.”
The look in his eyes said that he didn’t believe me, “I’m sure you do, Miri.”
I nodded, “I really do, Nick. And unlike you, he asked me to be his girlfriend, he is so sweet to me, Nick.”
He rolled his eyes, “I can do it better,” His lips came dangerously close to mine, but didn’t touch.

My breathing stopped, he was too much to handle. I couldn’t take it anymore. I brought my hands up to his cheeks, pulling his face towards mine. Our lips met and I felt an explosion of electricity run through my veins.

I knew this was wrong. Nick and I stayed there, making out, for more than ten minutes. We stood there for that long and I still knew, in the back of my mind, that it was totally wrong. John is my number one; he’s supposed to be the one I’m kissing.

It wasn’t until Nick’s hands found their way up my back to the hook of my bra that I pushed him away.
“Miriam,” He moaned.
I gave him a look, still feeling turned on from Nick’s touch, “I can’t.’
He pulled me closer, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck, “I love you so much, Miri, I need this.”
I sighed, his spiel convincing me slightly, “Nick.”
“Mm,” He kissed my neck lightly, “Just one time.”
I wanted him now, “I don’t know…”
“You know you want to…” I heard the smile in his voice, making me want him even more.
“Fine,” I spoke quickly, unbuttoning his blue, plaid shirt as I finished speaking.


It was 10:00 PM when I heard the door open. Nick’s barely clothed body lay next to me, his arms surrounding me.
“Miri?” I instantly shot up out of the bed.
I knew that voice anywhere. It was John O’Callaghan, AKA my boyfriend, and here in my bed was a half naked boy who would probably punch out my boyfriend.

I shoved Nick out of bed, waking him up and pushed him into my closet. I shoved his clothes in after him and threw my door open, nearly knocking my boyfriend off of his feet.

The big smile he had been wearing faltered, “You ok? I thought I’d stop by…I probably should have called, you were sleeping.”
I smiled as best I could, “John, you’re rambling. Just come in.”
He smiled back at me, wholeheartedly and followed me in to my room. He kicked off his sandals and pulled his t-shirt over his head, leaving his basketball shorts on.

His body engulfed my own, immediately forcing the guilt to wash over me. I knew John’s rough skin was rubbing against mine, but all I felt was Nick’s soft, pale skin.

This was so wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
OOOOOH. What do you guys think? How do you feel about this? Comments are greatttly appreciated <3 (I love all my subscribers too, but I will favor you more for commenting ok)

Sorry my updates take so long :\
I go to a lot of shows and I have a bunch of HW so... yeah :)
I love you guyssss!

ps. OH I THOUGHT THIS CHAPTER HIGHLIGHTED THE TITLE VERY WELL. sorry for caps, I got excited. Get it. On a lonely night? The song/title of this story? This stuff happens "on a lonely night" for Miri? I'm a genius ok.